The Alps

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Tom's 180's
Dirty

The Alps

Post by Tom's 180's » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:55 am

Hey, long time since i logged in here - what's up?

Has anyone ever taken a boarding trip to the Alps? Would you recommend it? Where would you recommend? Many thanks.

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:14 pm

Frech guys did... :D
I proposed to cross the Alps this year (by foot and boards), but they said we should do it across Pyrenees.... much better
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:57 pm

i've done 3 summer tours to the alps, varying from a week to a month in length (wish i was a student again!). Do it.
If you want to properly enjoy your riding, ride a brake board and the better your brakes the easier life will be. See them more as a decelerator.
Loads of different types of track to be had from the ski lifts (Courchevel, Morzine, Tignes plus a load of smaller resorts). We've ridden nasty scree slopes, endless firetrack, piste, road, singletrack and downhill mountainbike runs. Longest run on mixed terrain was a leg-buggering 36km.
Golden rule is, ride with a baguette and a yoghurt in your bag and protect your lunch at all costs, it makes you a better rider.
If you want an easy trip speak to the guys at pleisure holidays in courcheval. Plan it around summer lift opening times and make use of the free bus up the mountain. I think Mark Sewell is staying out there this summer so there would be a handy local guide there too. My favourite run in the world is in courcheval, grand carrey. You could just ride that for a week solid and not get bored!
If you want a longer trip for the same money, live like a hobo. I've slept more than one night at altitude in the passenger seat of a ford mondeo in a car park. If you can take a van then you can camp near enough anywhere, campervans are very well looked after. Roughing it adds to the experience too. Stumbling across a mountain lake when you've not had a shower in a week and have been riding every day is more than a little bit nice. Budget for quite a bit of diesel, the autoroutes down are brilliant (tolls) but once you're in the mountains you have to drive a long way to not go very far.
Tignes is also very good and lift passes have been free the last few years. If you can tie it in with any of the comps (swiss downhill, french downhill, italian downhill, europeans or worlds) then that normaly adds a bit of a giggle to the trip, very friendly guys.
I strongly reccomend it. You will probably ride further on your first run than you have ridden in the last 2 years in the UK. That much time on the board really helps you fine tune your setup and ride more relaxed.

Tom's 180's
Dirty

Post by Tom's 180's » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:18 am

sir seymour wrote:i've done 3 summer tours to the alps, varying from a week to a month in length (wish i was a student again!). Do it.
If you want to properly enjoy your riding, ride a brake board and the better your brakes the easier life will be. See them more as a decelerator.
Loads of different types of track to be had from the ski lifts (Courchevel, Morzine, Tignes plus a load of smaller resorts). We've ridden nasty scree slopes, endless firetrack, piste, road, singletrack and downhill mountainbike runs. Longest run on mixed terrain was a leg-buggering 36km.
Golden rule is, ride with a baguette and a yoghurt in your bag and protect your lunch at all costs, it makes you a better rider.
If you want an easy trip speak to the guys at pleisure holidays in courcheval. Plan it around summer lift opening times and make use of the free bus up the mountain. I think Mark Sewell is staying out there this summer so there would be a handy local guide there too. My favourite run in the world is in courcheval, grand carrey. You could just ride that for a week solid and not get bored!
If you want a longer trip for the same money, live like a hobo. I've slept more than one night at altitude in the passenger seat of a ford mondeo in a car park. If you can take a van then you can camp near enough anywhere, campervans are very well looked after. Roughing it adds to the experience too. Stumbling across a mountain lake when you've not had a shower in a week and have been riding every day is more than a little bit nice. Budget for quite a bit of diesel, the autoroutes down are brilliant (tolls) but once you're in the mountains you have to drive a long way to not go very far.
Tignes is also very good and lift passes have been free the last few years. If you can tie it in with any of the comps (swiss downhill, french downhill, italian downhill, europeans or worlds) then that normaly adds a bit of a giggle to the trip, very friendly guys.
I strongly reccomend it. You will probably ride further on your first run than you have ridden in the last 2 years in the UK. That much time on the board really helps you fine tune your setup and ride more relaxed.

This is what i was looking for - cheers man! Looks and sounds amazing fun. When you say brake board, would an adapted mbs be fine? Courchevel the number 1 place then?

Ps. Currently on a winter season in Les 2 Alpes. You haven't happened to ride here have you? I know that there's an enormous biking scene.

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:21 pm

you can certainly have a good trip on an mbs, but make sure you go for a hydraulic brake setup. If you want to get techy on the bike runs and hit some of the rockier stuff a nosno pro downhill with 9's or 10's if the way to go, it just makes life easier. I'd still be happy bombing firetrack on an mbs for a few weeks, just be prepared to almost solidify your trucks if you want to tank it.
The thing that sets courcheval apart is pleisure holidays. Because of them people have been exploring trails and keeping friendly with the resort for a long time. Staff members in the last 10 years include Dan Watson, Beiran, Simon Neck, Mark Sewell, Chris Williamson, Jack Poulter, Chris McCarthy, so a healthy portion of the british freeride scene. Nick Boxall tested the alpine brake systems there and noSno have had a few jollies and police warnings. If you want easy holiday with some very friendly people it's a no-brainer.
I know pete and the nosno boys have ridden 2 alpes in the past but mountainboarding had been banned last we heard (and i believe discussed with the mayor). This is the problem of people who don't know what they're doing turning up and trying to ride pistes brakeless and padless. There's quite a few resorts who will just tell you to sod off. You can consistently hit 40mph so appropriate padding is a good idea, wouldn't want to snap your collar bone and knacker your shoulder 2 years running eh roger?

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”