Gear-dependent?

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

tatumvay
Noob

Gear-dependent?

Post by tatumvay » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:13 am

This thought popped into my head, and I was hoping to get the opinions of this forum. I just wondered if anyone else out there had the same sentiments of the gear-heavy discipline that is mountainboarding.

I am new to mountainboarding and having a ton of fun! I've introduced mountainboarding to some people I'm close with. Being more inclined to boardsports (snowboarding, longboard and street skateboarding, surfing) I think I picked up the basics pretty quickly, but as I watch the ones around me, who are not as practiced on a board, I had this thought that mountainboard is a bit more dependent on having the right gear than the other ones.

In skateboarding, surfing and snowboarding, you can start out with the most basic, cheapest board you can find and progress by developing skill, until it is time to upgrade to specialized boards, better tech, etc.

But on mountainboards, I’m experiencing that the right kind of shocks, the right kind of trucks, the right kind of bindings, whether you have a heel strap, etc., becomes very important, even at the earliest stages of skill development. Progression is stunted, or in my case, where the yellow MBS egg shocks were too soft and I had to wait for stiffer Trampa dampas, halted, without the proper gear upgrades.

I’m not expressing this as a detriment to the sport, but just as an observation based on my limited experience. I remember when I started skating, snowboarding and surfing, I picked up the cheapest slab of wood I could find and progressed skill until it meshed up with board to that skill level. Where other board sports have a bit more specialization in board tech, shape, weight, etc., most mountainboards, with the exception of a few that offer different flexes, are pretty similar, so then it seems that basic-parts upgrades are more important to fit a riding style. (I’m saying this in the context of being reasonably affordable, so I’m only considering the mass-production boards; please note by “mass-production” I do not mean machine-made. Of course, if you had unlimited amounts of money, I’m sure you could customized a deck specific to you.)

Either way, the journey to skillful riding is still fulfilling and profound on my end, and I love every time I pull a “first” of anything!

Kiwy
Dirty

Post by Kiwy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:39 am

I honestly don't feel that way at all. I transitioned from skateboarding to mountain 4 years ago on a used board that cost me as much as a good skate. It was delaminated, the F3 bindings were chaffed out of existence, the all terrain tyres turned into slicks and the top plastic top hanger stretched out by the springs.
That thing lasted 3 years. I rode every terrain on it, I got to learn a a lot of tricks, and the only thing I had to replace on it was the hangers because they scared me. Maintenance meant fixing a punctured tire and reinforcing a broken binding (that actually broke because a lot of boards were stacked on it).

In the long run Mountainboarding Is one of the cheapest sports out there in my opinion. But we do have better customization and upgrade options that skateboarding. And we need them, because some boards last forever.

Oh and my old deck is still great. I'm going to gift it to a a friend of mine that wants to get into the sport.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:51 am

i think i get what your saying tatumvay. more comfortable/functional bindings where the top of my list what i first bought a 'decent' board. and i can imagine a heavy rider (unlike myself) needing stiffer eggs/dampas right from the beginning. but like kiwy i also started my first 3 years with a very cheap (in fact it was free as i took it from my friend) Kheo flyer. and it weight, if memory serves me well, 200kg! and the bindings were terrible. so infact it was exactly like my first experiece with skateboard (exactly like you said) riding the cheapest complete on the market and then moving up.

in both cases the joy of progressing to a proper set up was as much of a boost to my abilities as it was for my ego. and im 100% sure that training with a heavier set up to begin with allowed me to progress to a light better board in a better way
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:14 am

I love my yellow eggshocks. And I do agree with the OP, the right gear will make or break a first impression. Having said that though a really good rider could shred the gnar on a log with tonka tires bolted to it.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”