fixing your wheel Vibrations

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

OldDirtyBastard

fixing your wheel Vibrations

Post by OldDirtyBastard » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:38 pm

[color="Sienna"]Hey guys ODB here I wanted to talk to you guys and get a topic started about wheel balancing I work on cars all day but I think everyone knows if your car wheels are out of balance an oz or two your car will ride like shit it will vibrate going down the road and even shake your steering wheel. The wheels on our boards are small and if they are off even a few grams off you will feel your board vibrate at speed. If you spin your tires the valve stems will always end up on the bottom cause its the heavy part of your wheel . I have a idea using sticky lead weights to counterbalance the heavy part of your wheel equally on the opposite side of the rim it should make ah huge differance in how smooth your board rolls down the hill. I'm thinking of offering this service to our forum members for a small fee but I was hoping a few people on here would voulenteer to send me a set of your rims tubes and tires and let me work on balancing them for free let me send them back to you and post on here tell people what you think and if your experiencing a smoother ride and higher speeds PM me if your intersted id like three or four people to try it out for free and let us know how you feel about it. [/color]
[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"][color="Sienna"]Save a deck, ride a dirtboarder.[/color][/SIZE][/font]

mario64

Post by mario64 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:41 am

That sounds interesting. I can see how it would help the stability of the ride, maybe even decrease speed wobble. if i were to send you my wheels, then how long would you reckon you'd have then for?

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:38 am

Could the weights go between the inner tube and rim so they dont get ripped off when you throw down some crazy shit ODB?

OldDirtyBastard

Post by OldDirtyBastard » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:31 am

[color="Sienna"]im looking at a mini bubble balancer. id like to put them on the inside of the rim itself if i can just cause of centrifugal force would keep it solid but i guess we have tubes and that would push the weight down too that would hold it pretty good i bet. you know your tires alone will have a heavy spot in them as well mark that and make sure its 180 degrees out opposing the valve stem. take your tubes out and play with the tire on the rim where it ends up on the bottom after you mount it a few times in different spots on the rim and a few spins. They sell the strips of sticky weights at local auto parts stores or i bet any tire place would bum you some if you asked them lol maybe if you like me and like to do it yourself[/color]
[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"][color="Sienna"]Save a deck, ride a dirtboarder.[/color][/SIZE][/font]

OldDirtyBastard

Post by OldDirtyBastard » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:42 am

mario64 wrote:That sounds interesting. I can see how it would help the stability of the ride, maybe even decrease speed wobble. if i were to send you my wheels, then how long would you reckon you'd have then for?

[color="Sienna"]Im not charging anything for the first couple sets i do id like to get some feedback from people if they think this helps for a smoother ride. I still need to find the mini bubble balancer i need to get em perfect before you send em but if you want to volunteer i just ask you pay to ship them back and fourth [/color]

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:33 am

ODB have you spoken to a wheel balancer about this?
i had a quick chat with a mechanic friend of mine who also does balancing and hes impression was that due to the size of the wheel it was less significant especially at our 'top speeds'
must admit im still very curious, regardless kudos on the original thought!
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:56 am

Great idea...
A powerkiter friend of mine often complains against wheels vibrations during big jumps (when few/all wheels vibrate "in phase") as it makes his feet sliding out of the straps.

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:57 am

I have definitely felt those vibrations before. Mostly riding down asphalt. It would be nice for sure, though while riding dirt, you would not feel the difference I think.

OldDirtyBastard

Post by OldDirtyBastard » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:40 pm

[color="Sienna"]i could understand why you might think that because of size but think about what makes your phone and *ahem* other things vibrate is a small motorized off balanced weight that spins round and round. Wow so if all 4 wheels are wighted together they can make a board jump off your feet whilst kiteboarding Flexboardz that would suck i wish i had dough for a kite. its looking more like I'm gonna have to build a custom bubble balencer or have one built didn't really realize mountainboard wheel balancers aren't in high demand my luck lol. hoping Tuesday ill have some time to call some of the automotive balancer companys and see if they can help with our application.[/color]

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:51 am

I have seen a couple of small balancers for 1/4 scale RC cars or for go-kart wheels on ebay, Would that sort of thing work?

OldDirtyBastard

Post by OldDirtyBastard » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:12 pm

[color="Sienna"]
Gaz wrote:I have seen a couple of small balancers for 1/4 scale RC cars or for go-kart wheels on ebay, Would that sort of thing work?
[/color]

[color="Sienna"]Yeah that looks like it would work for our Wheels hopefully it would accommodate 9.5 - 12mm axle. Thanks for that idea![/color]

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:46 am

Nae bother bud, might look into getting one as well if your idea works.

OldDirtyBastard

Post by OldDirtyBastard » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:15 pm

[color="Sienna"]Yeah if you guys get some sticky weights and put la few grams of weight opposing your valve stems play with the amount until you can free spin the wheel and it stops randomly with the valve stem not always ending up bottom center should help Sorry guys just thinking of if this works maybe having a smoother ride might make for more speed Ahh a man can dream[/color]

jackinator
Noob

Post by jackinator » Wed May 27, 2015 10:54 pm

I don't have a deck but I know there is all kinds of wobble spinning trispoke wheels on the trucks, pulling the trucks from center. Maybe it disappears magically once trucks are mounted to a deck, I doubt it. May I suggest lead tape to the inside tread covered in duct tape to keep the lead off the inner tubes we may be handling? Maybe a solid bearing plug with a center set cone to help balance.
Method something akin to, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WqzWZv2-8M

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”