Gila Board - 4 wheel independent suspension

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

mario64

Post by mario64 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:24 pm

That board looks pretty cool. Its quite clever how it steers using a board that pivots on a chassis. i suppose a board like this is best suited to downhill, but i'm not sure how well it would hold up to tougher riding, and it might be fairly heavy. Still looks like a good step in the development of suspension on mountainboards.
I wonder as the board steers from pivoting the board on the chassis, when you lean to steer it probably pivots the chassis as well because of the independent suspension. if there was a anti roll bar then the chassis shouldn't pivot when you steer, and all the force form pivoting the deck could be transferred into steering.
Am i making any sense?

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:16 am

Agree 100% with Mario64...

mario64

Post by mario64 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:13 am

Thanks Flexboardz, This board would make a perfect platform for a motorised mountain board. because of how the wheels are mounted there room for driveshafts to get the the wheel and plenty of room between chassis and deck from batteries and electrical things.
It would be interesting if the deck part of the board (the bit that you pivot) was just enough for the two bindings, it would make it lighter and give front and rear steering complete independence. Also this steering system looks like it could be completely customisable, so you could change how much steering you get from the front or rear.
I really want to have a go one one!

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:26 am

It is true that clients for an Eboard will be more ok to pay the high price related to the board complexity.

Basically, something like this : http://www.bajaboard.com.au/

Btw, Bajaboard had to use an electronic control of the suspension to prevent the effect you were talking above...

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:32 pm

At 22.5 lb and 39.5" axle-to-axle wheel base, it is a bit too heavy and long for me. I would love to try one with a shorter wheel base.

Seems like he could go with a much lighter composite deck since he has an aluminum chassis. Shave a few pounds eliminating the maple ply deck -- of course the maple deck is probably much cheaper.

Looks like he is using egg shocks to adjust lean sensitivity. The COG is a bit high too.

I contacted the inventor at Kickstarter on Sunday. He says the MSRP is $1250. A bit pricey for me. If I was wealthy I would buy one just because of its design and engineering alone. He's got a very nice design. If he can get the weight and price down he just might be competitive. But he needs a lot of marketing to break into the MB business.

I'm afraid he will have trouble getting $125,000 funding he is asking for.

Very cool just the same.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”