broke brake

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

belac
Old timer

broke brake

Post by belac » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:20 am

hihi, just seeing if anyone has any advice for fixing this, or can point me in the direction of new bits. no magura reps in my country any more and all bike shops i've taken it to just looked at me like i was a bit simple. cheers for any help :)

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:23 am

Is that because you've been telling them you've snapped your banjo, or are looking for a new nipple clamp? I can't quite make out which affliction you've got from the photo!
See if you can find a Goodridge hose kit. I've found one for peanuts ($20) on http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/GOBHHNNHK/title/goodridge-hydraulic-brake-hose-kit but suprise suprise it's out of stock.
Fairly sure nipples were fairly standard back then, there might be another hose kit available with the relevant bits, i've just always found the goodridge stuff pretty solid.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:32 am

I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:35 am

Brilliant, cheers for that, i'll drink a coffee on the weekend and go thru all those sites and figure out the parts i need. I,ve just got a tax rebate and can finally aford to get aload of board projects off the shelf again.

Kind of related; I,ve inherited (skip) a pretty decent kids mountain bike with disks that look about 7". Thinking of having a shot at some frankendiskys for a second break board, if anyones done this type of thing before i'd love to see photos.

Scott
Baby

Messed Brake

Post by Scott » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:47 am

It looks like the same thing that happened to my brake last month. If that's the case you'll have to replace that whole aluminum bit at the center of your photo. You need to look at it really close with magnified reading glasses or something. If you can see a rip or tear in the aluminum where it's sheared apart or anything, it's just done. Recycle it and get some freshly milled bits for it. You can't really un-crush an aluminum bit that's been crushed without really weakening it and creating new stress points.

Anyway, I hope you didn't get hurt or anything when your brake line fucked up. I guess you must be oaky if you can limp in to thwart unclever bike mechanics.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:02 pm

hihi, nah don't really want to just bodge the cable back together, will replace for new. as well as less punishing mountain runs i do road runs that would kill me if the break fails, so got to know its in best possible condition.

when this happened i was riding our local ski field that had been opened for mountainbikes for one day only and was trying to show mountainboards in a good light. instead i mashed it half way down and had to do the walk of shame in front of a few hundy people.:o thats the third time that particular mountain has done for me and i'm starting to think i shall never concour it.

anyway, the brake board is on the pile to be fixed and i'll get around to it soon i hope and post up my mechanicings.

mt hutt ski field about 5mins before the gravel enema.

porters pass, coming down from the alpine plateu in southern nz, if the break had gone here a gravel enema would have seemed like a nice sexy massage in commparison.:p

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”