Garway Hill Meet

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

GoofyMark

Garway Hill Meet

Post by GoofyMark » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Mutley and myself are planning an ealy morning assault on Garway Hill near Ross on Wye, Herefordshire, this Sunday (25th). We should be there from 7.30am(ish) til lunchtime.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.919523,-2.818809&spn=0.015114,0.024848&t=h&z=15

Terrain varies from 600m long gentle grass path to a selection of steep tracks, and rather handily who ever looks after it has cut loads of wide swathes through the bracken, opening up loads of new stuff.

We dunno if any ones near enough to join us (Costa rica might be a bit far), but its an open invitation, it would be good to put some faces to names!

Outlaw_Dragon72
Slightly dirty

Post by Outlaw_Dragon72 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:46 am

Hey Mark , would be Ideal but I'm off on a Trek on that Sunday ..... would be cool if some of us could meet up sometime though ... faces to names & all that ... kinda get a little sick of going out on my own ... would be great to meet other boarders...
O.D.72

[font="Georgia"]"The closer you are to death. The more you realize you are alive......" [/font]:cool:

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:37 am

Any chance you can get some photos of the tracks for me to put on the googlemaps Mountainboard Ride Guide?
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

etchy6

Post by etchy6 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:32 pm

leapb4ulook wrote:Any chance you can get some photos of the tracks for me to put on the googlemaps Mountainboard Ride Guide?

I may go if I wake up in time :)

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Image Garway Common. Each run starts at the top of the picture about 2 1/2, 3 inches in from the right of the picture. There is an 8 sided building with a hollow center. This proves a good point to dump bags/drinks etc from this point there are 4 main runs the first run is the run from the right which is for beginners but has a little water splash to keep you on your toes. The second run goes down the front of the picture slightly to the right. Its faster slightly undulating and a good wake up for the next run. It runs past a small pond which you can just see in the picture. The next run goes to the left and is far more technical with steep stubly drops,faster tracks, small soggy rivlets, lumps bumps and fern tracks and fields. it splits into 3 possible top paths, one requiring a string of powerslides and heavy carving to get down , with multiple middle sections calming down but with some sharper corners going across a slope to finish. the 4th run drops of the back some where and is still in my crazy ass definition so I cannot report on that. All in all if you like freeride then it has something for all :)

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:22 pm

I want it. Let me know next time.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Well we are on this sunday but i'll defo post when we next go (would be everyweek if it was up to me!) I'll try to catch some pics when I'm there.

Hobo Boarder
Noob

Post by Hobo Boarder » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi Mutley, this place sounds awesome, sadly can't make Sunday. Am hitting Randwick Woods with some others on Saturday if your about or anyone else wants to join? If not then go riding most weekends around the area - cleeve, nibley, bugs etc etc... Just put up a thread "Gloucestershire Boarders", trying to get bigger group of local boarders together for some regular boarding sessions.

Cheers

Simon

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:52 pm

tommorow wooohooo if anyones up for it who hasnt said ,just post ill take my phone and check the forum enroute. :)

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Anybody from Costa Rica want to have a session? :(
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:30 pm

yup, but i have no way of getting there :/

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:30 pm

guys, if i had unlimited petrol and a car that flys id pick you all up!

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:15 am

McCarver wrote:Anybody from Costa Rica want to have a session? :(

You have a better chance of a group session in CR than I do in West KY. :p

The Lone Ranger rides again.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:54 pm

Wow what an amazing session today. Cracking weather plus an extra hour because the clocks went back!

What a change since the last visit to the hill the ferns had started to die back and had been mowed in places opening up new lines all over the place. We started off with the warmup runs getting in some much needed carving and a few pics.

I really need to invest in a dedicated cam as I’m too scared to use my Phone . Then we had a quick race which was a bit hairy as I have my favourite line and racing causes you to need to think about another variable and new line to cope with the reduced path size. I managed to win which was cool as Mark normally kicks my arse. Then we moved over to the heavier freeride sections.

We haired of down the fastest top section using the dying fern lined corridors to speed check while admiring the new paths which were opening up in the fern. Coming down the fastest run gave us more than enough speed to smash through the middle bumpy section with more than enough speed before turning back on ourselves for the final part of the run. The final part is always mad because your legs are starting to ache and it switches to heel side being downhill. You really have to adjust your feet and lock in as a few twists and bumps try to throw you out . Over a small stream to finish! Due to Marks 9” wheels he managed to carry a bit more speed and ran over the finish and round the corner using a natural berm to turn onto the gravel track with a slide to finish. We decided to follow the road round to see if we could lengthen the run and an amazing thing happened. We found we could continue the run for an extra 10 mins over fields and tracks and more natural berms. Mark was getting really excited with his 9” wheels by this point, I was just trying to avoid deadly mole hills!
All in all an amazing day and I can’t wait to go back and link the runs better into one crazy ass leg destroyer. I was left really buzzing from today’s session and that’s not because of the Magic mushrooms we were accidentally powersliding through!

More pics >

http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum/album.php?albumid=31

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:05 pm

Freeeeeeriiiiiide!!

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Nice picture dude!

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:23 pm

BgSurfer wrote:You have a better chance of a group session in CR than I do in West KY. :p

The Lone Ranger rides again.

Actually you are right, I have been fortunate to have some pretty cool visiting riders from the states including two members of team hillbilly/team heavy(jumbo and bulldozer), Dirtstar Army member Paul Johns, Dirthead Founder Kevin Delaney, ORB Co. Founder Rob Eakle, MBS Pro Rider Jereme Leafe. Not to shabby considering that i am the biggest amateur in the world. Would love to have a few of SD members down for a session one day.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:02 am

We are off to 'Gnarway' Hill again, this Sunday (8th Nov) -

etchy6

Post by etchy6 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:08 am

GoofyMark wrote:We are off to 'Gnarway' Hill again, this Sunday (8th Nov) -

r u going at a normal time this time?

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:13 am

How about a night-time session Saturday (7th) night? I love riding in the dark :D . Then I could camp and ride with you Sunday morning....

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”