Garway Hill Meet

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:17 am

...and what time do you finish on Sunday morning? I might head over to Randwick Sunday afternoon.

Come on Etchy, you know you're a freerider at heart
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:29 am

And I could spend Friday exploring the Forest of Dean and Saturday exploring Highmeadow near Monmouth.

That would be a good three-dayer!

etchy6

Post by etchy6 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:57 am

leapb4ulook wrote:...and what time do you finish on Sunday morning? I might head over to Randwick Sunday afternoon.

Come on Etchy, you know you're a freerider at heart

alright if i'm free... just need to get my trucks and red eggs back into my comp... as there is no way I will be freeriding my pro 95... :p

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:16 pm

etchy6 wrote:r u going at a normal time this time?

yeah we're going at 'our' normal time!!! - you should try it, a funny thing happens at about 6.30 am - it gets light!

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:51 am

Don't need light, anyway. So is that our rv time? What time do you guys usually finish?

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:12 am

we are planning to get there for about 6.30am, probly ride for about 3-4 hours

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:31 pm

leapb4ulook wrote:Don't need light, anyway. So is that our rv time? What time do you guys usually finish?

Dude does that mean your comming? hope so, will be able to bug you for tips! :D

Etchy you up for it?
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:45 pm

Yep, plan is to hit Highmeadow on Saturday, come to Garway Hill and camp there Saturday night (wake me up when you get there), ride with you guys, then head to Randwick for Sunday afternoon.

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:27 pm

camping in november, thats dedication, do you want a bacon roll for brekkie?

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:03 am

camping in november, thats nothing, I'll bring the ketchup ;)

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Sauce should be in every extreme survival kit ! we should swap numbers or something. I'd say use the forum but gprs/3g fails near the hill. Have you got a mail I'll send you mine.
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:11 pm

hey fella, we've swapped No.s,

I am soooo ready for this, 12 hour day at work yesterday, full on day today, I need my Sunday stess busting session:D

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Anyone else up for it?

GoofyMark

Garway in the Mist

Post by GoofyMark » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:17 pm

When Mutley and me arrived at Garway it was 6.30am and still dark. We padded up and headed out onto the common for the walk to the top. As we got higher it began to get light, revealing a mist shrouded hill side.

When we got to the top and the shelter of the brick bothy we cracked open the coffee and tucked into bacon rolls, Conversation soon turned to the person joining us - Roger (LeapB4Ulook). Due to the quantity and quality of his posts here, and articles on other sites such as Remolition, and the fact we have only been riding properly for 9 months, we were slightly concerned that our choice of venue may be a bit boring for him.

As it got lighter the mist began to rise, and we managed to get a couple of warm up runs in before Roger arrived. After brief introductions we hit the south-western side of the hill. Garway is pretty much all grass tracks flanked by bracken, which at this time of year has died back leaving rough ground which is great for speed checking on.

So a funny thing happened, instead of starting off on something easy we hit a run which on previous attempts both Mutley and I had bailed on at multiple points - and we rode it out all in one go!

We then went to check out a field system whch looked promising on Google Earth, but unfortunately closed gates and very wet conditions meant linking it all up is a mission for another day. So we trudged our way back up the hill and carried on exploring the south-west side. You can see from the picture that it is a network of tracks, you could spend a lot of time riding here and hit different lines every time.

We finished up with the run marked below, funnily enough this is something that we had chickened out of on all previous visits.

The thing I really got from today is how much i got from riding with someone more experienced. I dont mean Roger was telling us how to ride all day, far from it, but just knowing he was far more experienced meant that both Mutley and me pushed ourselves hard, probably harder than we have done since we first started riding.

I am physically drained, know i'm going to ache like f**k tommorow, but i don't care cos when i shut my eyes tonite to go to sleep, i will be back on Garway speeding down its grassy tracks.

Thanks guys for a wicked session:D

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Fantastic write up and I just wanna say thanks to both you guy's for making it an epic session today. I was really glad that Roger was as stoked about Garway as we were and I cant wait till the next freeride mission! I'm still grinning like an idiot !

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks Guys, was a great mornings ride. I had loads of fun and will definitely be back. Let me know when your going up to Cannock Chase. Thanks again.

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:35 pm

Sounds like you had a good one.

Bring on the freeride :D
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:49 am

leapb4ulook wrote:...Let me know when your going up to Cannock Chase

Cannock Chase is about an hours drive from me (Derby). Give us a shout if you're having a meet there and if I can, I'll join you.

Cheers

etchy6

Post by etchy6 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:00 pm

wooop wooop my freeride board is all ordered and on it's way... ride with you soon!
Dom Etchells

Dizzy Discos Cheltenham
http://www.dizzydiscoscheltenham.co.uk
on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dizzy-Discos-Cheltenham/284193654942363

Book your disco now, be it a 5th birthday party, an 18th, a 21st or just a special occasion.
07879 402 102
01242 604 067

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:05 pm

ade_mcc wrote:Cannock Chase is about an hours drive from me (Derby). Give us a shout if you're having a meet there and if I can, I'll join you.

Cheers

ohh cannock chase huh? which bit do u ride there? the downhill track? Ive only ridden the cross country trails as i didnt trust myself to take a downhill track on just a hardtail, im derbyshire too? where do you live/ride?

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”