The "Every Mountainboard that ever existed" thread

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

pd2h

Post by pd2h » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:26 am

The classic comp 16 pro!!

Jockass Dave

Post by Jockass Dave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:55 pm

The epically unsuccessful Driboard from Scotland, invented by a retired engineer. I was given this to test many years ago and is one of three prototypes. I think Haredown bought one of the others. There was a second generation prototype made with three discs which was even worse and broke after about two and a half feet underneath Jamie McFarlane....

It was designed to turn by lifting onto two discs as you leant over, but the inventor failed to realise that the more you lean the less grip there was, until this b*****d of a thing physically picked you up and threw your face at the ground. Seriously, WHEN you came off (usual runs lasted three or four feet, the world record is two linked turns and a run of 15feet) there was no warning at all and it spat you into the solid ground (wouldn't even move on anything softer than that).

Old enough to know better, been there done that...

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:01 pm

how did it roll? u have to keep it on an edge?
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Tony Retro
Slightly dirty

Post by Tony Retro » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:03 pm

This board is like heroin. Even though I know it would be extremely bad for me, I still want to try it!!!

Jockass Dave

Post by Jockass Dave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Jasper wrote:how did it roll? u have to keep it on an edge?

The discs kinda scuffed along, which is why it needed a really smooth hard surface, and hence why there couldn't be a grippy edge...

It is totally rigid too, thats a full length metal casting on bottom of a piece of furniture board- weighs about the same as a Nosno Pro DH!

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:26 pm

oh god, i feared it might be that but thought i was being dumb. If they span it might be kewl if there was a way to hold it on the edges like a snowboard. Probably need the discs flatter to your feet though and you probably couldnt straightline very well.
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Jockass Dave

Post by Jockass Dave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:38 pm

yea, they do spin, but at about a 15 degree angle from flat so the disks are spinning on their edges, that means you cant have any edge grip as it would slow the board too much.
The end disks are at a slight angle from straight to create the turning circle. After a few attempts I worked out that to turn you needed to lean forward and left or right and back to turn- that led to the two-turn record run before it spat me at the ground.

Its a real shame it was so bad- Bill (the inventor) had put together a line of boardbags and t-shirts which looked really smart. He'd spent about £30k on patents, tooling for the cast base, graphic design, etc. by the time he actually got someone to try the thing....

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:25 pm

sick i was looking for that board
what about the german company that made a full snowboard with tank tracks on the bottom?? anyone

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:27 pm

PURE63 wrote:sick i was looking for that board
what about the german company that made a full snowboard with tank tracks on the bottom?? anyone

have you not seen JimmyC's sick tank tread board?
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:41 pm

McCarver wrote:have you not seen JimmyC's sick tank tread board?

No I haven't. link *cough* *cough* link *cough* McCarver smells *cough* of poo.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:54 pm

The picof it is before I gripped the rollers

Maybe someday I'll gather up some pics to post on here:)

.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

Sam_
Noob

Post by Sam_ » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:28 am

Scrub Vapour was my first board haha
[SIZE="4"]Hello.[/SIZE]

Flexboardz
Dirty

Post by Flexboardz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:29 pm

I thinkt that it's meant to be used with a kite where you ride +- always on the edge

Still the most "out of the box" board I know...

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:30 am

GrassBoard

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:32 am

these may not apply

Kite scooter

Xboard

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:34 am

DirtSurfer

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 am

I did see the chaos tank board but the one im talking about was manufactured by a company from germany it was a snowboard with full length tank tracks one down each side

we are still missing tons of boards here
i remember mountain skate one of a few board that had the trucks mounted on top
there was a few rack and pinion style board s but cannot remember the name for the life of me

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:46 am

Found this on the net. Shame there are no pics to go with it.

BHi BioFlex : Great starter board. ply deck with fibre, 9" tyres on two part hubs, wide trucks, feet hugging bindings and loads of style. Comes with nifty punk style graphic on underside of board. As with the more expensive Carbon Pro, a cracking deck; let down slightly by heavy trucks.

BHi Carbon Pro : One of the best decks currently available. It's a wood/carbon fibre composite deck, with flex and pop you'd sell your granny for. The graphics are top notch as well. Comes with huge nobbly tyres which will let you tank over pretty much anything you come across. The trucks however aren't as good; they're steel channel trucks, and the springs aren't stiff enough. Also, the hubs don't fit other trucks which can be a problem if you're upgrading.

Earthboard Rage : This board is no longer in production, last made in 2004 An incredibly light deck with a lot of pop and flex to it, it comes with big chunky tyres with loads of grip on them. It does sit on skate trucks however, which some people aren't too keen on. Earthboards also have problems with part compatability and some people have complained about build quality.

Earthboard Prolite : This board is no longer in production, last made in 2004 Again, it's a superlight deck with a lot of pop and flex to it, smaller tyres than the rage though, it's more of a freestyle deck. Skate trucks again; and the same compatability issue...

Exit Airforce : Exit's entry to intermediate board. The all wood deck is on the stiff side, and the steel trucks do add weight. However, it does have fully adjustable channel trucks and comes with a leash (a handy extra for beginners). Not a performance board, but not one that'll break either.

Exit Camo : This is Exit's entry level board. It's an all wood deck with basic steel channel trucks. Very similar in price, ride and performance to the Mongoose Procamb and Kheo Bazik. The one possible advantage it has is that it's available in Halfords (maybe that's not an advantage...)

Hyline L11 : This board is no longer in production, last made in 2003 Made by the same folks behind Mongoose, the Hyline L11 is their intermediate to pro level freestyle board. The composite deck is short and stiff with decent pop to it, and it comes sitting on skate trucks with diamond tread tyres. The board also comes with heel straps as standard (a nice bonus). A good freestyle board, but skate trucks are hard work for freeriding, and may not be for everyone.

Kheo Air-S : The Air-S has been steadily evolving over the last few years, and the 2003 model is the best yet. The deck's composite, with lots of pop in it, the nose and tail are steep enough to add extra stability that wouldn't normally be there with a skate trucked board. The hubs are tough and lightweight, and the tyres do the job very nicely as well. It's a good all round board, which is slightly more suitable for freestyle. Possibly the most popular board amongst kiteboarders at the moment.

Kheo Bazik : This is Kheo's entry level board. It's an all wood deck with basic steel channel trucks. Very similar in price, ride and performance to the Mongoose Procamb and Exit Camo.

Kheo Flyer : Kheo's freeride board is probably one of the more destinctive designs available. Between the bright orange hubs and the carry handles cut into the deck it's pretty hard to miss. The board is heavier than some of it's competitors, but it comes with primo hubs and grippy 9" tyres, and the composite deck makes for a nice stable ride.

MBS core16 : The updated version of the sol is possibly the best package available in the sub £250 price bracket for mountainboards. The deck is a wood/fibreglass composite with a smooth flex and lots of pop. The new matrix trucks are easily adjustable, stable at speed and very smooth carving. The T1 tyres are fast and grippy. An excellent package at a reasonable price.

MBS sol16 : This board is no longer in production, last made in 2002 (also look for the jeep commando, which is essentially the same board) a nice light deck, with a good amount of flex to it, and the mbs aluminium trucks are some of the best channel trucks available. However, it can be prone to snapping if pushed hard, and it comes with airliner tyres as standard (which don't give much grip)

Mongoose Litecamb : The mongoose brand have always been known for good quality entry to intermediate level boards for years and this is another good board for 2003. The Deck is pure maple and stiff enough to take the abuse beginners throw at it. The trucks are skateboard style to reduce weight (again, not for some people). This board would be fine for any beginner starting out with downhill or kiting and a unbeatable price kicking off with. It is probably more suited to lighter adult riders due to the skate truck design; and the deck is too stiff for my taste.

Mongoose Procamb : Pretty much the same deck as the litecamb; the procamb comes with adjustable channel trucks. All in all a good starter board that won't break the bank.

Scrub Easy Rider : This board is no longer in production, last made in 2002 As a starter board, it's hard to knock the scrub board. It's a wood/fibreglass composite with steel channel trucks, standard sized hubs and 8" diamond tread tyres. Not as light as the earthboard, not as stable as the mbs boards and not as flexy as the biohazard, it will take anything you can throw at it. The big advantage with the board is price...you can pick up an easy rider for £160, compared to the £220-£250 you'd pay for some of the other boards I've listed. It's a great deal for the price.

Scrub Furnace Creek : The updated version of the Easy Rider sees scrub take quite a step forward. The deck is longer, which makes for a stable ride, the steel channel trucks have been replaced with aluminium, and the 8" tyres have also been upgraded. A very nice package.

Scrub Scudda39 : This board is no longer in production, last made in 2002 Another starter board from Scrub, this time a wood only deck with skate trucks, standard sized hubs and 8" airline tread tyres. Lighter than the easy rider; it's possibly more suited to kites than downhilling.

Scrub Silver Reef : This is Scrub's update on the Scudda, and it's a big improvement. Stronger trucks, and bigger wheels are definite steps forward, but the move from an all wood to a composite deck is the best new feature. A good deal at a low price, though it's skate trucks on a long deck make it more of a kite friendly board.

Scrub Trampa : Scrub's prolevel board has been produced in conjunction with Trampa. The trucks and wheels are standard Scrub parts, but the deck is custom made out of a new ballistic plastic composite. The deck has an incredible amount of pop, and can be custom made to suit the rider. Not a board I'd personally recommend for a beginner, but it's an outstanding deck that's proving very popular with younger riders.
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 am

Fat face board!

Looks like an Atom with a different deck?
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

silver shredder
Noob

different boards

Post by silver shredder » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:11 am

this is one I made for Ted at trampa
Attachments
CUSTOMER #1 007.jpg

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”