Getting Started in Mountainboarding

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

KurlyQ
Noob

Getting Started in Mountainboarding

Post by KurlyQ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Hello all, I'm completely new to this sport, but it looks awesome from what I've seen so far. I live right next to the foothills of Northern Colorado and I first got the inspiration to get into Mountainboarding during a longboarding session that my friends and I had. We were cruising down a new hill we had found at a decent speed, having a grand old time, and around the next bend, the nicely paved road went directly to dirt, and we all ate it hard. I though it would be wonderful if we could just keep riding down that wonderful hill. Also, there is many great hilly portions of trails around my house, and I would really like to get out there and ride them.

I don't have any experience snowboarding, but I have been longboarding for quite some time.

I've got quite a few questions, but I'll just start out with a few:

First, I'm thinking about just getting a used board from Craigslist or something just to get a feel for the sport. What kind of boards do you guys suggest for a newbie that is interested in riding trails and hills?

Also, how easy do you think it will be to get up and carving for someone like me?

Last, any other random advice that you would like to throw in for a newbie?

Thanks a ton!

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:31 pm

KurlyQ wrote:Hello all, I'm completely new to this sport, but it looks awesome from what I've seen so far. I live right next to the foothills of Northern Colorado and I first got the inspiration to get into Mountainboarding during a longboarding session that my friends and I had. We were cruising down a new hill we had found at a decent speed, having a grand old time, and around the next bend, the nicely paved road went directly to dirt, and we all ate it hard. I though it would be wonderful if we could just keep riding down that wonderful hill. Also, there is many great hilly portions of trails around my house, and I would really like to get out there and ride them.

I don't have any experience snowboarding, but I have been longboarding for quite some time.

Hey Kurly welcome to surfingdirt and the fabulous world of mountianboarding :D Dont worry if you havent snowboarded before because your longboarding experience is going to be a great base to build on. Not that its necessary to have experience with a board to start mountainboarding but the carving skills you have aquired and the fact that you have taken some spills on asphalt are going to help.

KurlyQ wrote:I've got quite a few questions, but I'll just start out with a few:

First, I'm thinking about just getting a used board from Craigslist or something just to get a feel for the sport. What kind of boards do you guys suggest for a newbie that is interested in riding trails and hills?

Ground Industries and MBS both have great boards, personally I prefer the "channel" trucks that MBS use but you will find people who argue for both types. If you are in Colorado you should contact Altitude Sickness board shop, I'll try to get some contact info. They are in your area and sponsor mountainboard events and such so they may be good people to know.

KurlyQ wrote:Also, how easy do you think it will be to get up and carving for someone like me?

You should pick it up right away, although mountainboarding is a physically challenging sport it may be the easiest board sport to pick up, especially given your longboarding background. Mountainboards are way more responsive that a longboard and you will find that fist sized stones will often get knocked out of the way rather than causing you to eat it.

KurlyQ wrote:Last, any other random advice that you would like to throw in for a newbie?

Thanks a ton!

Dont cheat yourself, buy a good board. Sure the low end boards are more affordable but you are more likely to not like it if you buy a poorly made and unresponsive board. Buy a good board, get the right protective gear, and get ready to have the most fun you have probably ever had in your life.

KurlyQ wrote:
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

DirtDemon777
Dirty

Post by DirtDemon777 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:19 pm

nice to see im not the new kid on the block any more:D and for the random advice #1 speed wobbles suck #2 get some good pads/helmat

KurlyQ
Noob

Post by KurlyQ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:31 pm

I think I found a good deal on a board. Here's the list of the stuff I'm thinking about getting for about 150 (used)

1 MBS Core 16 Deck

2 MBS Matrix Trucks w/ egg shocks

4 MBS T1 Tires

4 MBS Black Rockstar Hubs

2 MBS F3 Bindings

2 Wrist Guards

2 Knee Pads

2 Forearm/Elbow Pads

4 MBS Street Tires (no tubes)

4 MBS Trispoke (indestructable) Hubs

1 MBS Spare Tire Tube

1 Stand up Tire Pump

----------------------------------------

I think that should get me off to a good start!
what do you guys think?

I'll definitely bring along my trusty and indestructible camcorder along to my first few sessions on the local grassy hill so you guys can watch me eat it. (and maybe give me some tips)

thanks for all the help and thoughtful advice so far!
man...I'm really stoked!

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:54 pm

KurlyQ wrote:I think I found a good deal on a board. Here's the list of the stuff I'm thinking about getting for about 150 (used)

1 MBS Core 16 Deck

4 MBS T1 Tires

2 MBS F3 Bindings

2 Wrist Guards

2 Knee Pads

2 Forearm/Elbow Pads

1 MBS Spare Tire Tube

1 Stand up Tire Pump

what do you guys think?

I'll definitely bring along my trusty and indestructible camcorder along to my first few sessions on the local grassy hill so you guys can watch me eat it. (and maybe give me some tips)

man...I'm really stoked!

Looks like a good deal, deffinately agree with McC don't get a cheap board, I ended up buying three boards before i got some thing decent to learn on, which incidently was a core 16, brilliant deck for begginer, infact i've still got mine with 9" tires on for chunky freeride.

The only thing not on that list - Helmet - you'll forget your wearing it once you start ridin, but you'll be glad you wore it if you fall over backwards and smack your head on a rock. Also not essential but think about arse protection, you can do yourself some serious damage sliding into rocks at 20+ mph. Mountain boarding is a relatively safe sport if you minimise the risks!

That setup looks pretty perfect, get riding it will change your life:D

KurlyQ
Noob

Post by KurlyQ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:59 pm

well yeah, I wear a helmet doing most anything that involves speed. I'm usually the one in the group telling the others to save their brain. :P

etchy6

Post by etchy6 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

KurlyQ wrote:I think I found a good deal on a board. Here's the list of the stuff I'm thinking about getting for about 150 (used)

1 MBS Core 16 Deck

4 MBS T1 Tires

2 MBS F3 Bindings

2 Wrist Guards

2 Knee Pads

2 Forearm/Elbow Pads

1 MBS Spare Tire Tube

1 Stand up Tire Pump

what do you guys think?

man...I'm really stoked!

If that as in england i'd snap it up straight away...
Dom Etchells

Dizzy Discos Cheltenham
http://www.dizzydiscoscheltenham.co.uk
on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dizzy-Discos-Cheltenham/284193654942363

Book your disco now, be it a 5th birthday party, an 18th, a 21st or just a special occasion.
07879 402 102
01242 604 067

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:31 am

etchy6 wrote:If that as in england i'd snap it up straight away...

You'd be bidding with me on it then.

With your funds you would probably win though...

ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:57 am

KurlyQ, thats not a bad deal listed above.
However, unless I've missed it, no body has asked your height and weight before giving advice.
My word of advice is that if you are particularly tall for example, a longer comp deck may be more appropriate than a core deck or the core deck depending on age could have completely lost its 'pop' or even be a bit saggy.
In addition, if you are particularly light, matrix style trucks may not be appropriate, but from your picture, I don't think this will be an issue.
So, go for it, but let us know your height/weight and maybe even what you want to do with a board - downhill? Freestyle? bit of everything?
Edit: just to clarify, I'm 6'3'' and ~14 stone and the core deck feels very small to me.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:18 am

ade_mcc wrote:KurlyQ, thats not a bad deal listed above.
However, unless I've missed it, no body has asked your height and weight before giving advice.
My word of advice is that if you are particularly tall for example, a longer comp deck may be more appropriate than a core deck or the core deck depending on age could have completely lost its 'pop' or even be a bit saggy.
In addition, if you are particularly light, matrix style trucks may not be appropriate, but from your picture, I don't think this will be an issue.
So, go for it, but let us know your height/weight and maybe even what you want to do with a board - downhill? Freestyle? bit of everything?
Edit: just to clarify, I'm 6'3'' and ~14 stone and the core deck feels very small to me.

He said it was a core16, that is the longest board that MBS makes and is great for all sizes. WHat type of deck to you ride ademcc?
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:11 am

I believe (i.e. please correct me if I wrong!!!!!:D ) that the MBS Pro 16 - Leon Robbins is 3 cm longer, and the MBS Comp 26X is 10 cm longer.

Its the Leon Robins that I ride, upgraded from a comp 16 when it started to seriously de-lam. Its actually slightly longer than my noSno with 12x770 with 10" tyres on.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:12 am

MBS no longer makes Comp26, although they are a good board they arent for everybody. The big tires are great for tackling burly terrain but arent so good for carving or riding street. You can always put smaller tires on one but then it kinda sags in the middle. I started on a comp26 but began to progress much faster with the Comp16. I was under the impression that the Comp16, the Core16, and the Leon Robbins are all basically the same length give or take a couple of c*** hairs.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:26 am

As far as I know the only difference between a core16 and a comp16 is the materials from which the deck is made. The only problem with the core is that they will go soft after awhile, I have yet to see one break.

The Leon is a great board, and may be a couple cms shorter, but I doubt that makes a difference.

This is the core that comes to mind for me, maybe there are some differences between this one and the blue one that came out afterwards.

Raoul has a comp16 deck, maybe we can measure it against my Leon Pro(bomber version)

DirtDave
Experienced

Post by DirtDave » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:59 am

KQ that is a great deal, once you learn how to ride you will be able to tell if it is too much board for you and can always take a step back. Is it really a step back if it improves your riding or you are more comfortable? Great deal and when you look for something different you can always get most of your money back if not more at that price.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:02 am

Agreed, you can re-sell it at nearly the same price. Cant wait to see you ripping it up.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:12 am

brilliant to see another person has joined our ranks of both riders and the forum, sounds like a brilliant buy to me, even if you do change the deck the rest sounds excellent and for 150 (us dollars i assume?) its worth it even if you turn out hating the deck, though im sure u wont, snap it up mate

KurlyQ
Noob

Post by KurlyQ » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:52 pm

well I'm 6' 5", and about 180 pounds which is about 196 cm and 82 kg for all those normal people that use the metric system. I think that board will probably work for me.
The auction needs to finish already. all I have is mountain boarding on my mind all day. it's getting ridiculous.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:38 am

At 180 I would expect the core deck to bottom out a bit, especially if its used. Definately look into upgrading to a leon robbins or one of the old blue comp16 decks, but that set up should hold you over just fine for the time being.

KurlyQ
Noob

Post by KurlyQ » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:05 am

Alright, things look good as far as getting a board go. The auction ends tomorrow, and I think I have a really good shot at it.
BTW, I was telling my friends about my new obsession, and I think I got quite a few interested. this stuff is contagious!

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:20 pm

KurlyQ wrote:Alright, things look good as far as getting a board go. The auction ends tomorrow, and I think I have a really good shot at it.
BTW, I was telling my friends about my new obsession, and I think I got quite a few interested. this stuff is contagious!

definatley contageouse my mate got a board, dragged me out with him and i was hooked :)

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”