New Product question?

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

McCarver
Gringo

New Product question?

Post by McCarver » Tue May 12, 2009 10:07 am

Since you are the R&D guy at MBS I couldnt think of a better guy to ask this question.

Im loving the new look that the boards are sporting this year but my old Leon Bomber is riding smooth as ever. So with that in mind why is '09 the year to finally throw down some cash and upgrade to something newer?

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:30 am

well my question would be this... what are you upgrading too?!?
a look?
a fashion statement?

i would suggest upgrading to the new bindings they are a bit lighter and more comfortable that the old ones but at least upgrade to the new binding posts the plastic is much more comfortable to ride that the aluminum ones

other than that everything is the same as it has been in the years past but with new colors

so if your board is rocking keep riding it
maybe this is the year to diversify your equiptment and riding techniques
maybe this year buy a smaller board so you can be a little more techy in the park
or maybe you need to buy a bigger board so you can land that huge jump
invest in a second board for back up or maybe some back up parts
there is alot of good reasons to have 2 boards

but as far as the equiptment goes its about the same just more flashy and colorfull

upgrading is all about how you view it
if my deck was strong but my trucks are heavy and upgrade may be the ultra light truck

do what makes you feel good if you want a new look go get it
but how you look wont make you a better rider so look at what you need

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Tue May 12, 2009 10:44 am

PURE63 wrote:well my question would be this... what are you upgrading too?!?
a look?
a fashion statement?

i would suggest upgrading to the new bindings they are a bit lighter and more comfortable that the old ones but at least upgrade to the new binding posts the plastic is much more comfortable to ride that the aluminum ones

other than that everything is the same as it has been in the years past but with new colors

so if your board is rocking keep riding it
maybe this is the year to diversify your equiptment and riding techniques
maybe this year buy a smaller board so you can be a little more techy in the park
or maybe you need to buy a bigger board so you can land that huge jump
invest in a second board for back up or maybe some back up parts
there is alot of good reasons to have 2 boards

but as far as the equiptment goes its about the same just more flashy and colorfull

upgrading is all about how you view it
if my deck was strong but my trucks are heavy and upgrade may be the ultra light truck

do what makes you feel good if you want a new look go get it
but how you look wont make you a better rider so look at what you need

Excellent advice, to be honest I have been hesitant about buying a new board because they keep getting shorter every year and I am not so confident that I will enjoy riding with such a small stance. What is your opinion on this trend?

I have been wanting to upgrade my hubs for some time. The only hubs that have treated me right are the tri-spokes, everything else gets all mushy on me or has blown out completely and I dont go near as big as any of you guys.

The chrome hubs have had my attention for some time but what hubs do you recommend for all around riding but can withstand some big drops?

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Tue May 12, 2009 11:21 am

And one last question in regard to the MBS Vectors:

For someone who is not comfortable at all on the skate-style trucks, are the vectors a suitable lightweight alternative for channel truck riders? Or is it more akin to the skate trucks?

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:31 am

personally since the leaf i have been stuck on that size deck
i have a leon and i keep it around for those times the leaf cant take what im dishing out
the leon and leaf have a simular stance and on the leaf you can push the binding brackets out and still get a pretty wide stance
however i as a rider would like about another inch to inch and a half on the stance
for the most part its super comfortable and i like it

keep in mind im 5ft 10

i really dont want to see the decks get any smaller in length and i think the companies could stretch the stance width a bit

however if pushing the brackets on your bindings out to the limits doesnt do it for you you can take the risk and drill new holes

the tri spoke hubs are to date the burliest hubs i have ever ridden they will hold up to anything

however due to weight i have moved over the the rockstar pro and they rock
super light weight and they can take the abuse
the main concer here is the plastic center piece just dont over tighten the hubs and they will last you a long time

also these hubs wont break but rather bend and in most cases are still quite rideable even when slightly bent and in extreme cases can be bent back to almost true

the MBS Rockstar pro aluminum hubs would be my suggestion for any rider on any type of terrain and any riding style

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:36 am

McCarver wrote:And one last question in regard to the MBS Vectors:

For someone who is not comfortable at all on the skate-style trucks, are the vectors a suitable lightweight alternative for channel truck riders? Or is it more akin to the skate trucks?

the vectors are a nice truck for riders who love to carve it up or ride a pool
but the the vectors are more akin to the skate truck and prone to most of the same problems as a skate truck

the main difference between a skate truck and the vector is the vector has an added pivot point that a typical skate truck does not have

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 am

Interesting info thanks Pure63...

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Thu May 14, 2009 11:50 pm

Let's talk about deck tip angles, top truck height, and springs...

I like the length of my Leafe, but I wish it sat a lilttle lower. When I look at the board, I can't help but think that it could be made a bit differently. Just 10 more degrees on the tips would help, and so would a different top truck construction.

Do you guys ever think about offering different top trucks ? Ones that would take shorter springs and thus would be less tall ? Some people don't even adjust their trucks they just want the springs compressed.

I understand the argument against lower boards is "it'll bottom out more". I personnaly don't care that much. My old BHI used to bottom out a LOT because it was so flexy, it didn't really matter.

And once again, I'll drop the word: "concave". :D

PURE63

change

Post by PURE63 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:43 am

I agree the leaf is a bit flat on the deck this tio angle was changed to help your feet clear the tires when riding

there is some variations in top truck design i would like to see but we most likely wont see anything more than whats out there untll independant comapines arise and make more products for our sport

are the boards perfect.. heck no
but you need the money to puch a large line of product and that something this sport doesnt have

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Fri May 15, 2009 9:15 am

Raoul Duke wrote:Interesting info thanks Pure63...

Agreed. Thanks for comfirming my suspicions that I should already be rocking the chrome Rockstar Pros. Definately considering buying the new bindings as well, but Im guessing Raoul will need them before me since I swapped out bindings with his board before I sold it to him.

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Fri May 15, 2009 9:22 am

PURE63 wrote:I agree the leaf is a bit flat on the deck this tio angle was changed to help your feet clear the tires when riding

So that means that if we got 17 or 18 inch trucks, we could have steeper angles ? hmmm...

PURE63 wrote:there is some variations in top truck design i would like to see but we most likely wont see anything more than whats out there untll independant comapines arise and make more products for our sport

are the boards perfect.. heck no
but you need the money to puch a large line of product and that something this sport doesnt have

Yeah, I know making a mold and prototypes isn't exactly cheap.

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:06 pm

yes and yes

i for one have been fighting for wider trucks for a few years now

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Wed May 20, 2009 4:45 am

You lot should try a Trampa , by far the best deck in my opinion , unbreakable which cant be said for mbs.

Feel heavy, but once its under foot , the amount of pop it has makes it feel light as a feather.

Also custom made to each individual rider . :cool:

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Wed May 20, 2009 7:25 am

I had a trampa in 2004, and I rode it for 2 months because it felt dead underm y feet. Maybe I should try another one ?

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Mikael
check your heart rate man you may be the one whos dead

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Wed May 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Can't ever imagine a trampa feeling dead , which type did you have ? 35 long?

I am about 13 stone and have a 15 ply , has plenty of pop
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Thu May 21, 2009 4:14 am

I had 15 ply, long 35.
Stones are an invention of evil british people, no one knows about them. Use a man's units, the metric system. I'm about 67Kgs.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Thu May 21, 2009 3:49 pm

Mikael wrote:Use a man's unit.

excusez-moi

BryceAZ

Post by BryceAZ » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:48 am

Phsssh, metric system. I'm 160lbs. I have no idea what that is in kg or stone. I know my stones are pretty heavy though. =)

Joking aside this was a very educational thread. Thanks for the info guys!

Return to “Newbie Q&A”