Big and Tall(and some other questions)...

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

maxxdout
Noob

Big and Tall(and some other questions)...

Post by maxxdout » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:53 am

So here's the deal...

I'm about 6'4", 250lbs, and I'm looking for a board. I'm on a budget, too.

Do you think the MBS Atom 95x would work for me? http://www.dirtboarding.org/mbs-atom-95x/

Also, I have my MBS Reactor for sale, which is pretty beefy with the frame and all. I think I actually might end up keeping it because of how awesome and sturdy it is. One thing, though: is there any way to rig up a break kit to it? It has the 3-screw hubs(not sure what hubs the mbs break discs mount up to), and there are no screw holes in the trucks to mount up the breaks. Do you think I would be able to drill 2 the holes for the breaks and get the MBS break kit working? (I think all I need is to drill one hole on each side of the truck). With my height to weight ratio, I gain some nice momentum going down these hills around here and I'm still learning how to power-slide so I figured it would be cool to get some breaks on this beast...

Here's a pic of the wheel, if it helps...

Oh yea, one more thing, how do I change my avatar? The usual upload box isn't showing :P

Thanks for the tips,

maxx

evilc

Post by evilc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:51 am

Personally it sounds like a lot of hassle for a brake kit that is really crap.
Regarding mounting the brake discs to the wheels, IIRC you use extra long bolts for the hubs and mount the disc onto that.

Isn't the atom more of a kids board?
I think it would be unsuitable for someone of your size and weight.
(Work in Progress) Board buying guide

My Rides

Main:
TK Pro deck | F3 bindings | FX heelstraps | Rockstar Pro hubs | T1 tyres | Trampa Vertigo trucks w/ Titanium kingpins | Less Spring mod | Yellow Trampa Dampas | Stainless steel fixings upgrade

Spare / Loaner:
Trampa 16 ply 35 deg long deck | Talon II bindings | FX heelstraps | Manhick cast metal triskpoke wheels | Scrub Alu trucks | Green Trampa Dampas | ABS brake kit

maxxdout
Noob

Post by maxxdout » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:28 pm

I thought the atom's were a little small, too. I'm not 100% sure yet if I'm actually gonna get one or not, just thought I'd throw some ideas out there and see what you guys thought of them.

And yea, I agree with you about the breaks, I don't see them working too well (with just one pad on each wheel). I think I might just get some new springs for the Reactor and ride that for a bit, unless I sell it before then.
[align=center][color="DarkOrange"][font="Arial Black"]PAYNEFUL DESIGNZ[/font][/color][/align]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:02 pm

I'd just go looking for a used Comp on ebay, generally cheaper than a new Atom and 9,999,999,999,999,999,999 times better (not an exaggeration)

maxxdout
Noob

Post by maxxdout » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Hmm, I didn't even think about eBay, silly me :P I'll see what I can find...
[align=center][color="DarkOrange"][font="Arial Black"]PAYNEFUL DESIGNZ[/font][/color][/align]

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:46 am

Yeah - the Atom boards are for kids. If you are after a stronger board then I'd go for a 17ply Trampa deck. If you are on a budget - keep an eye out for an old MBS Comp 26. They are built for larger riders but are equipped with standard MBS gear so you can easily upgrade parts if you want to.

I would say that the V5 brake isn't worth the hassle - I had one and it wasn't very good.

evilc

Post by evilc » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:48 am

One pad on each wheel is not the problem, the problem is cable operation when what you want is hydraulic.
I would say ABS brakes, but nick is no longer trading - I think trampa have an equivalent.

Whatever, if you are talking decent brakes you are basically talking Magura HS-11s or similar.
My advice is to forget about brakes. In general, brakes in boarding are not for beginners, they are for advanced riders wanting to take on runs that would be hard without brakes.

You need to learn how to control speed and stop etc without brakes first, else if you ride with brakes and they fail you are screwed. Riding beginner's slopes with brakes will not really help you progress properly.

So yeah, maybe a Trampa 17 ply and some trampa trucks that have the mount point for brakes so you can upgrade in the future.

My Rides

Main:
TK Pro deck | F3 bindings | FX heelstraps | Rockstar Pro hubs | T1 tyres | Trampa Vertigo trucks w/ Titanium kingpins | Less Spring mod | Yellow Trampa Dampas | Stainless steel fixings upgrade

Spare / Loaner:
Trampa 16 ply 35 deg long deck | Talon II bindings | FX heelstraps | Manhick cast metal triskpoke wheels | Scrub Alu trucks | Green Trampa Dampas | ABS brake kit

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:05 am

you now have the option to change your avatar Maxx
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

maxxdout
Noob

Post by maxxdout » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks McCarver.

And yea, for everyone else here, if you haven't noticed my for sale post, I have decided to keep the Reactor and get some new springs for it.

EvilC: You're right, I don't have any insane hills around here so I don't really think I need breaks anyway ;)

DM613

Post by DM613 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:02 pm

hi,I am dmjy,510 has a special meaning so I add to my username,you also can all me dm.I am new here,nice to meet you all .we will be frineds.can we?

int3gral
Baby

Post by int3gral » Thu May 19, 2011 11:50 am

Hello People, nice to meet you!

I just had a quick question regarding board size, so I don't think that new topic is necessary.

I am 6'3" about 190 Lbs
While having no experience in ATB (I only rollerblade) I am currently looking at MBS Core 95 model.
Will it be long (and wide!) enough for me to have comfortable stance (foot size US11), or I need even longer one (Comp 95)?

I plan more freeriding on easy terrain with no high air at all, even in future (I have heavy neck injury and don't want to take it too high). I think that 180 and similar essential tricks on reasonable speeds (slow!) are doable on any board.

Any comments will be highly appreciated!
Thanks!

evilc

Post by evilc » Thu May 19, 2011 12:43 pm

You should be OK with the decks (As in just the board) from any of the MBS adult range. Obviously stiffer and longer are preferable, but they tend to be the more expensive models. For what you are saying though, probably any of them would be fine as grounding out on easy terrain is generally not a problem.
The thing that concerns me about the core 95 for your weight is the trucks. You probably want something beefy and I am not sure ATS trucks are it. I would recommend channel trucks of some kind with green or blue trampa dampas (upgrade this yourself if needs be).
Are you looking at new or 2nd hand?
You could maybe pick up a bargain 2nd hand - something like an old MBS Comp 95x (Designed for heavier riders) would probably do you proud, with or without the brake it normally comes with.

My Rides

Main:

Spare / Loaner:

OldDirtyBastard

Post by OldDirtyBastard » Sun May 22, 2011 10:37 pm

[color="Sienna"]hey Bro im 6ft 3 inches 250 lbs and a GI AK Pro is awesome for you the board is a reverse cap carbon helio core construction So its made from carbon fiber, foam and wood
an Atom is way to thin for you[/color]
[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"][color="Sienna"]Save a deck, ride a dirtboarder.[/color][/SIZE][/font]

int3gral
Baby

Post by int3gral » Mon May 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Thank a lot for advice, I will consider it and post back when I end up with something

Regards,

Return to “Newbie Q&A”