Flipping trucks

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Core 8
Noob

Post by Core 8 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:54 am

can you flip on 20-25 degrees and will it be as easy to spin a scate trucks?

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Travis wrote:The slightly shorter wheelbase does help reduce flex though.

umm no
unless you redesign the deck there is no way flipping the trucks will stiffen the deck or reduce flex
it does put your deck up an inch and prevent bottoming out
the base plate isnt big enough to translate any Stiffining propoties to the deck
the trucks themselfs add nothing to flex or stiffness to the deck.. just height

ill just say this
the only PRO to ride with flipped trucks is Mason Moore (1 guy)
nuff said

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:13 pm

And those on GI boards...

On second thought, it makes sense that the deck isn't stiffer... if the base plates don't move, it's all the same for the deck.

I do like the clean surface for grinding... maybe I'd do it more if I flipped my trucks :)

Core 8
Noob

Post by Core 8 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:33 pm

can you flip on 20-25 degrees and will it be as easy to spin as a scate trucks? also is it really that great considering only one pro uses it

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Ive just flipped mine and i do actually feel more pop, not sure why but i do lol
Its a real improvement considering the deck i use is stupidly heavy...
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

TheGreenMachine
Noob

Post by TheGreenMachine » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:34 pm

PURE63 wrote:umm no
unless you redesign the deck there is no way flipping the trucks will stiffen the deck or reduce flex

Actually when you move the wheelbase in the board WILL become stiffer. If you look at the trucks when you flip em the axles come in, reducing wheelbase

Try getting a flexy piece of wood, putting it up on cinderblocks and jump in the middle. Now move the blocks in and jump in the same spot, it will be stiffer

jondextan
Slightly dirty

Post by jondextan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:57 pm

i agree with TheGreenMachine, the trucks are sorta like extensions of the deck, so the further away it's ends will touch the ground (wheelbase) the more flex it'll have. and it will feel stiffer the more you shorten your wheelbase.

so um, anybody flipped Trampa trucks yet?

Travis
Old timer

Post by Travis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:20 am

TheGreenMachine wrote:Actually when you move the wheelbase in the board WILL become stiffer. If you look at the trucks when you flip em the axles come in, reducing wheelbase

Try getting a flexy piece of wood, putting it up on cinderblocks and jump in the middle. Now move the blocks in and jump in the same spot, it will be stiffer

Yeah I've not actually flipped my trucks but was goin on physics... it reduces the deck from being able to sag as much between the pressure points, where the wheels touch the ground.
Gonna try it on my leon at some point anyway, just to see what a shorter wheelbase is like if nothing else.
noTramp brake-boarder and proud!

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:49 am

TheGreenMachine wrote:Actually when you move the wheelbase in the board WILL become stiffer. If you look at the trucks when you flip em the axles come in, reducing wheelbase

I think Dave's point is that you don't "move the blocks" when you flip trucks... the top trucks are still in the same position so all forces go from and to the deck go through the same place.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:42 am

Mikael wrote:I think Dave's point is that you don't "move the blocks" when you flip trucks... the top trucks are still in the same position so all forces go from and to the deck go through the same place.

The weight will be wherever the point of contact is, the wheels. By flipping the trucks the axles get closer together therefore the wheels do too. The whole weight of the rider, the board, bindings, trucks, hubs, air, even the tyre itself is placed onto each point of contact. But it doesn't affect flex, I'll try and explain why, here I go.

Imagine you tip the triangle so it balances on one point, all the weight goes onto that point but, the top length will still bend as much as it would if two points touched the ground. Just as it would on the square. The board flexes on it's points of contact, the top of the trucks. For example if you place the board vertically, like an awesome manual. The board can still bend as much as it would lying flat, even though it's wheel base would be exactly in the middle of the board. Hope that helps
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:13 am

Brennig wrote:The weight will be wherever the point of contact is, the wheels.

From the deck's perspective, the point of contact is more like a surface: the top truck. And that doesn't change at all.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:41 am

Mikael wrote:From the deck's perspective, the point of contact is more like a surface: the top truck. And that doesn't change at all.

The point of contact for the flex is, that's why it doesn't change flex. But all the weight is on the wheels, or on the bindings if it's upside down or on the clowns shoes if he's holding. This is why manuals are possible.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:47 am

Brennig wrote:The point of contact for the flex is, that's why it doesn't change flex. But all the weight is on the wheels, or on the bindings if it's upside down or on the clowns shoes if he's holding. This is why manuals are possible.

Green machine you got some learning to do

and in a odd way i think Brenning got the Jist of what i was getting and and put an overly sophisticated way of explanining it but yes

you do not change board flex but the wheels move....

whatever this whole deal is screwy and again to me there is no real advantage or disadvantage to Mormonizing your trucks

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:13 pm

PURE63 wrote:Mormonizing your trucks

That's funnier than Dirtstararmying your trucks. I like it.

shaker

Post by shaker » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:09 am

For any given deck, the flex increases as distance between the points of deck support increases. That is, the truck base plates are the points of deck support. As the base plates are moved farther apart, deck flex increases. Move the base plates closer together and deck flex decreases. For flipped trucks, base-plate position remains the same, no change in flex.

However, flipping the trucks moves the wheels closer together. This places rider weight more directly over the wheels. With wheels closer together, the turning radius become smaller. Flipping Matrix trucks increases deck height over the axles, a higher center of gravity. Flipping GI Spring Bionics reduces deck height over the axles, a lower center of gravity.

___
What we have got here is failure to communicate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o
Shakin' the bush Boss ...

angrysurfer
Dirty

Post by angrysurfer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:40 am

Seems to me that flipping the trucks would move the point that the reaction force acts through the trucks a few cm inwards from one end of the baseplate to the other, even though the baseplate isnt moving. 5cm ish on each truck would probably be noticable.

PURE63

Post by PURE63 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:44 am

Thank you Shaker...
... not sure why i couldnt put it so simply

saul
Dirty

Post by saul » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:02 am

I try to ride with flipped trucks on my pro 95 for abut 2 mounth, but I don't like it.

Return to “Newbie Q&A”