tightening wheels?

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

sawdustsam
Noob

tightening wheels?

Post by sawdustsam » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:05 pm

hi. how much play should my wheels have? i find sometimes they are loose and they wiggle on the truck and if i try and tighten them they are too tight and they dont spin very freely..

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:37 pm

sawdustsam wrote:hi. how much play should my wheels have? i find sometimes they are loose and they wiggle on the truck and if i try and tighten them they are too tight and they dont spin very freely..

Tighten until they beging to impede wheelspin, and then back them off a quarter of a turn.

Some wobble might be coming from elsewhere. If there is any difference between the bearing ID and the axle diameter there will be some wiggle. The titanium axles on the GI Spring Bionics seems to running a much closer tolerance compared to the stainless steel ones on the Torsion Bionics. The bearings fit very snugly on the former. So much so that they did away with the axle spacers.

What trucks and what bearings is this happening with?

ATB,
Sam

sawdustsam
Noob

Post by sawdustsam » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:46 pm

i have a GI ak 103. so just the basic stuff that came with. the skate trucks and vegas rims with the bearings that came with...is there one should i consider upgrading before the other?

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:05 pm

sawdustsam wrote:i have a GI ak 103. so just the basic stuff that came with. the skate trucks and vegas rims with the bearings that came with...is there one should i consider upgrading before the other?

Really, really depends on what you want to do with the board, how happy you are with it in other respects, how much you weigh, etc.

I am not really big on the Vegas hubs. As they are a weaker design than GI's other two designs (Terraintula and CrossAirs). The skate trucks aren't my favorite either.

You can always upgrade to a higher end board like an MBS Comp or Pro series (which should be readily available in AU). However, if the AK 103 is fairly new or your budget is tight, I wouldn't want to try to convince you to throw buckets of money to sort things out.

You could always just upgrade the wheels and/or trucks and you might see the problems evaporate.

The AK 103 is a 9 ply maple deck and at a length of 40.5 inches (103 cm)/width of 9.75 inches (25 cm), it's pretty large. Larger than some people like, but that really is a matter of preference.

I have one with Bionic trucks on it that have been run with Vegas Hubs and GI's Multi-Hubs (which can take 8" or 9" tires) and didn't notice a whole lot of wheel wobble with either setup.

ATB,
Sam

jondextan
Slightly dirty

Post by jondextan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:15 pm

just get bearing spacers tighten them as much as you can. make sure you got metal bearing spacers though, as my experience with plastic spacers with the Rockstar Pros (Mk1 i believe), if you tighten them the whole way down they tend to restrict bearing turn. the trampa metal spacers are perfect. no play and you'll be confident your nuts are tight on the axle.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:13 pm

you'll be confident your nuts are tight

thats what she said:p

sawdustsam
Noob

Post by sawdustsam » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:14 am

ok sick. thanks guys. i weigh around 85kg. and i like jumping. ive mastered the 180 and tomorrow is begging for the 360. but i like to ride down hill also. i love cutting a deep turn and pretending im on a wave lol. what board would you say is the ultimate for both in 1? price is not a problem as i will just save. if i want something i tend to not worry about the price if im sure i will get a far better product. cause in the broader scheme of things a couple of hundred bucks is not much money at all if what you gain from it will keep on giving!!

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:59 am

sawdustsam wrote: i like jumping. ive mastered the 180 and tomorrow is begging for the 360. but i like to ride down hill also. i love cutting a deep turn and pretending im on a wave lol. from it will keep on giving!!

im a bit smaller than you but other than that your description is exactly what i like. ill probably get slaughter for this but i got the MBS COMP 95. its light and strong and ive loved it. but its fairly flexible and maybe a bit too flexy for your weight. do you happen to ride your trucks very loose? i find most people ride then very tight but for me the carving and flexibility of loose trucks is a big plus, although it is an issue when you get to higher speeds.

will be interesting to see what other recommend...

sawdustsam
Noob

Post by sawdustsam » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:21 pm

i do like riding the loose trucks. but im not sure its good for jumping?

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:07 pm

i like it for jumping too. means if you dont land perfectly flat it takes up some of the slack...also feels like it absorbs more of the shock on harder landing. but cant totally understand understand that you might prefer the stable feeling on landing. for me its all about full control and being able to make very small adjustments by leaning instead of bumping the front or back in the direction needed. probably a lot to do with how i used to skateboard.

Return to “Newbie Q&A”