NoSno Softs and Size 12/13 Hiking Boots

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Nick
Noob

NoSno Softs and Size 12/13 Hiking Boots

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:05 am

I'm looking to buy some hiking boots for riding my NoSno but I'm a bit worried they wont fit.

I feel my riding potential is limited in trainers as I'm worried I'll come off the deck and leave my shoes on there if I turn too hard.

Do any of you NoSno riders with large feet wear hiking boots?

I don't want to spend the cash if they wont fit in the bindings.

ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 am

Which bindings are you using, Nick? I used to wear my largish size 10.5 Mendal walking boots with the larger size Rage bindings without any problems. The bindings are a bit on the large size if only wearing trainers, which makes me suspect you are using noSno softs?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:32 am

Size 11 full sized hiking boots and had no problems.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Nick
Noob

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:33 am

I've got the softs.

Nick
Noob

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:40 am

Cheers Brennig,

There's still plenty of space left on the ladder with size 11's then?

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:10 am

Same here - size 11's and the NS Softs worked fine for me.

The next step is full bindings ;)

Nick
Noob

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 am

Was looking at some but there's a couple of things I need to sort first.

1) bushings (maybe)

2) ABS mounts

I have a freeride/freestyle, are the stock bushings too soft for downhill riding?

I have a serious fear of the wobblies since I was hit by a car, went over the bonnet and roof, then face planted the road whilst downhilling a skateboard as a teenager. I didn't know how to set the deck up and so had the trucks far too loose and lost control.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:35 am

wow harsh.

i down hill with my nosno with soft bushings (rage bindings and hiking boots) on fairly rough terrain but on straights it does get fast and i have got into some wobbly situations, thankfully maintained under control so far.

i weight 60kg ish. i assume the bushing stiffness vs wobble pottential is relative to weight. so if you intened to ride roads (faster than what i normally go i assume) and weight any more than me then id say 100% get stiffer bushings. having said all that i could actually tighten my trucks a lot more (#gets up and get an Allen key )
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 am

No idea what bushings I have - I presume the 'normal' ones, but I've not had a wobble yet. I do have my ABS though which helps..presumably you haven't got yours attached yet if you are after mounts?

If only we had some innovative engineering friends who could make them - from Israel or Wales maybe?

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:19 am

I'm still waiting for mine to come back from the garage ... Been at least a month, you know what mechanics are like though.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 am

if someone could find that link that Brennig found a while back with the pre machined 'nut' ...o yeah T-nut they called it. and posted a bunch over. i still have the exhaust clamps and my welding has come a long long way. would gladly make a bunch.

Nick
Noob

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:53 am

I'm about 79kg and my main downhill spot is pretty rough until the bottom third that turns into tarmac and a serious gradient (this is where I melted my trispokes), I also have a void/stream on either side of the track and what I can only describe as curb edgings going through the road/track (I assume they were put there to stop erosion) all the way down the track until the tarmac. It's a pretty fast run up until the long tarmac straights at which point it gets silly and I'm pulling on the break as hard as I can.

I'm still using the Comp 95 for downhill riding because I don't have the break mounted, I've approached a couple of local welders who declined to help me out with break mounts.

I'm well up for buying some if any second hand ones come up for sale or if Ben makes another batch destined for Blighty.

I really want to try the NoSno out on this run as I'd like to jump the curb stones rather than riding over them which is far from ideal. So far I've only had it out in the hospital which is conveniently located on a hill as are most things where I live.

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:56 am

Ben wrote:if someone could find that link that Brennig found a while back with the pre machined 'nut' ...o yeah T-nut they called it. and posted a bunch over. i still have the exhaust clamps and my welding has come a long long way. would gladly make a bunch.

http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6786&highlight=brake+mount

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:46 pm

thank you 6th!

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Workholding/Clamping-Sets~

thats the link and in there you need 130-011-00200 10 M8 12.1 5.8 14.7

Return to “Newbie Q&A”