first board ideas

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

pure7865
Noob

Post by pure7865 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm going to need some heel straps, any good makes you guys could suggest would be appreciated. My feet just keep slipping out, though I've only messed around on it on the road by mine so far.
Dan

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:34 am

Twist your feet so you put pressure on the L brackets on the binding, that will lock your feet in place without heelstraps. MBS will be the easiest heelstrap to go for, they will fit straight onto your bindings.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:56 am

quick suggestion for you Dan, though we are always happy to help here there is the 'search' function above. also the 'Rider Resources'
http://www.surfingdirt.com/category/rider-resources
has lots of excellent info including a bit on bearing cleaning! among many other goodnesses

love your enthusiasm and i must admit i eventually also came to the conclusion that i needed heel straps myself, but many people never use them at all and there are lots of tricks that can only be done without heel straps. perhaps most importantly id say that during your current level of skill/progression the ability to push is bordering on critical. bottom line, no harm in buying them if you have the money but id recommend holding off for a month or two at the very least, if not a year!
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

pure7865
Noob

Post by pure7865 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:25 am

Gaz wrote:Twist your feet so you put pressure on the L brackets on the binding, that will lock your feet in place without heelstraps. MBS will be the easiest heelstrap to go for, they will fit straight onto your bindings.

Which way should I twist my feet, in or out? Those were the ones that I've looked at the most, I've found a pair for £30 which isn't too bad.
Dan

pure7865
Noob

Post by pure7865 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:29 am

Ben wrote:love your enthusiasm and i must admit i eventually also came to the conclusion that i needed heel straps myself, but many people never use them at all and there are lots of tricks that can only be done without heel straps. perhaps most importantly id say that during your current level of skill/progression the ability to push is bordering on critical. bottom line, no harm in buying them if you have the money but id recommend holding off for a month or two at the very least, if not a year!

Well I have managed to find some better shoes that seem to hold better in the bindings, so for now they might do, but I like the idea of having heel straps because when I don't want to use them, I can just push them up and onto the top of my bindings.
Dan

pure7865
Noob

Post by pure7865 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:34 am

I went for my first proper ride today at Eastham. It went pretty well, I did fall over once, because I had to turn round a sharp-ish corner and I turned too far so I had to turn back again and I ended up losing control pretty badly...xD So I've got a nice big cut on my right palm, a little one on the other hand, and then one on my thigh, knee and one on my shoulder xD So yeah I think I'll need some gloves, maybe some of those wrist guards. But yeah found a nice slope leading to a little ramp into a big drop, almost 180 at the top of it too. So yeah even though I've hurt myself, I am still as keen as I was before, if not more so. I want to get it so I don't fall off. Taking the board up to Northwich this evening and some of tomorrow, there's some relatively big hills there so that should be interesting, I'll tell you guys how it went. I still need directions for adding photos, if you want pictures of my board that is...
Dan

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:38 am

pure7865 wrote:Which way should I twist my feet, in or out?
Dan

inwards so you toes pushes against the inward L bracket and heel pushes against the outer one.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:43 am

pure7865 wrote: I still need directions for adding photos, if you want pictures of my board that is...
Dan

in the 'quick reply' box at the bottom of the page next to the 'post quick reply' button there is a 'go advanced' button, it the go advanced. then in the tools there is a paper clip for attachments next to the smilies.

or you could upload to a site like photobucket, picasa, facebook etc then embed the IMG code straight into the text area.

pure7865
Noob

Post by pure7865 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:02 am

Okay then, thanks Ben on both counts. I will attempt to take and then add some decent pictures some time soon then. Yeah, I like Asking Alexandria...
Dan
Attachments
Asking Alexandria.jpg

pure7865
Noob

Post by pure7865 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:02 am

So guys, are there any better bearings than what my board came with? It came with Abec-5's which sounds a little bit crap in all honestly. After riding skateboards for a couple of years Abec-5'3 are the worst you could get. Are there Abec-9's or 11's maybe? It's just it seems pretty slow when I'm going, especially on tarmac and concrete. Could someone maybe link me to a site selling some better bearings?
Thanks,
Dan

WSG7
Dirty

Post by WSG7 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:11 am

no just pump those tires up to 80 psi

pure7865
Noob

Post by pure7865 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:12 am

Even though the tyres say that the maximum they hold is 60 psi? Won't I just damage the tyres doing that? I need some better bearings anyway, these seem used quite a lot at the very least.
Dan

pure7865
Noob

Post by pure7865 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:22 am

Northwich was pretty good, the hills there are nice, and steep enough for me to get a nice amount of speed, jumping up and down curbs just feels so awesome. The park was good too, nice steep path down with high banks at each side, had quite a lot of fun. I'll try and take a picture and post it on soon (picture quality won't be that good as I'll be taking it with the camera on the laptop) so you guys can see my board.
Dan

pure7865
Noob

Post by pure7865 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:46 am

Here's a picture of my board, really bad quality I know, I'll get one with my phone sometime and upload that one.
Dan
Attachments
Mountain Boarding.jpg

Return to “Newbie Q&A”