Fat Head Full Face Recomendations?

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Fat Head Full Face Recomendations?

Post by markbrosnan78 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:45 am

Thinking about riding a bit harder trails and possibly even competing as well as DH longboarding and time has come to think about getting a full face.

However I have a very large head so I would be looking for something around the 62 cm range. Preferably a cheaper model (I know you get what you pay for but funds are tight).

Any recommendations?
[align=center]Trampa[/align]

[align=center]Allowing even fat blokes to ride since 2000...[/align]

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 am

I have a 661 Comp II in size XL. I dont know how big my head is - but I am 6'2 and a bit of a lard-ass and it fits fine. Plus you sometimes get XL 661 stuff cheap cos most of the MTB riders are kind of dweebie.

I think I picked up mine for about £35 and wouldn't go back now - espcially after seeing a vid where someone came off face first at around 30mps and landed on their jaw. Luckily they were wearing a full face but that was shredded - can't imagine what would have happened if they just had a lid on...but I bet it wouldn't have been pretty.

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 am

I was looking at the Comp Shifted 2013. It's about £55 in XL. Looking at the website its comparable to my Bern Watts XL so should be fine. Just a shame I can't try one on before I buy.

I take it the Comps are fine for mountain boarding?

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:58 am

Yep - they are for DH MTB - so loads of visibility and they are nice and light. Check out Chain Reaction Cycles, I think thats where I got mine cheap.

Also, 661 release a new version of their gear every year, so the last years stuff tends to go cheap.

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:07 am

I saw it on chain reaction. It's not a bad price to pay to save my head and face, just couldn't justify £200 for a top of the range one.

You might have to make some room in the masters class for the DH events this year if I can get some practice in.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:42 pm

markbrosnan78 wrote:I was looking at the Comp Shifted 2013. It's about £55 in XL

i just got that exact helmet in M and its seems great (not exactly used it extensively yet though...)
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:51 pm

The 661 Comp Shifted 2013 arrived today. Good looking helmet but the XL was very tight and too tight across the top of my forehead. Sent in back in the end as I could have lasted one run and I would be constantly taking it off.

Had this with my first helmet and I never wore it in the end. The XL is 60-62, the same as my Bern Watts but after a bit
more research on MTB forums I saw a fee people say that they felt they came up small.

I've ordered this instead.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=79999

It says it is 62-64 so it should fit me better. My Watts is a close fit and I guess my head will be hotter in a full face so might need the extra space.

Sent from my titty bar using Tapatalk

Return to “Newbie Q&A”