Beginner board help

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

metalheadman
Noob

Beginner board help

Post by metalheadman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Hey guys I am new mountain boarding and need some help. I have been snowboarding for quite a few years and recently stumbled upon mountain boarding and it sounds like a lot of fun to do in the off season when I can not snowboard. I am just wondering what kind of board would be a good for a beginner. Since I am a beginner I am more interested in carving down the hills before I start hitting some jumps so I am just looking for some beginner board advice. If you guys need my height and weight I am a smaller guy as I am only 5'' 10'' and weigh 145 lbs. All the help you guys could give me on getting a good beginner board to get me into this sport would be great. Also I wear converse high tops and just would like to know if there are any shoe preferences you guys have along with the beginner board ideas would also be great to know.

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 pm

5'10, 145lbs is not small, it's plenty. I should know, I'm the same :)

If you're a decent snowboarder and you know you're not gonna quit right away (for lack of motivation or because the first fall is going to scare you away), I would recommend getting a decent board right away as opposed to a cheap one.

You want a board with channel trucks (the ones with springs), and a solid deck (not like on one of the kids boards).

Do you have a budget? Where are you located?

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:38 am

Location would be a good idea. If you're serious and want to spend the money we are going to say a Trampa/MBS depending on where you live.

As for footwear I'm sure there is an old thread on it somewhere but a lot of people where trainers. Just mucking about and general heel strap less riding I wear skate trainers and for more serious heels strapped in stuff I wear hi top walking boots.

If you can get a more sturdy trainer that will be fine to begin with. The Cons may take a battering especially when you fall.
[align=center]Trampa[/align]

[align=center]Allowing even fat blokes to ride since 2000...[/align]

metalheadman
Noob

Post by metalheadman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:55 am

I live in the United States and it is not that big over here and yes I do have a budget I would like to spend less than $350 at the very most.

LivEviL

Post by LivEviL » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Contact this seller (http://www.ebay.com/itm/mbs-mountain-board-/221201249058?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33809f3322) the board didnt sell but it is worth $300 if he still has it he may sell for less.
He's no good to me dead.

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Metalheadman.
Hit up orderprocessing@mbs.com and let them know your situation.

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:34 pm

metalheadman, where in the states are you? Maybe someone can hook you up with a deal? I'm in NorCal.
You should check craigslist. Search for both "mountain board" (with the quotes) and mountainboard.

Return to “Newbie Q&A”