How snowboarding differs from Mountain Boarding

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

metalheadman
Noob

How snowboarding differs from Mountain Boarding

Post by metalheadman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:54 pm

I am a snowboarder and I want to get into mountain boarding but I am just wondering what the main differences between the two sports on riding stances and how you balance your weight and stuff like that.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:30 pm

They are the same but different. I recently went snowboarding after a ten year hiatus in which I only mountainboarded and I was suprised at how easy it was for me to get back in the groove. If you can ride a board you can ride a mountainboard.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Turning feels different, but being used to having your feet in bindings helps :)
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:15 am

Turning feels like longboarding, because it's like being on rails, whereas snowboards can slide. Sliding turns on skateboards and mountainboards require a lot more skill. It's not crazy hard, but it takes time.
Other than that, jumping is pretty damn close to snowboarding except you don't have to dig edges in for spins (makes it easier in my mind, but that could be that I suck at snowboarding).

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:41 am

You'll get into it pretty fast depending on your experience riding snowboards, especially carving. However, you kind of have to reprogram your brain on how to scrub speed or stop, because you can't slide as efficiently like on a snowboard. Depending on the terrain surface and if you use breaks or not that will the first test to pass to gain confidence riding mountainboards. But definitely go for it.

Sorry for the delay, but I was out for a week to snowboard at Andorra :)
- Enjoy the Ride -

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:46 am

McCarver wrote:They are the same but different. I recently went snowboarding after a ten year hiatus in which I only mountainboarded and I was suprised at how easy it was for me to get back in the groove. If you can ride a board you can ride a mountainboard.

So McCarver, tells us more. How was it after 10 years without riding a snowboard!?
- Enjoy the Ride -

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:27 pm

snowmonco wrote:So McCarver, tells us more. How was it after 10 years without riding a snowboard!?

Was fantastic. I wasnt doing anything crazy but as far as carving goes it was real easy to get back in the groove. I actually have made a personal promise to figure out a way to live near Tahoe within the next five years. If not I need to figure out a way to afford 2-3 trips a year to the mountains. May be going back to chile next year for vacation.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:45 am

McCarver wrote:Was fantastic. I wasnt doing anything crazy but as far as carving goes it was real easy to get back in the groove. I actually have made a personal promise to figure out a way to live near Tahoe within the next five years. If not I need to figure out a way to afford 2-3 trips a year to the mountains. May be going back to chile next year for vacation.

Nice that it all went smooth. Trying to live near Lake Tahoe for the next 5 years... big personal promise indeed. With a family and kids is even harder. Wish I had the same guts :)
- Enjoy the Ride -

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:38 am

snowmonco wrote:Nice that it all went smooth. Trying to live near Lake Tahoe for the next 5 years... big personal promise indeed. With a family and kids is even harder. Wish I had the same guts :)

Yeah its going to be a challenge but my kids are the main reason I would do it. I'd hate for them to not experience the joy of skiing and snowboarding. I have no reason to doubt I would be able to pull it off, it may be my only skill in life but I do have the uncanny ability to survive and sometimes even thrive anywhere I choose for the following reasons:

1) I'm too stupid to weigh risk sometimes
2) I'm too stubborn to accept failure and/or take no for an answer
3) I'm too punkrock to let something like legalities get in the way of my success

WSG7
Dirty

Post by WSG7 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 am

But haven't you just build a new mountain board track in Costa Rica?

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:05 am

WSG7 wrote:But haven't you just build a new mountain board track in Costa Rica?

nah, it's been awhile since I had a track to ride. The little I get out now it's either dirtroads through the jungle or downhill urban chaos

Return to “Newbie Q&A”