Newbie from the States

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

xxxJakkxxx
Baby

Newbie from the States

Post by xxxJakkxxx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Hey, y'all.

I'm Kenny and I am band new to board sports. This one looked like a lot of fun so I decided to jump right in and give it a go.

I just received my board and the last of my pads in the mail today so I figured I'd go give it a shot and holy crap am I not a natural. I wasn't expecting to be great right away but just keeping balance down a hill was a chore and the only way I stopped was riding out flat ground or going for a tumble. It also seemed the faster I went the less stable I was on those grassy hills but it may have been a mental thing. I did take a big tumble and I am glad i have pads because the only pain is a spot on my shin where the foot left the binding and the board swung out and back into my leg during the had over heel fall.

I am having fun and know it will be a lot more fun when it isn't work just to stand up while moving so I need a lot of practice.

Any advice on where to start with the practice is greatly appreciated. I know priority number of will just be getting my balance but is there anything else I should look at trying with my lack of skill?

Also, I tried that board slide stopping thing and I got the board to slide once out of about 15 tries. Who knew sliding on wet grass would be so challenging.

Oh yeah, i got an MBS Core 95. It was used on eBay and I kept seeing very bad things said about New boards in the price range of what I paid for this little guy.

xxxJakkxxx
Baby

Post by xxxJakkxxx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Sorry for the double post, i know some boards frown on them, just thought I'd add this.

Just started watching some how to videos on YouTube and it seems I may have to train some muscles I haven't had to use in years ( I'm only 24). I figure while not on a hill I can do some muscle training exercises like getting in positions that certain this require. One is getting really low and holding the board with both hands while having my rear low instead of high. Those leg muscles that are required for that appear to have weakened and it seems that the position is required for certain turns and slides as well as that stop i want to get down.

Anyone know of exercises or stretches for muscles that are essential to mountainboarding? Or at the very least some of the essential muscles that are rarely focused on in exercises so I can come up with a workout?

Thanks, y'all. =)

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 am

Hey dude,
In the way of starting off, if you're feeling unstable on the board, drop lower. It will help with your stability, and if you do take a fall, there's less distance to go.
In the way of powersliding, i sucked for the first month at it, because i didn't figure out you have to lean so hard, that either your front or back wheels are off the ground depending on which direction your going. Wet grass should be a pretty easy place to learn. pick up some speed, start a j-turn, apply all pressure to front or back of the board and kick hard.
I don't do any specific excercises for riding, but I run a ton, so that helps. Do some squats and wall sits at home should help.
In the way of speed wobble what color are the bushings in your trucks and how much do you weigh? maybe they're too soft for you.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 am

Most essential thing for being in control of the board and not wobbling is to make sure you keep plenty of weight on your front leg. Our brain tells us to lean back when we go down hills (like walking) but you need to fight that urge. A quick easy guide is to look down at your front foot. If you can't see it because your knee is in the way then your stance is pretty good (legs bent, weight on front foot).
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

xxxJakkxxx
Baby

Post by xxxJakkxxx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:11 pm

I believe I was putting my weight on my back leg, but I did keep my knees bent as I know that's important in every sport that requires balance. Tonight I'll try focusing on stance while I'm out practicing and keep my weight on the front foot while leaning slightly forward.

I checked last night as I was tightening all of the hardware on the board like binding screws and stuff and I saw an Orange egg looking thing in my trucks. I am about 160lbs not counting any added weight from my pads. Also, i noticed a large bolt on the bottom of the trucks that seems to loosen and tighten them. Any advice on how tight it should be?

I noticed last light after posting that it requires a lot of work from the quads, core, back and shoulders and arms so I'm going to try to do some muscle building exercises on those spots. I did the wall sits last night and the work quads and core very well.

*edit
Oh yeah, when I was watching how to videos a saw them doing a turn where they squatted down, grabbed the edge of the board and just pulled for dear life. I was seeing if I could even do the position without the board moving and is find that point that the board would almost to but stay steady and about 3 seconds of that killed me and I'd fall an my ass. I think that's what I need to strength train for. Lol

Thanks for the help guys. =)

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:01 pm

At 160, on orange bushings, you should be fine. The only way to know how tight you want it is trial and error. spend 15 minutes and just tighten down a half turn on each kingpin (bolt in center of truck), stand on it and see if it's stable enough.
I suggest also doing an ab routine. regular sit up, toe touches, plank and suitcases are good.

xxxJakkxxx
Baby

Post by xxxJakkxxx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 pm

So I just went out and played around for about half an hour on a small hill (i got home late and my apartments don't have much in the way of hills). I did spend a bunch of time on my rear, but this time it was my choice. I was practicing J turns. Heel side, which I thought would be easy, was very difficult for me and my lack of board balance. I kept falling mid turn from leaning too far back while pulling up on the board. I also would wind up on the ground without the board turning from pulling and falling before the board could even turn.

Toe side on the other hand went great. it was much less scary than I thought it would be and I was turning very sharply for how I've been doing. I couldn't hold the turn when going faster but I just leaned back into the turn to finish it out. I didn't actually fall on my face once while practicing. I think the reason I wasn't completing the turn while going faster was from fear of sliding. It rained earlier and the grass was wet so it was slippery. I found that out on the heel side a few times. Lol

I also tightened the kingpin up and made the board much more stable. It was pretty loose to start with.

Today was a lot more fun. Hopefully I'll be to the trail riding soon for the real fun I'm looking for. =)

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:38 am

If you're having issues with heelside, try and stay more centered on the board. Drop a bit lower, and keep your center of balance mostly over the board. You are probably just leaning your whole body back instead of just throwing out your ass.

xxxJakkxxx
Baby

Post by xxxJakkxxx » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Went out again after work. I did a few runs down a small hill and was getting acclimated to balancing on the board. All was going well so I decided to go down a short dirt road by the hill that's no longer used. Again, all was going great until I found some pretty deep tire tracks. I was riding the middle but in the turn, i accidentally dropped into 1 side which caused me to lose all balance. I was apparently riding with my weight on the rear leg because the front of the board shot upward dropping me onto my ass. After twisting my right leg, the binding allowed me to leave it and I slid to a stop on my back. That ended my day of mountain boarding.

My pads were a life saver, the dirt and rocks didn't hurt my elbows, ass, head, wrists/ hands or the sides of my legs. I did get some road rash my upper arm but nothing terrible. I did however twist my right leg. It happened when I fell flat on my back while the board was still facing forward before my foot came out of the binding. I am icing and compressing my calf on my right leg which hurts pretty badly at the ankle and the upper portion of the calf behind the knee. I still have full function of both joints and it doesn't hurt to badly when applying pressure, it just doesn't like supporting my weight currently.

A good takeaway for me and all other newbies, tel your instincts of leaning back to go to hell and just listen to people that know what they're doing. Lol

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:48 am

Weight should be on the front foot. That will allow you to balance better and give you better control of the board. I guess you have learnt that the hard way by now. :)

You'll be pleased to know it doesn't take long to overcome what your body already thinks it should do. Have a quick look here: http://www.mountainboarding.uk.com/learning-the-basics-of-mountainboarding/learning-the-basics/

You've probably sussed most of it out already but it might save you one more fall. Some of the guys on here have made some good YouTube vids for when your ready to try more.

I'm glad you're enjoying it and getting out often. That's the key to progression so you should master the basics fairly quickly. Butt pads or padded shorts also help take some if the pain away from learning and some of us still ride with them now. The Hill Billy versions is quite popular.

Keep enjoying yourself.
[align=center]Trampa[/align]

[align=center]Allowing even fat blokes to ride since 2000...[/align]

barxx
Slightly dirty

Post by barxx » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 am

I took alot from snowboarding, remember your not on a skate board you need to lean forward with the hill this will help keep your weight centered on the board, your feet are more centered on the board and the trucks/wheels are further out (unlike a skateboard all weight over the rear truck).

Turning is different from a snowboard though as there is no edge on which you slide to turn.

Learn the basics and i mean basics, toe/heelside turns, linking turns this will help slow you.

And most of all stopping (no point in starting if you can't stop). Learn at low speed crouch down grab the board with both hands and lean back. at real low speeds you'll just drop back and roll onto your back still facing downhill as your cofidence in your power of stopping grows and you get faster you'll find the back end starts sliding round and you'll stop side on to the hill. Nail this and as you get even more confident stand up a bit higher each time keep your weight forwardand kick like a mule with your back leg, Nice powerslide!!

Stance is important aswell, stand on your board on flat ground nice and tall, squat a few inch, knees bent arse out slightly but keep tall, relax rock backwards and forwards and see how it feels if you fall down your weight's wrong try again.

Have fun and don't worry about looking like a dick practicing basics we all do it and you gotta learn to walk before you can run and learn to run before you can fly

xxxJakkxxx
Baby

Post by xxxJakkxxx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Broke the rest rule for my torn calf and went out and practiced some lower speed j turns. Because of the pain in my back leg I was forced to keep my weight on the front foot and it seems to have helped. I was able to power through the toe sides without having to readjust part way through from almost falling. The heel side also went well, i was crouching to a point that I wasn't almost falling at and stuck my ass out instead of leaning a lot and I kept my balance more.

I cut the practice short since I was supposed to be staying off of my leg as much as possible but I couldn't keep ignoring my board when I've only had it for just about a week.

SpinDR
Noob

Post by SpinDR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:00 am

Keep it up man. Sounds like your getting it down pretty quick

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 am

yoo where have you been doing your riding?

xxxJakkxxx
Baby

Post by xxxJakkxxx » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie wrote:yoo where have you been doing your riding?

There is a small grassy hill behind my apartments as well as a larger grassy hill at a park a few miles away. I've been just practicing the basics when I can. Haven't been out in a while because of my leg but it's feeling better so I'm going to get out there tonight for a bit and get back to practicing j turns and starting upright. =)

barxx
Slightly dirty

Post by barxx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Don't be to worried about crashing after a while you'll learn to control a crash. and after a few hard hits you'll realise you're naot made of glass it might smart but you'll be fine.

3 simple rules i learnt;

1.) Pain is tempoary
2.) The glory lasts forever
3.) Chicks dig scars
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][color="Red"]If you're gonna be dumb, then you gotta be tough[/color][/SIZE][/font]

Return to “Newbie Q&A”