Virgin Boarder......

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

OoEy
Noob

Virgin Boarder......

Post by OoEy » Tue May 07, 2013 7:33 am

Hi,

I've been interested in mountain boarding for a while and despite not jumping on a skate board for over 15 years (wasn't great at that tbh) I decided to take the plunge.

I have got an almost new (thing is immaculate) MBS Core 95 with Vector trucks (?) and the relevant pads n helmet for £80, gotta love eBay.

Found a steepish track locally and jumped on. Started about half way down and whilst i managed to go down the track without falling off I must say most of my energy and effort was goiing into my balance, i was all over the place.

I then went a bit further up the hill and again balance was an issue, that and Im not sure how to stop lol.

I've uploaded a video of my last run, i fell and smashed my chin. You can see in it that im fairly wobbly.

So question is how do I sort out my balance and how do i stop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6hzPpkBE8Q

Cheers in advance....

Jay

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Tue May 07, 2013 8:15 am

Ouch. Is there anyway to tighten Vector trucks up (more of a question to other riders) - cos they seemed a bit wobbly. I would suggest getting your stance a bit lower - you are going to be be more stable with your knees bent (and also closer to the ground if you do come off).

Try riding on a grassy hill - might be a bit smoother and softer than a rough track.

Jasper on here has posted some vids on youtube for basics - would be worth checking them out http://www.youtube.com/user/0neDayProductions

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 am

Another tip is to try and find local riders - much easier to pick stuff up off people. I am sure there are a few riders on here who are in your sort of area.

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:37 am

You can tighten the kingpin on a vector truck to make it more stable (cause of so much wobble), personally I'd try and pick up some matrix trucks cheap! Stopping is done via sliding which can be tricky on skate/vector trucks..

Also, if you're prepared to come up to Cleeve Hill one weekend, I'd be more than happy to ride with :)

EDIT: I actually have some used Matrix Channel trucks laying around with some slightly rusty springs, but not prepared to post.

OoEy
Noob

Post by OoEy » Tue May 07, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks...

Ill check out those videos.

Location wise i'm in the Cotswolds, Bourton on the water.

Would be good to find out if there is anyone local.

EDIT: Just saw your response Daleyg3. Cleeve is very close.

Am I right in thinking that the trucks will also determine if I can fit a brake or not? Get the feeling ill prob need some.

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:55 am

http://www.atbauk.org/regions/south-central/ < Places to ride near you, notice how most are around Cheltenham and Gloucester

OoEy
Noob

Post by OoEy » Tue May 07, 2013 1:04 pm

Looks like there are a lot of places locally.

Picked up a puncture on the last run so once I've got that fixed and my trucks tightened ill find a grassy hill and see if I can sort my balance out.

Ill def take you up on the offer to meet up at Cleeve Daleyg3, just need bit more board time before i'm prepared to make a fool of myself in public.

barxx
Slightly dirty

Post by barxx » Tue May 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Don't worry about making a tit of yourself in public i do it everytime i ride and you gotta learn somewhere.
Take up the cleeve hill offer, scour the internet for tuition vids (loadsa of 'em), Try sites like remolition, dirt box etc.
But seriously it is pretty esy to learn the basics. I've had my board for three years didn't ride last year and only a few dozen the year before, really got into it this year and i can ride stuff now i thought i'd never do. Find that grassy hill and just do one thingh over and over like turning and linking turns, stopping and crashing, and when i say crashing i mean learning that you are gonna lose it and controling it for damage limitation.

Have fun, stick with it and smile :)
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][color="Red"]If you're gonna be dumb, then you gotta be tough[/color][/SIZE][/font]

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:36 pm

OoEy wrote:Thanks...

Ill check out those videos.

Location wise i'm in the Cotswolds, Bourton on the water.

Would be good to find out if there is anyone local.

EDIT: Just saw your response Daleyg3. Cleeve is very close.

Am I right in thinking that the trucks will also determine if I can fit a brake or not? Get the feeling ill prob need some.

Matrix Trucks do have slots for brakes but I didn't use one for learning (I learnt on them). Don't worry about falling over, I know some easy spots that you can slowly build up on :)

PM me if you wanna get a Cleeve day arranged

DrSkaCtopus
Noob

Post by DrSkaCtopus » Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Read the part about vector trucks being too wobbly. From what I saw with the trucks (one of my friends has them) they're just a zero degree RKP truck mounted on the angled part of the board (obviously) tightening the trucks, while it does somewhat hinder movement, it is bad for the bushings which can be chewed up or ripped. Your best bet is to go for some harder bushings. Try an online skate retailer (like motionboardshop, Daddies, or muirskate). They have a huge selection of bushings. You would need a barrel bushing for the boardside and probably a short cone roadside. You can always shim the bushings down by hand if they won't fit. Tightening your trucks, btw, is actually counter-intuitive to fighting something like speed wobbles. Inability to turn would just make it more difficult to fight the hunting oscillation the rear wheels experience while riding. Loose trucks = good, tight trucks = loosen up your trucks!

OoEy
Noob

Post by OoEy » Wed May 08, 2013 5:30 am

Thanks for all of the input guys.

I don't think I need to worry too much about the trucks etc at the moment.

The board is good enough as is for me to learn some basics and get my confidence up.

Hoping to get out for an hour tonight if I can get back from work on time.

Getting the tube out to repair the puncture last night was a nightmare. Found the cause tho, a very small sharp piece of wood, luckily no damage to tyre.

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Wed May 08, 2013 5:31 am

Ooey, thanks for sharing the video. it actually took me back mentally to the beginning of my riding. =) Those were some fun times.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

OoEy
Noob

Post by OoEy » Wed May 08, 2013 9:36 am

No worries Jimmy, In spite of the smashed chin (which I thought was healing quite nicely till all this s**t started leaking out of it last night) I had great fun!

My kids kept saying I was too old and that i'd kill myself, by the time we were done my eldest said I was the coolest dad in the world. Result!

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 am

OoEy wrote:No worries Jimmy, In spite of the smashed chin (which I thought was healing quite nicely till all this s**t started leaking out of it last night) I had great fun!

My kids kept saying I was too old and that i'd kill myself, by the time we were done my eldest said I was the coolest dad in the world. Result!

Lol, by the way, Cleeve's ground is generally nice and bouncy ;) Never had even a small injury up there!

OoEy
Noob

Post by OoEy » Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 am

I need to check with the wife but i'm thinking of heading over this weekend for a couple of hours.

Where abouts on the hill do you go?

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 am

Sat or Sun? Most of the time near the viewpoint entrance and close to hole 18.. very open area with a fuck load of mole hills! I'll upload a pic later if you don't know where I mean :) I'll PM you my number

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 am

Best thing you can do to get more stability is change your stance. Think about riding horse, back straight, knees slightly bent, shoulders parallel with the deck. Then shift your weight onto your front leg a little. A quick way to check you have enough weight on your front leg and that your stance is correct is that you shouldn't be able to see your front foot because your knee gets in the way. If you're riding and you glance down and can see your foot, you're probably about to wobble, just gently shift your body towards the front of the deck a little and you'll get back in control.

To steer, push your your hips over your toes to turn toe-side or over your heels to turn heel-side. Keep your back upright and don't learn over or try to steer with your ankles. The body motion for a toe-side turn is a bit like if you were to drop onto your knees from standing up, and a heel-side is a bit like being an old man and lowering yourself onto a park bench. Steering like this keeps your head and shoulders over the board, which maintains your centre of gravity, gives you better control.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Wed May 08, 2013 11:27 am

OoEy wrote:...My kids kept saying I was too old and that i'd kill myself, by the time we were done my eldest said I was the coolest dad in the world. Result!

Never too old to ride mate at least until you start using a walking stick... Moreover, nobody can see your hair starting to get grayish under a lid :)
- Enjoy the Ride -

OoEy
Noob

Post by OoEy » Wed May 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks for the tips Leapb4ulook, ill def look at adjusting my stance.

Also, thanks for the warm reception as well guys much appreciated....

Return to “Newbie Q&A”