HELP! MBS comp26x plus f4 bindings

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

madmike
Baby

HELP! MBS comp26x plus f4 bindings

Post by madmike » Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Hey guys, i just acquired this brand new (although a few years old) comp 26x mountain board. It didn't have bindings on it. I purchased some mbs f4 bindings to find that they don't fit this old style of bolts on this older deck.

I'm just barely getting into the sport, and really don't want to put any more money into it till i can justify it by spending some time out on the hills.

What should i do here? Look for a new deck? Drill holes in this deck? Find snow board style bindings, and sell these f4s? Not sure, would love any input you have for me. THanks in advance!

bennett326
Noob

Post by bennett326 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:24 pm

if you want to drill it here is a diagram that shows you where to drill the holes(all credit goes to ben for making it). you can also sell them and get snowboard style ones, its up to you
Attachments
bindingsdrillpattern1.jpg

madmike
Baby

Post by madmike » Thu May 23, 2013 12:35 am

Wow thanks for this! How do you guys feel about snowboard style vs the strap?

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu May 23, 2013 7:47 am

depends on your riding style and what shoes you wear. for a beginner id recommend the f4's over snowboard bindings.
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Don't worry about drilling that deck - I have one and have drilled it a fair few times for different bindings.

barxx
Slightly dirty

Post by barxx » Thu May 23, 2013 2:17 pm

fair warning though madmike it is a bit of a bitch of a job, mark it up using a pen and masking tape also tape both sides of the deck for drilling as this will stop splintering and de lam. Take your time in setting it all up you may find that you can use an exsisting hole anyway as a starting point for where the bindings sit on the board. Kinda sit the bindings on the board and make sure the look and feel like the position feels right and take your time. I did this job the other week and as it was my first time it took around 6 hours to do the job start to finish! The final sset up and tweaking will took some of that time but damn it was worth it. And if your pretty handy with things like this you'll prob enjoy doing it, i did. You'll be bombing the hills before you know it.
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][color="Red"]If you're gonna be dumb, then you gotta be tough[/color][/SIZE][/font]

madmike
Baby

Post by madmike » Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! ill for sure plan it out like crazy barxx. Do you center this whole configuration around the existing binding holes? or how do you determine how far forward (towards the trucks) to drill?

bennett326
Noob

Post by bennett326 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:40 pm

if the deck is fiberglass? to prevent splintering use a small pilot bit and slowly work your way up. some cutting oil while drilling may help also.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Fri May 24, 2013 5:33 am

a bit of an issue in your case madmike as the deck is a different design to the one i took the measurements from. so once you've drawn the holes onto the deck (and before drilling) i think it would be wise to stand on the deck and see that the width of the stance is comfortable for you.

madmike wrote:Do you center this whole configuration around the existing binding holes? or how do you determine how far forward (towards the trucks) to drill?

all my measurements are given from the bend of the deck (from its relative side) and towards the centre of the deck, not in reference to the 4 hole snowboard bindings patter. id recommend taking a trisquare and running a nice straight line along the fold (at the bottom of each kick) and maybe put some take along that line and make all measurements from it.

oh and as bennett326 said, starting with a much smaller driller bit is an excellent idea!

***edit: after a quick check i found your deck is quite a bit longer than average. as a reference. the two closest wholes on my deck (one from each binding) are roughly 31.5cm appart.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Fri May 24, 2013 5:45 am

just fond this on the trampa site. and this is on their long deck!
Attachments
trampa.jpg

madmike
Baby

Post by madmike » Fri May 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks so much ben! Too kind. This helps a lot. I'll post pictures once i have it done. I think i have the taping just right. Double checking it now.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat May 25, 2013 1:43 am

no worries, any more Q's, dont be shy

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Mon May 27, 2013 4:30 am

really recommend flipping your hangers on the comp26s, maybe after you've ridden it for a while tho. improves the feel 500%.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e276/boogaschi/DSCF6847-1.jpg

Return to “Newbie Q&A”