Coming from kite boarding...

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

ZeroGravRix
Baby

Coming from kite boarding...

Post by ZeroGravRix » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:46 am

Hey guys,

For the last few years I've been doing kite boarding. I had a stab at doing some downhill with my kite board but I was on pretty lose skate trucks and the board sits fairly high so it didn't take long for speed wobbles to make me think twice about carrying on. Luckily a couple of local lads turned up and let me use their Trampa on channel trucks and the difference in stability was obvious. I was only able to go straight though so my question is what's the technique to carving? Turning with the kite is quite easy just power up and slide it out. I've done a bit of snow boarding but I've just started that as well..

Cheers!

:D

barxx
Slightly dirty

Post by barxx » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Yer i used to have skate trucks and had to tighten 'em right up to stop the wibble wobbles though they are good for learning to carve as in the way they are the least stable.

Turn by using your hips to lean out over the edge of the board, so stick your bum out with a slight twist heelside and thrust 'em forward with sliht twist toeside (think snake hips, like on a saturday night at the discotheque.)

It's different to snow as you use shoulders there.

Use your turns to control your speed.

ENJOY! :)
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][color="Red"]If you're gonna be dumb, then you gotta be tough[/color][/SIZE][/font]

Mr_Wobble
Noob

Post by Mr_Wobble » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:42 am

I mainly landboard too. I've only done a little bit of mountain boarding (with the intent to do more this Summer). Search the net for some beginner guides, and they'll give you the basics how to use your body to turn.
It's different to using a kite. With the kite you're leaning back against the pull, and using your legs and ankles more. With mountain boarding you more or less keep your ankles still, keep your shoulders above the board, and shift your weight from your hips. Think "bum & tum". Just as a static exercise on the flat, get on your board, bend your knees slightly, then shift your hips forwards and backwards, and you'll find the board turns.
As with snowboarding and skiing, lean forward a bit in the direction of travel, which will feel odd after using it with a kite, but familiar from the snowboarding you've done.
As for your board, you probably just need to tighten the trucks a bit, but not too much or you'll loose maneuverability. At least skate trucks are easy to adjust until just right, unlike basic channel trucks where your only option is to strip the springs out and keep changing the egg shocks. More expensive channel trucks will give you more adjustment without changing shocks all the time.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:16 am

I'm in Oxford. Are you free this Saturday (22nd)? It's World Mountainboard Day and a few of us are going over to Cleeve Hill. You should come along, have a ride, try some other boards, meet other riders, and generally have loads of fun. Let me know if you want a lift.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

Return to “Newbie Q&A”