Trampa deck for freeriding

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Bill
Noob

Trampa deck for freeriding

Post by Bill » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm about to purchase a Trampa brake board for freeriding on 8 to 12 feet wide dirt roads . I'm new to the sport with virtually no skateboarding experience, but of course want to buy a board I'll be happy with in the long run. I understand the 35 Holy Pro and 35 long decks are both suitable and presumably equally indestructible. I'm 6-3 and weigh 77 kg. Any suggestions regarding preferences?

Roger knockhill
Dirty

Post by Roger knockhill » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:54 pm

go long mate, your to tall for a midget sized deck ;)

Bill
Noob

Post by Bill » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks Roger. Sounds like the right advice.

Bill
Noob

Post by Bill » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:01 pm

I just learned that crease to crease measurements are the same on both boards. The crease to tip measurement is 1.58" more on the 35 long for a total of 3.16, but I don't see how that would lead to more stability. The holy pro's axle to axle length is 1.19" less and this would presumably mean less stability, but I can't see how such a small amount would make much difference to handling.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:26 am

On longer tips the trucks are placed further up the tips, this decreases the height of the deck off the floor (increasing stability) and also increases the wheelbase of the board (increasing stability), but it also increases spinweight (making it slightly harder to do spins) and it decreases leverage on the trucks (making the deck less responsive to turning, but more stable, less prone to wobbles over rough terrain).

You can either go for a short, lightweight, agile board (what I like) by choosing a short board, light trucks, light wheels and 8" tyres. Or you can go for a long stable tank (like a nosno), long board, brakes, 9-10" tyres, snowboard bindings and so on.

It's totally up to you, there is no right or wrong, especially when it comes to freeride. People ride equally well on light freestyle decks as they do on 5 tonne nosno tanks.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Bill
Noob

Post by Bill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 am

Thanks. Very helpful and informative. Should I therefore assume that the additional 1" in the 35 long's axle to axle length will provide a noticeably more stable ride with less wobble on rough ground than the holy pro? Or is this minor difference in length insignificant?

Bill
Noob

Post by Bill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:57 am

I just learned that holy pro decks are almost always used with the magura brake system. Ted at Trampa said the 35 long would require modifications for it to work with magura brakes. He also said both boards are equally stable.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:38 am

get a long deck fo sho, brennig is right that short decks are fun and agile, but i think over all you will find a long deck a much more all round board which will be much better for picking the sport up with
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Bill
Noob

Post by Bill » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:53 am

I agree, but Trampa only produces brakeboards with holy pro decks. Specs also show they're not much shorter than the 35 long. Thanks.

Return to “Newbie Q&A”