Shoulder pads

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Bill
Noob

Shoulder pads

Post by Bill » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:16 am

Anyone out there bother with shoulder pads? A good idea for beginners?

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:35 pm

never heard of any but i must say i often hit and bash mine around, never anything very serious though
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Bill
Noob

Post by Bill » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:47 am

It just occurred to me that, while shoulder pads are widely used in hockey and American football, they're not a common item in Britain.

Erich
Slightly dirty

Post by Erich » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:52 pm

I have a sixsixone spine protector with shoulder pads. I haven't worn it except to try it on. It seems like it will do a good job. I bought it for boardercross after messing up my shoulder at Cedar Ledge last year.

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:34 am

Shoulder pads will prevent scrapes, but they won't do anything to protect your collar bone, so I personally don't bother.

Bill
Noob

Post by Bill » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:30 am

Thanks Erich and Mikael. The sixsixone looks like a great design. My shoulder pads (for hockey) would also help to protect my spine and chest. They also have hard plastic panels above the collar bone, so I expect they would provide protection there.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:30 am

sorry to go a bit off topic but why do people seem to break there collar bone mountainboarding so often?
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Bill
Noob

Post by Bill » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:55 am

Good question. Didn't know it was a common injury and hope to not gain any insight from direct experience! Still waiting to pick up my mountain board...

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:21 am

Bill wrote:Good question. Didn't know it was a common injury and hope to not gain any insight from direct experience! Still waiting to pick up my mountain board...

"The collarbone acts as a strut to connect the sternum to the shoulder blade. Because of the critical location of the clavicle, any severe force on the shoulder, such as falling directly onto the shoulder or falling on an outstretched arm, transfers force to the clavicle. As a result, the collarbone is one of the most commonly broken bones in the body."

Look at the second picture on the wikipedia page for "Clavicle Fracture." Relatively long bone with not a whole lot of support that under the worst circumstances can undergo fairly abusive stresses.

To add insult to injury the clavicle fractures are also the most common injury to newborns during the birthing process.

ATB,
Sam

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:13 pm

I have the 661 armour that Erich has and wear it DH riding or when I am out by myself - I've never stacked and felt like its significantly protected my shoulders, but there are some pretty big gouges in them...so evidently they stopped a few nasty cuts and grazes.

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:24 am

The 6th degree wrote:I've never stacked and felt like its significantly protected my shoulders, but there are some pretty big gouges in them...so evidently they stopped a few nasty cuts and grazes.

The shoulder segments of the 661 and similar torso protection "float," so they would provide zero protection for the collar boad.... just protection from localized (bruising type) impact, cuts, and abrasion to the shoulder area.

ATB,
Sam

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Padding on or over the collar bone will not help. As Sam indicated, falling on your shoulder is what breaks the collar bone. Happens in all boardsports, biking, etc.
So unless your body armor has really thick pads (like 5cm-thick) covering the whole shoulder, they're not going to save it.

Bill
Noob

Post by Bill » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I think the hockey shoulder pads I purchased will provide ample protection for the shoulder , but they are a bit bulky.

Return to “Newbie Q&A”