Recommendations for Beginner Board

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Veelox
Baby

Recommendations for Beginner Board

Post by Veelox » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Hello dirt surfing world!!

I am a very new mountain boarder (only recently doing it at a camp) and I've become quite interested in the sport. My only question is what type of board should I get. I've been looking around and there are many models that are quite appealing but a lot seem to have complaints about the wheels. I want to stay below the $200 mark on cost, while having a durable board.

Thanks a lot!

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:48 am

Hi Bud and welcome to the sport. There are so many board variations dependent on rider size and weight, board uses (freestyle, freeride, downhill, skatepark). If you are of average weight/height and you want an all round board which is cheaper because of its age but is still rideable because of its solid construction, has non post type bindings , uses trucks with a central king pin (skate trucks are crap) , look for an MBS comp 16. This is by no means guaranteed, there will be crap ones and good ones and other boards may be more suited to your situation but without additional details and with your limited board knowledge thats probably the safest thing I can suggest you buy without you cursing my name in 3 months. :)
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:58 am

MBS Comp or Pro range, Trampa, No Sno, are the most popular. Try Ebay or similar, loads of people take up the sport then scare or hurt themselves and sell their kit so there are plenty of bargains to be had. Also be sure to pad up properly with decent quality protective gear, you will be glad you did. Don't worry too much about the wheels, it will probably be a while until you are riding hard enough to damage even a basic set and a basic wheel is much cheaper to replace if you do.

Veelox
Baby

Post by Veelox » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:39 pm

I'm 5'9" and 130 pounds for a reference. The Trampa and No Sno are quite a bit out of my price range. I've been looking at the Atom 95x and the Colt 95x. What do you all think about those two or similar ones?

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:42 pm

how old are you veelox? id say you are already to big for the Atom and Colt range boards. if you choose MBS id say you must either Choose comp or pro range. but Mutleys advice is the way to go if your short on cash and want a decent setup straight off
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Veelox
Baby

Post by Veelox » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:55 pm

I'm 17 years old

Return to “Newbie Q&A”