Heel straps?! What am I missing?

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

tatumvay
Noob

Heel straps?! What am I missing?

Post by tatumvay » Wed May 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Hello folks! Might be a really newbie question, but I can't seem to find it after doing a couple of key searches, so I thought it would be appropriate to start a new thread:

I'm very new to mountainboarding and just purchased my first board (can't wait for it to get here.) I'm looking at stuff I need to get, like pads and stuff, and the topic of heel straps came up. Looking at some, I had an idea:

Can I use the toe strap of a snowboard binding ( I'm coming from the snowboarding realm where I have many boards and bindings to spare) instead of buying these "Heel" straps that MBS and Trampa sell?

They both seem built to be similar and have a similar function. Check out the photos below:

MBS Heel strap:

My Union Force toe strap:

They both have ladder straps, a padded "strap" part for the heel/toe and a ratchet of some sort.... might need to drill a small hole to fix to the mountainboard binding but am I missing something, or could these parts be interchangeable with a little bit of basic modification?

I guess I'll find out whenever my board gets here and I try it out; just didn't know if some of the more experienced guys might have already tested this out!

Thanks in advance!
- Tatum

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed May 07, 2014 1:24 pm

yeah anything can be a heel strap. some people just use a rubber cord thing. and yes those ladders might even be exactly the same. i know for fact the some Burton, all trampa, all nosno and all mbs ratchets and ladders are the same and are interchangeable.
Reason i say some for Burton is cause they have toe ratchets and ladders and upper ratchets and ladders. difference is that the toe ones are narrower and there for will NOT fit MBS, trampa or nosno ladders.

im pretty sure a friend of mine who isnt very active on this forum any longer did infact use snowboard bindings for heel
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

tatumvay
Noob

Post by tatumvay » Wed May 07, 2014 2:01 pm

Sweet! Good to know and I guess the best way to really know is to try it out!

My thinking was that I already have a bunch of extra toe straps, so instead of buying some, make use of something I already have :)

Thanks for the help!

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Thu May 15, 2014 7:57 pm

You also don't have to start with heel straps. It's a cultural thing. In the US people tend not to use them. In Europe almost everyone does.

Return to “Newbie Q&A”