Kid's First Board

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

kwdrysdale
Baby

Kid's First Board

Post by kwdrysdale » Thu May 22, 2014 10:54 am

Hi everyone! I'm a board sport enthusiast, and have been all my life. I grew up on a skateboard and snowboard so I was super excited when my son told me he wanted to get into mountainboarding. :) He has been skateboarding for a couple seasons now and is doing pretty good. No tricks or anything, but has good balance and control. He also does pretty good on my longboard. We live in the "flat lands" of Canada, but there are a few hills here I know he could ride. I've also heard you can ride flat ground, but not sure on that one as everything I've seen they always ride a hill. He is only 10 years old and is about 4.5 feet tall. Anyway...I've been looking at the MBS website and am considering an ATOM 80 - not sure about the brake yet too - or a Core 90. From looking at the specs, it doesn't seem like these boards are that much different. Here are my thoughts:
ATOM 80:
-shorter
-velcro bindings (F1)
-ATS trucks
-7" wheels
-one growth spurt may make it too short
-dedicated to him only :)
-not sure if trucks/bindings can be upgraded?

Core 90:
-about 6" longer
-velcro bindings (F2)
-ATS trucks
-8" wheels
-I could snag a run or two as well! :)
-can upgrade trucks/bindings in the future if wanted

A couple questions I have is how much different would these boards ride/feel?Is there much difference between the F1 and F2 binding? They are both velcro so I'm not sure how they can be much different. I know velcro will hold good cause I've used velcro bindings while wakeboarding. I just don't see how much different a velcro binding can be. :) No local stores to visit and see these things as well so I only have internet pictures and item descriptions to make my comparisons.

Any insight in this decision would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure the first board discussion has been done a million times but couldn't find anything specific to this type of question yet. Thanks!

Kevin

** EDIT ** An add on thought...I`ve seen so many different brands in Europe, are there any other reputable mountainboard brands in North America

Erich
Slightly dirty

Post by Erich » Thu May 22, 2014 11:47 am

MBS is the only Company in North America, since Ground industries went out of business. You could get a Trampa shipped from the UK, but it would cost $600 US or more. I Would recommend the comp 90 or comp 6 if you can find one used. The older comp 90's came with matrix trucks. If you cant find one used, consider the New comp 90 over a core, they are more upgradable to matrix trucks because of the tip angle. Amazon has them new for $300 US.
I live cement. I hate this street. Give dirt to me.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu May 22, 2014 12:22 pm

speaking purely from impression and one encountered with an atom 80.
the atom in a real kids boards, smaller wheels, smaller deck but will be a good way to introduce your son to the sport. but wont be of any interest to you at all.
the core range how ever are a step up and as you've said will be upgradable and it shares more standard parts with other deck.

in your place id go for the core 90, there is only half a kg between them and a progression would probably be much easier with the core. and price wise....well i have no idea how much they cost but in any case its down to what you think its worth to your son and how long he is likely to stick with it.
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

kwdrysdale
Baby

Post by kwdrysdale » Thu May 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks for the insight! It's so hard to make informed decisions when there are no riders in my area (that I know of) and no stores that sell anything either. I do like the idea of the ratchet bindings on the Comp 90 but here in Canada that's hitting close to $500 for a first board. I've tried searching for a used board and haven't been able to find anything yet. I'm searching Craigslist in BC and Alberta now and hoping to find something out west. Any eBay listings I've seen cost more than from a store I found in Hamilton, ON that ships for free. I will also try amazon.ca and see what they have there. Canadians can't shop from Amazon.com. :(

kwdrysdale
Baby

Post by kwdrysdale » Thu May 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Craigslist has found me a couple cheaper options. Now I'm hoping I can find a seller that will ship. The best board I found is an MBS Core 16 for $150. I've also found a no name board for $25!! That would be awesome because who knows how long he will stick with it. I'm sure I would love it...having board in the name is good enough for me, but young fellas can be pretty fickle. Lol

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu May 22, 2014 10:46 pm

i assume you mean COMP 16. might be a bit heavy and long for him at the moment, it is a an standard adult board. he might simply find it hard to turn it as he probably isnt heavy enough

kwdrysdale
Baby

Post by kwdrysdale » Fri May 23, 2014 6:21 am

It was listed as a Core 16 but I figured it was supposed to be a Comp 16 as well. Hmm...I guess this sport is so much more different than most other board sports for stuff like that then. I know they are heavier, but would think we could just loosen the trucks a little to allow him to steer. Didn't realize things like that would matter. I looked at the weight for things like jumps.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Sat May 24, 2014 5:18 am

my mistake! core 16 is real lol, always though it was comp. if you do buy a bigger, adult sized setup make sure it has the mbs yellow egg shocks (softest ones mbs do), though most do as that is what they are sold with as standard

Return to “Newbie Q&A”