It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

xBrendy
Baby

Could use some help...

Post by xBrendy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Hey guys,

I could really use some advice...

I've got an alaskan malamute and I'd really like to start training him to pull me. And I've seen some people using a mountainboard for that instead of those rediculous looking scooters. ( sorry, I think it just looks really silly )

So I've got a few questions...

I read on here that it's not very hard to learn. But, like.. I can't even skate. I'm bambi on rollerblades. I used to ride on those waveboard thingies, which went quite well. Guess I'm more balanced with both of my feet on the same panel. Can anyone learn to mountainboard?

( my malamute listens very well, so he won't just start running and never stop while dragging me through the dirt )

Are there special 'beginner' boards or are all the same?

And what exactly is a handheld V-brake?
Sounds like something that could come in handy..

And are there any other things I should really know when starting mountainboarding?

I'm sorry if those questions are on the forum somewhere allready. Hope you guys can help me :)

Thanks!

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:28 am

Yes anyone can mountainboard, as long as you have both legs and can walk and balance upright.
There are beginner boards but don't bother with them buy the best you feel you can afford. The good quality boards are very tough and will last you well, a good condition second hand one will be fine, ebay is the place to look. The cheaper ones are for kids really. If you buy a good board and decide its not for you it will be much easier to sell on. But that won't happen because mountainboarding freekin rules.

A v-brake is a set of brakes fitted to the trucks which act on a disc attached to the wheel controlled by a brake lever in your hand. They can be handy while learning or riding harsh terrain but there are more natural methods of controlling speed which still need to be learned. Make sure the board you buy has trucks that can be fitted with a brake then you have the option.

xBrendy
Baby

Post by xBrendy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:58 am

Thank you so much! I'll definately give it a try :D:D

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:01 pm

Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Wolfie65
Baby

Post by Wolfie65 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:24 pm

Saw a guy on quad skates (aka Roller Skates or even Disco Rollers....) on the bike path once, pulled by 2 Chow-type dogs. He was flailing all over the place, trying to hold onto....air....had no way of stopping or controlling direction. There are street crossings. Most drivers in that part of town are used to some odd contraptions emerging from said bike path.
I hope they made it home alive.
Point being, you should definitely learn to skate safely by yourself before hitching a powerful sled dog to the runaway caboose.
Generally, push scooters and inline skates are the easiest type of non-motorized rolling stock to master, but you need your hands free for the dog (A BUNNY! CHASE THE BUNNY!!), so Go Rollerblade.
Buy the best pads/wrist guards you can afford.
(That other dog we just passed looked at me funny...ABOUT -FACE! CHARGE!)

Return to “Newbie Q&A”