How to find places to ride?

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

rofer
Noob

How to find places to ride?

Post by rofer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:21 pm

So, just got my mountain board last week and have only been out on it once. Found a nice, open grassy hill and I went down it a couple of times. After briefly consulting my phone I found I was turning wrong, fixed it, and things seemed pretty good. However, spending a minute or so climbing the hill just 20s going down it started to feel a bit slow so I headed over to a nearby park and that's where I had a problem

Everything either seems way too steep to ride or too flat to keep any momentum on. How do people find places to ride? It felt like I was just carrying my board around.

gum-nuts
Noob

Post by gum-nuts » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:30 am

I've found when riding something for the first time the walk up is always good to suss out the terrain, surface, the best line and also escape routes!

I also break down steeper runs into sections, I usually start at the bottom and walk up to do a 20-30m run, whatever feels comfortable speed and control wise then the next time go 5m -10m further up and keep doing that until I feel confident to ride the whole hill!

The tracks I ride are usually fire breaks with a varied surface so you can pick the hard packed stuff to go faster and sand or soft stuff to scrub some speed, always with a mind on where I can go to slide and stop (escape route).

Another tip I learnt is if you feel that you are beginning to lose control or going to fast, get low - hand on the rail, then you are in position to slide and stop and if you do wipe out and you are low you are not going to go down as hard (not as far to fall!). Don't forget some protective gear.

There are probably folk out there with more experience who can help but I find these work for me...

gum-nuts
Noob

Post by gum-nuts » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:57 am

Just had another thought!

If you have a wide slope that feels to steep then traverse it (go across it) with big turns and back again, like on skis or a snowboard. As you confidence increases you will find yourself aiming further down hill! And to slow down you just steer back up hill and down hill to go faster.

I wrote this back in 2005 after doing my ATB instructors course...
http://www.racekites.com/2005/11/905/

rofer
Noob

Post by rofer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 am

Part of the problem is that there aren't a lot of slopes to ride on. I get the whole crossing back and forth thing to control my speed, but most of the slopes that seem too steep aren't much wider than one board length. I feel like there must be places I can ride that I'm just not considering.

I was hoping people could suggest places I might be overlooking. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any fire trails here in Pittsburgh :/

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:19 am

Have you tried reducing the tyre pressure?

rofer
Noob

Post by rofer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:23 am

I don't think that's the problem as I feel I can go over most of the terrain around beyond big rocks and trees, but the slope never seems right. Either it's too flat and I quickly lose momentum or it's just too steep to do safely. I imagine being in a city makes this a lot harder. I'll be visiting my parents soon in CT and I think I should have an easier time finding place to ride there.

Cmac_spartan
Noob

Post by Cmac_spartan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Just keep an open mind I'm relatively new to mountain boarding to and the best spot I've found is at a yacht club of all places. Also living in the city it's super fun to do stealth missions into golf courses just don't get caught!

Cmac_spartan
Noob

Post by Cmac_spartan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 pm

*too

gum-nuts
Noob

Post by gum-nuts » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:43 am

Cmac_spartan wrote:Just keep an open mind I'm relatively new to mountain boarding to and the best spot I've found is at a yacht club of all places. Also living in the city it's super fun to do stealth missions into golf courses just don't get caught!

I've always wanted to ride on a golf course!:rolleyes:

rofer
Noob

Post by rofer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:41 am

Cmac_spartan wrote:Just keep an open mind I'm relatively new to mountain boarding to and the best spot I've found is at a yacht club of all places. Also living in the city it's super fun to do stealth missions into golf courses just don't get caught!

Hahah, I do live right next to a golf course...
I'll keep my eyes open. Figuring out how to move along when it's flat would also probably help a lot.

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:24 am

rofer wrote:I don't think that's the problem as I feel I can go over most of the terrain around beyond big rocks and trees, but the slope never seems right. Either it's too flat and I quickly lose momentum or it's just too steep to do safely. I imagine being in a city makes this a lot harder. I'll be visiting my parents soon in CT and I think I should have an easier time finding place to ride there.

Reducing tyre pressure is one of the ways to control your speed, it makes you go slower. Until you learn to scrub and slide (unless you have a brake) I would advise running lower tyre pressures it will open up a load of terrain you might have felt apprehensive about before.

Wolfie65
Baby

Post by Wolfie65 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:03 pm

Pittsburg's kind of hilly, isn't it?
Those steep but narrow places you mentioned could be approached by mounting (or re-mounting) brakes, so you could kind of slowly feel your way down until you get comfortable. There's a small overpass here that traverses an arroyo where I have a choice of either using the same road cars going 40 use or staying on a walled-in sidewalk that is barely wider than the board and very steep, getting low and scrubbing the ground with a glove is pretty much the only way to get down in 1 piece.
If dirt/grass isn't readily available, try quiet streets.
Wear your pads, a helmet & gloves and PAY ATTENTION!

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:37 pm

South Park, PA.... about 12 miles from Pittsburgh.

<object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/NDM_C_gFSQ0?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/NDM_C_gFSQ0?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ATB,
Sam

rofer
Noob

Post by rofer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:33 pm

indigo_wolf wrote:South Park, PA.... about 12 miles from Pittsburgh.

Damn, that looks awesome. Not having a car really limits me though.

So far I just got a bit more confident and have been weaving through trees at a local park. It's a little technical and a fair bit terrifying, but that's what the padding's for. I'm liking how the better I get at this the more the world seems to open up.

seemakm
Noob

Post by seemakm » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:51 am

My favorite place to get them is http://www.ccs.com.

Return to “Newbie Q&A”