Choosing shocks

It's ok to ask beginner questions here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

rofer
Noob

Choosing shocks

Post by rofer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:25 pm

So, while riding today I had one of my whole shocks (spring, eggshock, and bottom hat) pop out. I found the eggshock and spring, but didn't realize I was missing the bottom hat until I got back home. I'll go look for it later, though I figure I might as well order a new one so I'm prepared in the future. I've got two question though.

First of all, how do I prevent this from happening again? I'm guessing I should probably be checking everything's tight on a regular basis.

More importantly though, this has made me think about my shocks some. I've been riding with the yellow eggshocks that came with my Comp 95, but I'm wondering if I might want to replace them with some trampa dampas instead. I've heard they can help with the speed wobble which I've definitely noticed. Even if i stick with eggshocks though, I'm thinking I might want something just a little bit stiffer. I'm wondering how stiffer shocks might affect my ride though. I like being able to make really tight turns and spend a lot of my time weaving around trees. If I get something stiffer than my yellow eggshocks am I going to lose some of this turning ability?

Devin Garland
Dirty

Post by Devin Garland » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:55 pm

The orange work for me, but if you want it stiff with no compression on the springs go red.
It also depends on the type of terrain you ride if you need it lose to turn you should go with orange eggs. If you're carving roads red.
Always tighen the bottom hat tight and always check all your hard wear.
Two easy ways to do this drop if it rattles you need to check it. The other way to check is to try and move the washers if the slide you need to tighten.
Most of all when you pack your board to go wherever check it before you leave.
Happy riding, can't speak gor any other board companys, so sorry about that, I only know MBS stuff.

Devin Garland
Dirty

Post by Devin Garland » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:04 am

Also it is harder to turn and it takes some time to break in new eggs so, break them in by rocking the board, while fixed in one spot. Also I adjust my compression based on what I am riding that day. If your going fast you want it a little stiffer if you are carving a lot no compresion and the same with skateparks. Just remeber high speeds with no carving tight, lower speeds or jumps medium compression. Slower speeds tight turns, and skateparks full loose.
Also you shouldn't use yellow eggs, unless you're light weight or really in to crazy carving they just don't handle speed very well. Hope this helps you be safe out there.

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:55 am

Great explanation Devin. Simple and thorough. I'll definitely change those yellow eggs rofer. They came also with my comp 95 and I found them too soft, even compressing the springs to some amount. Changed for orange ones and it's the perfect balance for speed, jumps and carve. The stability and confidence you get to push harder with harder eggs is totally worth the change.
- Enjoy the Ride -

rofer
Noob

Post by rofer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks for all the advice. Definitely like things a bit loose so I'm either going to go for either orange eggs or green trampa dampas.

mario64

Post by mario64 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:59 am

I've got a spare set of unused orange eggs if you're interested?

rofer
Noob

Post by rofer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Yeah, definitely interested. I'm in the US though, any idea how much it'd cost to ship to me? My zipcode is 15289.
Also, need to find my bottom hat. Might find it outside, otherwise I'll have to figure out where online I can order one.

mario64

Post by mario64 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:04 pm

it looks like i can send it to you for about £13, and i could sell you the eggs and 2 of the top/bottom hats for £7, so £20 overall. But it might be cheaper to get them where you are.

rofer
Noob

Post by rofer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:59 pm

MBS offered to send me a new hat for just the shipping cost. Decided to buy a set of orange eggs from them and it all worked out to $14. Now I just have to wait until I can get back on my board.

seemakm
Noob

Post by seemakm » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:27 am

bootom hat is best

jackinator
Noob

Post by jackinator » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:56 pm

out of curiosity and relating tto the title " Choosing shocks," does anyone know how the eolo and scruub egg shocks compare to the mbs ones? they seem to be the same shape and slightly cheaper, not that the $3 much matters. Anyone know how the durameters compare between all 3 brands? Do they at least fit mbs matrix/pro matrix trucks?
http://www.powerkiteshop.com/accessories/eoloelastomers.htm
http://www.powerkiteshop.com/accessories/scrubelastomers.htm

Return to “Newbie Q&A”