What Video Camera?

A place to rest your bones and lick your wounds after a hard day of riding. Cold beer, good jokes, and general off-topic banter are welcome here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Demonseed
Slightly dirty

What Video Camera?

Post by Demonseed » Tue May 31, 2011 12:09 am

What up people!
I've been checkin out all the vids you guys put up and love em all... I want
start doing this myself but I have no idea what's good and whats crap.. And there's literally hundreds of the the bloody things to choose from :confused:
I want to get as soon as possible so I thought rather than buying loads of
Which Camera magazines and and trying to research all of them I'd put to the
guys out there using them..

Help me out guys.. What should I buy?

Thanks!! :D
The pain will take it's course.. Relax.. Let it go dark... Your coming with me....

TylerStartin

Post by TylerStartin » Tue May 31, 2011 9:24 am

Well, I guess a safe bet is the Go Pro HD. The only issue with this one is that there is no included backscreen to view your videos or what your shooting with. However, they have released a backscreen attachment recently for like $80 I think. Gets a little expensive then. Otherwise, I think a sony handycam is generally a safe bet as well.
leapb4ulook wrote:By the power vested in me by our heavenly administrator I hearby forgive you and absolve you of all your sins. Go in peace.

evilc

Post by evilc » Tue May 31, 2011 12:12 pm

What's your budget?

How do you plan on using it? By this I mean do you mainly do freestyle with plenty of friends to sit around and film, or do you freeride and would want a head camera? Think about how much time you want to devote to not riding but instead filming - if this is low, you probably want a head cam.

A GoPro HD is a good bet due to the 720p 60FPS mode and the ability to put two together for 3D. They are also good for filming freestyle if you mount it on a pole as the high / low close in angles tend to work very well. With a full sized camera this is not as easy as it will be heavy on the pole.

If you will be doing lots of long distance shots, you do NOT want a GoPro, I don't think they have a zoom, and if they do it's a digital zoom which is useless as it can be done in post.
(Work in Progress) Board buying guide

My Rides

Main:
TK Pro deck | F3 bindings | FX heelstraps | Rockstar Pro hubs | T1 tyres | Trampa Vertigo trucks w/ Titanium kingpins | Less Spring mod | Yellow Trampa Dampas | Stainless steel fixings upgrade

Spare / Loaner:
Trampa 16 ply 35 deg long deck | Talon II bindings | FX heelstraps | Manhick cast metal triskpoke wheels | Scrub Alu trucks | Green Trampa Dampas | ABS brake kit

TylerStartin

Post by TylerStartin » Tue May 31, 2011 5:25 pm

Go Pros definitely do not have zoom.
leapb4ulook wrote:By the power vested in me by our heavenly administrator I hearby forgive you and absolve you of all your sins. Go in peace.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:54 am

evilc's posts are incredibly relevant, if u go down his route of thinking id suggest either a dslr nikon d5000 or nikon d3300, the reason for this is it will offer superb video quality due to the size of the lens but will also alow for settings to be changed quickly and easily, not always so accesibly done on compact hand cams.

Other than that type of camera i agree with the above, gopro. the screen (lack of) isnt that annoying as u just learn what angle to point it at and after a few sessions u work it all out. if u buy it, buy it, use it for a while then decide if u really want a screen
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Demonseed
Slightly dirty

Post by Demonseed » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi Guys!

Been tied up with work and haven't had a chance to respond.
Thanks for your advice.. All noted.
My budget is around 1000 pounds. I will do some filming myself, but the majority will be done by someone else.
I'm trying to put something together here and will need more advice from all of you in the near future.. I'm going for a really big push out here to promote the sport (I am literally the only guy here doing it :( ) and try and get some support from some of the big wigs.. There is a couple of sheiks here that are really into the extreme sports and there is a very good chance that they will back me in this effort.
I'll save all of that for a new post..

Thanks again guys for all your thoughts and responses :D
The pain will take it's course.. Relax.. Let it go dark... Your coming with me....

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:47 am

wow a grand, thats a pretty good amount if u dont usually use cameras alot, id suggest gopro hd and a dslr with HD film shooting capabilites fitted with a standard 18-55mm lens and a long lens if u have anything in ur budget left. Dont forget to aquire editing software.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:13 am

Canon 60d is £999 with a kit lens as Jasper suggested. It probably has the best video around for an SLR, either that or the 7D, but if you're looking at video I'd get the 60D. Or maybe even a 600D and you'd also have room for a GoPro HD. I think the Nikon might be cheaper, but from what I've seen Canon have the best video quality. Canon also have better lenses, but if you're considering photography but pouring money into lenses I would consider the Nikon. I wouldn't suggest Sony or other companies.

You're also filming in Dubai? You might want to consider dust and other factors, a lot of cameras and lenses can't withstand dust, sand and dirt. I know the 60d will be weather proof, and all L series lenses and most upper end EF-s will be. Not sure about Nikon but Jasper should be able to help.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

evilc

Post by evilc » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:20 am

Yeah for that budget I would definitely say grab a gopro HD then think about a traditional video camera as well.
You may also want to look at a VIO POV HD. Better features than a GoPro HD but priced to match at £500, however it does come with a screen, so not really much more than a GoPro with an LCD Bacpac, and the external lens with a preview screen is an excellent form factor that has more uses (As well as making it childs play to make sure a helmet mounted lens is seeing what you think it is seeing). Remote start stop is also really handy, along with "Record from the past" which means it is sort of recording all the time so you can hit record after whatever you wanted to film actually happened.

My Rides

Main:
TK Pro deck | F3 bindings | FX heelstraps | Rockstar Pro hubs | T1 tyres | Trampa Vertigo trucks w/ Titanium kingpins | Less Spring mod | Yellow Trampa Dampas | Stainless steel fixings upgrade

Spare / Loaner:
Trampa 16 ply 35 deg long deck | Talon II bindings | FX heelstraps | Manhick cast metal triskpoke wheels | Scrub Alu trucks | Green Trampa Dampas | ABS brake kit

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 am

not sure about nikon video quality to be honest but im on the nikon team when it comes to photo cameras and i disagree with canon lenses being better, id pick nikon every time, but thats because i use them for photographs not filming as mine dosnt have film function. :( As for weather proof i dont have a clue tbh, i just try and take good care of my cameras, im running a low end nikon at the moment (d3000) but we've also got a high end one cant remeber what model off the top of my head and thats real nice too. If u can id say try before u buy with DSLRs as alot of the new lower end ones are trying to be newbie friendly and downsizing the size and sometimes u dont want a midget camera but a nice big thing to hold.

If u do go for a dslr and gopro combo, be aware neither will have amazing sound capturing qualities so u may want to take that in to account if u plan on shooting any interviews or what not

If you get any sort of conventional camera, or dslr buy a tripod, not a super stupid light weight one too, tripods need to be reasonably heavy to be nice and stable.

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:22 pm

well, i am an alpine skier, and ive gone threw 3 helmet/body cameras. i had two gopro helmet cameras and both broke stopped recording and ate threw brand new batteries in like 10 minutes, then stopped recording and turning on. i also used the atc4k or whatever it is, that was a peice of shit had full batteries, and a video card, it recorded videos for about 30-60 seconds, then it stopped recording video and just recorded audio which pissed me off because i got a lot of good lines that were never recorded..

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:13 am

Jasper wrote: but we've also got a high end one cant remeber what model off the top of my head and thats real nice too.

D300?? I think Nikon have better bodies but you can't match Canon's L seires.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Demonseed
Slightly dirty

Post by Demonseed » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:04 pm

This is great feedback guys :D Keep it coming... All being noted.
Yes, I will be filming in Dubai, So as its been mentioned I will have to look into the protection of the equipment from the elements here.
As for editing software I'm looking at Sony Vegas and Adobe.. Should I be considering any other software?

Thanks again guys for all your help and advise.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:10 am

i use adobe and its real good, not much u cant do with it especially if u get adobe after effects with it. If you wanna go real up market theres always avid

evilc

Post by evilc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 am

Is your PC beefy enough to edit HD without choking?
If you have a half decent nVidia graphics card (GTX 260 and above I believe), you will want Premiere Pro as that supports graphics card acceleration which will make a big difference. With GPU acceleration, most effects are handled by the graphics card, so you do not need to prerender the timeline for a smooth preview.
Vegas is nice also though, I used it for a while but went back to Premiere for the GPU acceleration and After Effects / Mocha.

My Rides

Main:

Spare / Loaner:

duckduckgoose
Noob

Post by duckduckgoose » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:56 pm

TylerStartin wrote:Well, I guess a safe bet is the Go Pro HD. The only issue with this one is that there is no included backscreen to view your videos or what your shooting with. However, they have released a backscreen attachment recently for like $80 I think. Gets a little expensive then. Otherwise, I think a sony handycam is generally a safe bet as well.

He's right, Go Pro is amazing. I use mine all the time to make shower videos of TylerStartin and the case really does keep water out. ;)

Demonseed
Slightly dirty

Post by Demonseed » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 pm

What up!!

Well, I've taken the first step.. I've got myself the Nikon DSLR 5000 as recommended.. Worked out real good as they were in the summer sales here, so I got it for a great price.. Carry bag, extra battery and a 16 gig memory card thrown in :D

Now I got to find a distributor for the GoPro camera.. Nothings fuckin easy in this place...
Attachments
Nikon.jpg

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:26 am

nice one man, when u get ur gopro, get a walking stick/ski pole and il show u how iv turned one in to both a pole cam and a mono pod if u want

Demonseed
Slightly dirty

Post by Demonseed » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Awesome Jasper!! That would be fantastic... Found a GoPro distributor, Should have that by Thursday, maybe Friday.. Now I gotta find the walking stick and the ski pole :D

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:29 am

tbh u could probably use any sorta pole, but i used a walking pole as u can then jam it in the ground and use the top as the mono pod and the spikey end for the gopro mount. thus one cheap pole mount

Return to “Surfing Dirt Pub”