Woman, 83, dies after being struck by skateboarder

A place to rest your bones and lick your wounds after a hard day of riding. Cold beer, good jokes, and general off-topic banter are welcome here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

OldDirtyBastard

Woman, 83, dies after being struck by skateboarder

Post by OldDirtyBastard » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:43 pm

[color="Sienna"]An 83-year-old Northern California woman has died after being hit by a skateboarder moving at 15 to 20 miles an hour, police said.

Maryann Slettehaugh was crossing a street in Capitola, California, Tuesday afternoon when she was struck by a 17-year-old boy, Capitola police Sgt. Andrew Dally told CNN affiliate KSBW-TV.

Dally said the skateboarder, who was traveling down a steep hill, jumped off the board and tried to avoid colliding with Slettehaugh but was unable to, according to KSBW. He stayed with the injured woman after the collision.

Slettehaugh was in a crosswalk and a panel truck had stopped to let her pass, according to media reports.

Slettehaugh was airlifted to a San Jose hospital, where she was pronounced dead, CNN affiliate KION-TV reported.

The teen has not been charged in the incident, but detectives are investigating, Capitola police Detective Marquis Booth told CNN.

Booth said municipal code prohibits skateboarding the Capitola Village commercial district where the accident occurred and the teen was cited for a violation.

"It just isn't a good mix when we have skateboarders," Booth said. "You can gain some pretty good speed going down that hill."

Dally told KSBW, "It was not a malicious type of act. He seemed like a pretty clean-cut and honest kid."

Slettehaugh's husband of 64 years, George Slettehaugh, told CNN affiliate KTVU-TV his wife had been hit by a skateboard 15 years ago.

"She was leery of them and tried to avoid them," George Slettehaugh said in an interview. "[She] kept watching for them all the time."

Maryann Slettehaugh was on her daily walk from her home to the beach when she was struck, according to media reports.

"It was her daily routine. She lived just two or three blocks away," Dally told KSBW.[/color]
[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"][color="Sienna"]Save a deck, ride a dirtboarder.[/color][/SIZE][/font]

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:41 pm

fuck i bet this will make some laws about boarding sports like skate/long

BryceAZ

Post by BryceAZ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:52 pm

Tragic, but an accident for sure. I feel bad for both of them. That's a hard burden to carry as a 17 year old kid.

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 pm

so hes not being charged? thats lucky

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:28 pm

Death by skateboard. Damn.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:45 am

that sucks for both and condolencies to the family, it may well add to the witch hunt for skaters!
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:06 am

Dang. Good on the kid for trying to bail out the way.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

eddie4x
Slightly dirty

Post by eddie4x » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:03 am

if shed been hit by one 15 years ago kinda says some thing no offence to her and all respect to her and family but if you try move out the way of a skateboard bike anything really and you go into there path its doomed where as if the person carrys on as they where the rider will go round them!!!
wronge place wrong time :(
PSN..... SixSixOne
Facebook..... Eddie grice
Twitter..... Eddie4x
Skype..... Eddieaka661
Youtube..... Nosno Eddie

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:39 am

eddie4x wrote:if shed been hit by one 15 years ago kinda says some thing no offence to her and all respect to her and family but if you try move out the way of a skateboard bike anything really and you go into there path its doomed where as if the person carrys on as they where the rider will go round them!!!
wronge place wrong time :(

I tried Google Translate, but it couldn't determine what language this is.

indigo_wolf
Experienced

Post by indigo_wolf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Mikael wrote:I tried Google Translate, but it couldn't determine what language this is.

Google would be the wrong tool. MS Word Grammer/Spell Check might be better. Moot point.... the comment, doesn't really reflect what happened.

The rider had already jumped from the board. She wasn't hit by the skateboard, but the rider who had bailed. The initial impact might have left her injured, but her head striking the pavement is what made it fatal. At 83 years old, it's doubtful that she was darting about in the road.

If the authorities decide to make an issue of things, I suspect that points that will be brought up are:

1. He was riding in an area where there was a standing statute against riding skateboards.
  2. He was wearing earbuds even though it is illegal to operate a car or bicycle in CA wearing headphones/earbuds in both ears. Yeah, you can try to push the case that a skateboard is neither a car or a bicycle, but if it is operating on a street or public sidewalk, I suspect the argument isn't going to get a lot of traction.
  3. He is 17 years old and was not wearing a helmet, even though it is illegal for a minor to ride a skateboard in CA without one.
Wouldn't be surprised to see more locales enact rules similar to LA county:

[color="DarkRed"]15.54.010: SKATEBOARDS - PROHIBITED ON GREATER THAN THREE-PERCENT GRADE.
No person shall ride on or propel any skateboard, as defined in Section 15.08.185, on any county road, street, highway, lane or alley which has a grade in excess of three percent, nor shall any person ride on or propel any skateboard on any county road, street, highway, lane or alley in excess of 10 miles per hour. (Ord. 12259 § 2, 1980: Ord. 6544 Ch. 1 Art. 4 § 1404.1, 1954.)[/color]

Kudos to the rider for staying with the victim until help arrived.

+1 to Bryce's comment: "That's a hard burden to carry as a 17 year old kid."

I just keep thinking about the husband's words: "We've been together for so long that I don't know what to do alone," said the victim's husband George Slettehaugh.

ATB,
Sam

bassist21685
Noob

Post by bassist21685 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:19 pm

good he stayed with her, that is alot of pressure for a minor. i feel bad for both of them. obviously she got the worst end of the deal. i hate reading these kind of situations, because it burdens our sport, but in a case like this it is a problem, skaters die everyday doing stupid shit to themselves, but when it becomes a matter of a skater killing an innocent party? its just bad all around, i really feel bad for the old lady.

... i wonder if he was on a long board or a short board.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Pub”