What is the American perception of the UK?

A place to rest your bones and lick your wounds after a hard day of riding. Cold beer, good jokes, and general off-topic banter are welcome here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

theosnw
Noob

Post by theosnw » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:47 pm

I like the U.S. and met some very interesting people from over the pond. I find the whole U.S. culture very interesting... You lot seem to complain.

Anyway, here's my input (some from experience, others from a mixture of unproven theory/explanation. Plus some factoids (bite-sized facts) that, again, may or may not be true)...

DISCLAIMER: The following post includes facts, opinions and assumptions based on verified historical data, personal accounts, T.V., Wikipedia, the Internet and books in general. No offence to any person, animal, race, colour (color), creed or deity is intended. God bless America. May Fish and Humans co-exist peacefully. Amen.

I'd also like to find out what your opinions are on us castle living, posh sounding, correctly speaking cousins.

As I've been told about the U.K....:

*The weather is shit.
*There's litter everywhere.
*Too many people living in such a small space(?)
*There's problems understanding the variety of accents.
*It's expensive.
*Service is terrible.
*Our roads have roundabouts!

At this point in time I've been writing this reply for nearly 2 hours. I'd like to say that it's because it's been carefully considered, but in reality it's because I've been watching Aliens and The Thin Red Line and I've also been drinking alcohol... (Maker's Mark, for extra bonus points).

I'm gonna power through the rest of my thoughts...

U.S. History in a nutshell:

English, amongst others, settled on the east coast.
Settlers were mainly the religiously persecuted and some adventure seekers.
Discovery, hardship, bravery and disease.
Thanksgiving.
Taxes.
No Political Representation.
War.
Independence.
Louisiana purchase.
Immigration.
Oppression.
Oppression again.
War.
More Oppression.
Cultural/Industrial/Economic Evolution.
War.
Consumerism.
World Police.

Words:

(U.K. definition)

Fanny = Vagina, pussy, minge, twat, cunt, clunge.

Fag = Cigarette

Knackered/Nackered = Tired, sleepy, overworked.

Bollocks = Testicles, balls, gonads.

Bang = Sexual intercourse, to Fuck (to have sex with), to Shag (not a rug or rolling tobacco).

[U]Quick reference bullet points of U.S.cultural exchanges:[/]

...I can't think of any apart from the Banjo and Bourbon whisky...

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:37 pm

sir seymour wrote:if you use the word while wearing a face like dot cotton licking piss off a nettle.

That's a proper British response. :)
[align=center]Trampa[/align]

[align=center]Allowing even fat blokes to ride since 2000...[/align]

Tom's 180's
Dirty

Post by Tom's 180's » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:27 pm

I think The Inbetweeners is honestly the most accurate depiction of British school life. Certainly more so than Skins!

In America, do they really have jocks, preps and nerds or is that a Hollywood thing? Mean Girls etc!!!

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:08 pm

theosnw wrote:
DISCLAIMER: The following post includes facts, opinions and assumptions based on verified historical data, personal accounts, T.V., Wikipedia, the Internet and books in general. No offence to any person, animal, race, colour (color), creed or deity is intended. God bless America. May Fish and Humans co-exist peacefully. Amen. .

I like the disclaimer.
Good US history, but you forgot a few wars

Ben wrote:you for got the Beatles and Churchill :P

Don't forget Peter Pan and Mary Poppins

Tom's 180's wrote:In America, do they really have jocks, preps and nerds or is that a Hollywood thing? Mean Girls etc!!!

Yes, when I was in school you also had the stoners/burn outs. Geeks are the new nerds though.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

pigryder

Post by pigryder » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm

I like this thread, def some good reading here...

An american asking a question to non americans...

are we fat?
"If you eat it they will always come back" - Uncle Doug

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Tom's 180's wrote:In America, do they really have jocks, preps and nerds or is that a Hollywood thing? Mean Girls etc!!!

Jimmy Chaos wrote:[Yes, when I was in school you also had the stoners/burn outs. Geeks are the new nerds though.

Oh yeah thanks to the jocks I learned to hate sports and was quickly transformed into a stoner/burn out.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 pm

pigryder wrote:I like this thread, def some good reading here...

are we fat?

i appologies if this comes off as being mean but its not just non americans who think this...
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity
science and statistics agree... at the same time, 'shame on britain' as well
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:24 am

That graph is pretty good as an obesity rate, but from stats I've seen including being overweight , the US is roughly 33% overweight and another 33% obese. With 2/3rd of the country over weight or obese I would have to say as an American, we are a nation of fat mf'ers

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:26 am

US needs to boycott plastic food and see the delights of grilled sardines and fish :) That's one thing I never understood quite well. US citizens have a per capita income a lot higher than e.g. in our little country and still insist in consuming fast food in a very regular basis, which supposedly is popular because being cheap. To me it's a little contradictory... shouldn't be the opposite. More income, better and healthier food access? My sincere apologies if I hurt some feelings on the other side of the pond. Not intended to.
- Enjoy the Ride -

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:11 am

I stay away from fast food except for the occasional pizza or subway sandwich,

Cost is actually the opposite, fast food is not cheap, it's just convenient, I can feed myself and my kids for at least half if not a third depending on what I prepare. So I guess a good percentage of Americans are fat and lazy.

But...... being as many house holds have two working parents or single parent who works more than one job, convenience out weighs everything else a lot.

[/SIZE][/color][/color]

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:37 am

Jimmy Chaos wrote:...Cost is actually the opposite, fast food is not cheap...

When I referred cheap I was comparing it against "regular" healthier food served in restaurants. I'm pretty sure the latter is more expensive than fast food. At least the few times I where in the US it felt like it.
That said, of course I agree that buying fresh vegetables, meat and fish at the local market or grocery and preparing it at home will considerably be cheaper than even a burger in the drive in or shopping mall. The same reality here.
- Enjoy the Ride -

Tom's 180's
Dirty

Post by Tom's 180's » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:46 pm

pigryder wrote:I like this thread, def some good reading here...

are we fat?

In Britain I think most people, myself included, would say that they like Americans. That is very different to saying they like America though. America, if you're talking about politics, is very much disliked. Thats why Felix was so hated! No hard feelings though eh? :p

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:01 pm

America is an amazing country, with amazing people, been lucky enough to go there 5 times. But the political situation sucks BIG balls, so does some of the more recent culture that's spilling over to here (such as fast food). I think America will regain some sense some point in the future.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Brennig wrote:America is an amazing country, with amazing people...

I'm still an outsider in all this thread but couldn't agree more. Without them we wouldn't even know about our beloved sport, snowboard, etc. Moreover, America possesses some of the most amazing landscapes there is, which means a lot to me being a passionate about fine art B&W traditional photography. Master Ansel Adams and the zone system says it all to name but a few.
- Enjoy the Ride -

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Ansel Adams is (was :( ) a beast.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Well I'll tell you what, I think you guys are awesome, a bit jealous of Brennig to be able to cross the pond 5X. I wish I could get over there and spending at least a month just traveling around meeting all you guys and hitting the centers and misc. freerides.

[/SIZE][/color][/color]

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47 am

If you base your opinion of the US on the nightly news, periodicals, "multi-national" conglomerates or our politicians; you have missed the boat.

We prize individual freedoms. Based on history alone, we are a nation of deeply ingrained dissidents. A fair number of us harbor contempt for politicians and government as a whole. To become a politician, you must be a professional liar.

Jocks, nerds, preps, rah-rahs (cheerleader stereotype), clique witches et. al. have been around at least since the 1950s. Jock, preps, cheerleaders and clique witches often become involved in politics (politicians and their sex "partners").

When you sit in front of the TV, Play-Station and computer for recreation, you are likely to become a fat-ass. Technology is as much to blame as fast food.

BTW the UK did give us The Holy Grail and Pink Floyd McC .
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:58 am

If you base your opinion of the US on the nightly news, periodicals, "multi-national" conglomerates or our politicians; you have missed the boat.

We prize individual freedoms. Based on history alone, we are a nation of deeply ingrained dissidents. A fair number of us harbor contempt for politicians and government as a whole. To become a politician, you must be a professional liar.

Jocks, nerds, preps, rah-rahs (cheerleader stereotype), clique witches et. al. have been around at least since the 1950s. Jocks, preps, cheerleaders and clique witches often become involved in politics (politicians and their sex "partners"). Stoners became more common in the 60s but have been around for quite some time too.

When you sit in front of the TV, Play-Station and computer for recreation, you are likely to become a fat-ass. Technology is as much to blame as fast food.

BTW the UK gave us The Holy Grail and Pink Floyd McC.

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:30 am

theosnw wrote:
U.S. History in a nutshell:

English, amongst others, settled on the east coast.
Settlers were mainly the religiously persecuted and some adventure seekers.
Discovery, hardship, bravery and disease.
Thanksgiving.
Taxes.
No Political Representation.
War.
Independence.
Louisiana purchase.
Immigration.
Oppression.
Oppression again.
War.
More Oppression.
Cultural/Industrial/Economic Evolution.
War.
Consumerism.
World Police....

Some American's (those that can even find England on a map) think it is funny that the children there point fingers at the US for being "oppressive".

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:49 am

The British were international drug dealers than hooked the Chinese on opium to steal their wealth. When will the reparation payments begin?

From some wiki site:

Growth of opium trade

Following the Battle of Plassey in 1757, in which Britain annexed Bengal to its empire, the British East India Company pursued a monopoly on production and export of Indian opium. Monopoly began in earnest in 1773, as the British Governor-General of Bengal abolished the opium syndicate at Patna. For the next fifty years opium trade would be the key to the East India Company's hold on the subcontinent.

Considering that importation of opium into China had been virtually banned by Chinese law, the East India Company established an elaborate trading scheme partially relying on legal markets, and partially leveraging illicit ones. British merchants carrying no opium would buy tea in Canton on credit, and would balance their debts by selling opium at auction in Calcutta. From there, the opium would reach the Chinese coast hidden aboard British ships then smuggled into China by native merchants. In 1797 the company further tightened its grip on the opium trade by enforcing direct trade between opium farmers and the British, and ending the role of Bengali purchasing agents. British exports of opium to China grew from an estimated 15 tons in 1730 to 75 tons in 1773. The product was shipped in over two thousand chests, each containing 140 pounds (64 kg) of opium.[15]

Meanwhile, negotiations with the Qianlong Emperor to ease the trading ban carried on, coming to a head in 1793 under Earl George Macartney. Such discussions were unsuccessful.[16]

In 1799, the Qing Empire reinstated their ban on opium imports. The Empire issued the following decree in 1810:

Opium has a harm. Opium is a poison, undermining our good customs and morality. Its use is prohibited by law. Now the commoner, Yang, dares to bring it into the Forbidden City. Indeed, he flouts the law! However, recently the purchasers, eaters, and consumers of opium have become numerous. Deceitful merchants buy and sell it to gain profit. The customs house at the Ch'ung-wen Gate was originally set up to supervise the collection of imports (it had no responsibility with regard to opium smuggling). If we confine our search for opium to the seaports, we fear the search will not be sufficiently thorough. We should also order the general commandant of the police and police- censors at the five gates to prohibit opium and to search for it at all gates. If they capture any violators, they should immediately punish them and should destroy the opium at once. As to Kwangtung and Fukien, the provinces from which opium comes, we order their viceroys, governors, and superintendents of the maritime customs to conduct a thorough search for opium, and cut off its supply. They should in no ways consider this order a dead letter and allow opium to be smuggled out![17]

The decree had little effect. The Qing government, seated in Beijing in the north of China, was unable to halt opium smuggling in the southern provinces. A porous Chinese border and rampant local demand only encouraged the all-too eager East India Company, which had its monopoly on opium trade recognised by the British government, which itself wanted silver. By the 1820s China was importing 900 tons of Bengali opium annually.[18]

Return to “Surfing Dirt Pub”