Riding Switch

Helpful "how to" tutorials by our members. Mountainboard maintance, mods, rider tutorials and more. If there isnt already a tutorial on a subject you would like to know more about feel free to request one here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

evilc

Post by evilc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:52 am

Yeah, Spud rides his board goofy but surfs regular. I don't get that.
(Work in Progress) Board buying guide

My Rides

Main:
TK Pro deck | F3 bindings | FX heelstraps | Rockstar Pro hubs | T1 tyres | Trampa Vertigo trucks w/ Titanium kingpins | Less Spring mod | Yellow Trampa Dampas | Stainless steel fixings upgrade

Spare / Loaner:
Trampa 16 ply 35 deg long deck | Talon II bindings | FX heelstraps | Manhick cast metal triskpoke wheels | Scrub Alu trucks | Green Trampa Dampas | ABS brake kit

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:16 am

They're all freaks.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

shotyrocks123
Noob

Post by shotyrocks123 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 am

I ride goofy ever since I started riding my dirt board, maybe that is why it is easier to ride switch? I still fall every so often riding switch but the first time I did it I knew it would take a little getting used to is all.
Gotta love Dirt Boarding.

theosnw
Noob

Post by theosnw » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Should I start to alternate riding switch then?

I'm a regular and new to the sport after learning to stay up what's the best next thing to learn?

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:23 pm

evilc

Post by evilc » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:39 am

theosnw wrote:Should I start to alternate riding switch then?

I'm a regular and new to the sport after learning to stay up what's the best next thing to learn?

If you are up for it, then I would say yes.
At some point you are going to end up going backwards so learning before it happens when you don't want it to is a good idea. It can be quite easy to go round 180 when putting in a powerslide, so you want to learn how to deal with it if it happens at speed. You want experience in doing 180s on the flat to/from switch - both jumping and "noserolling" (Pick back wheels up, let front ones catch and it spins you round 180 - can be done whilst going fast).

Also, if and when you come to learning jumps, probably one of the first things you are going to want to learn is 180s. Obviously one way or another you need to ride switch to do a 180 so prior experience would help here.
(Work in Progress) Board buying guide

My Rides

Main:
TK Pro deck | F3 bindings | FX heelstraps | Rockstar Pro hubs | T1 tyres | Trampa Vertigo trucks w/ Titanium kingpins | Less Spring mod | Yellow Trampa Dampas | Stainless steel fixings upgrade

Spare / Loaner:
Trampa 16 ply 35 deg long deck | Talon II bindings | FX heelstraps | Manhick cast metal triskpoke wheels | Scrub Alu trucks | Green Trampa Dampas | ABS brake kit

theosnw
Noob

Post by theosnw » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:04 pm

evilc wrote:...You want experience in doing 180s on the flat to/from switch - both jumping and "noserolling" (Pick back wheels up, let front ones catch and it spins you round 180 - can be done whilst going fast).

Also, if and when you come to learning jumps, probably one of the first things you are going to want to learn is 180s. Obviously one way or another you need to ride switch to do a 180 so prior experience would help here.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get on it...

Petridis999
Noob

Post by Petridis999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:46 pm

i can 180 easy, but almost every time i over or under rotate and fall on my face. any tips?

theosnw
Noob

Post by theosnw » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Your not 180ing then...

:)

TylerStartin

Post by TylerStartin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Petridis999 wrote:i can 180 easy, but almost every time i over or under rotate and fall on my face. any tips?

180-ing is all about core muscles. Unless you're a little guy you shouldn't have to throw your body momentum too much.

Just more of a motion that goes like... Switching the positions of your back foot and front foot. Just do them more, you'll fall but eventually you'll nail it.
leapb4ulook wrote:By the power vested in me by our heavenly administrator I hearby forgive you and absolve you of all your sins. Go in peace.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:47 am

My tip would be make sure you are rotating over the centre of the deck. When people first try 180's they often try to rotate over the front foot which means the rear leg has to do all the work of moving the whole board all the way round. If you jump up, and spin around the centre of the deck you can use both legs and your arms and body.

Return to “How-To Forums”