How to stretch before Mountainboarding

Helpful "how to" tutorials by our members. Mountainboard maintance, mods, rider tutorials and more. If there isnt already a tutorial on a subject you would like to know more about feel free to request one here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

DirtBlogger
Noob

How to stretch before Mountainboarding

Post by DirtBlogger » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:21 pm

[SIZE="6"]10 Mountainboarder Stretches that will improve your Ride[/SIZE]

Although you may think it unnecessary a ten minute stretch routine before mountainboarding can mean the difference between strong, relaxed, riding muscles, or sore, tight quads, and a sore back at the end of the day. So make sure to take a few minutes before you ride to stretch all the major muscle groups.

• Calves
• Gluteus Muscles
• Hamstrings
• Lower back
• Quadriceps

Things to remember when doing stretches:
• Try to avoid sudden jerky movements.
• Hold each stretch for 10-20 seconds and repeat each one several times.

[SIZE="4"]Recommended Mountainboarding Stretches:[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Hamstring Stretch[/SIZE]

The hamstring (back of your leg) can be very stiff after a day of riding, but if you take the time to stretch properly this discomfort can be avoided

How it is done: sit down with your legs straight out in front of you. Reach forward with your hands as far as is comfortable (touch your toes if you can) and hold the stretch. You will feel the stretch right behind your knees.

[SIZE="3"]Quad Stretch[/SIZE]

The quad stretch gets the large leg muscles that work so hard when you are out shredding the earth. It should be done while standing and using a chair or the wall for balance.

How it is done: Lift one leg behind you and grasp it with your hand. Pull the leg up toward your butt, keeping your knees even with each other. You will feel this stretch all the way through the top of your leg. Stretch one leg at a time, the switch.

[SIZE="3"]Hip Stretch[/SIZE]
This stretches the hip muscle on the front of your leg, right beneath your hip bone.

How it is done: Stand up and take a step back with one leg while bending the knee of the other leg. Keep the back leg straight, bend forward until you can feel the hip muscle stretch.

[SIZE="3"]Calf Stretch [/SIZE]

This is one of the most important stretches for mountainboarders. Your calf muscles (back of lower leg) can be very stiff after riding so be sure to stretch them out properly.

How it is done: Put your arms on the wall like you are about to be frisked. Place one leg forward and the other leg back. Shift your weight to the back leg and press against the wall until you feel the stretch in your calf. Switch legs and stretch again.

It is a good idea to stretch your calf muscles before and after you ride.

[SIZE="3"]Abdominal Stretch[/SIZE]

This stretch targets your abs (stomach) but also relaxes your lower back which can get very stiff from mountainboarding.

How it is done: Lie on the floor on your belly, with your hands besides you like you are about to do a push up. Keeping everything relaxed, press up with just your arms. In yoga this stretch is known as the “cobra”.

[SIZE="3"]Hamstring Stretch[/SIZE]

This stretch targets the muscles in the back of your legs.

How it is done: While seated with your feet together , reach down and grab your ankles or toes. Hold the position once the stretch is felt in the back of the thigh. Make sure you keep your knees straight.

[SIZE="3"]Hip Stretch[/SIZE]

How it is done: While seated, bend one leg and across it over the opposite leg- the outside of your foot will be next to the outside of the opposite knee. Twist your trunk towards the knee, placing your elbow on the outside of the knee. Push on the outside of the knee until you feel a stretch.
[SIZE="3"]
Chest Stretch[/SIZE]

How it is done: While standing in a door way, or at the edge of a wall, place your forearm against the wall, with your elbow away from your side. Then step through door way or past wall with leg on the same side. Feel stretch across the front of your chest. Hold 30 seconds. Repeat on the other side.

[SIZE="3"]Shoulder Stretch[/SIZE]

How it is done: Clasp your hands behind your back and slowly lift them up until you feel a stretch in your shoulders. Make sure you keep your upper body straight. Do not lean forward.

[SIZE="3"]Wall Rotation Stretch[/SIZE]

How it is done: While standing with your back to the wall, positioning yourself about a foot or so away. Keeping your abdominals contracted and maintaining perfect posture, slowly rotate to your right while reaching your left hand across your body to touch the wall. Hold for two or three seconds. Repeat to the other side. Complete 8 to 15 reps on each side.

Mountainboarding can increase muscular strength, flexibility and overall endurance. It can be a rough work out, particularly on your calves, butt muscles, hamstrings, shoulders, arms and quadriceps. It also exercises the abdominal muscles. It can help improve your balance, coordination, and agility. But can also be hard on the body, so remember to warm up and stretch before riding, wear the appropriate protective gear, know your limits, and have fun out there on the hill.

hank
Noob

Post by hank » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:56 pm

Nice work, Dirtblogger! You're the man...

OchoCinco

Post by OchoCinco » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:37 am

I have seen Dirtstar stretch as a group before. They got that stuff figured out!

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:06 am

I wonder what other things the Dirtstars do as a group?
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:13 am

Even though I wasnt planning on riding today I decided to try out some of these stretches, I only made it halfway through the routine was already doing this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8potzfl9Qg4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8potzfl9Qg4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:43 pm

hey I was about to post about streches. I can't touch my toes without bending my knees. In fact I can't touch my knees without bending my knees :( I really need to improve on this it puts cramp on my powerslides!

Josh
Slightly dirty

Post by Josh » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:56 pm

I cant touch my toes either i am nearly 30cm away from touching them.
Will definately try out the stretches.
Thanks dirt blogger

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:01 pm

woohoo thought i was alone!

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:02 pm

If it makes anyone feel any better I have never been able to touch my toes, even as a kid. I think my problem is more of a spine issue than being too tense, but I definately would like to incorperate these stretches into my ride routine, atleast to the best of my ability.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:14 pm

lol i cant and im 15

doned
Dirty

Post by doned » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:23 pm

yeah..you`re the man. Its a fact, always doing this when wakeboarding in November

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Am I the only one that thinks that the vitruvian man in the first post should be wearing Hillbilly buttpads instead of boxers?

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:15 pm

BryceAZ

Post by BryceAZ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:33 pm

It would add a touch of class to this thread for sure.

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:22 pm

If it wasn't for T'ai Chi and Karate warm-ups and stretches, I wouldn't be doing many things. :D

Stretching helps cut down on injuries too. :)

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Paintbrush is as "High Tech" as I go, and there is a lot more "high" than "tech" going on here.

Jhammo52

Post by Jhammo52 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:35 pm

can't touch your toes? seriously?

the only pre-ride stretch I do is stand on board, bend over and place palms on the ground.

Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:35 pm

I can touch my toes and the ground.. was surprised the beer gut doesnt get in the way...

Josh
Slightly dirty

Post by Josh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:07 am

Jasper wrote:lol i cant and im 15

Well i am only 14
I think i touched them once when i was 7 haha

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:42 am

I can see my toes...does that count?

Return to “How-To Forums”