How to replace your top trucks... By Dom Etchells

Helpful "how to" tutorials by our members. Mountainboard maintance, mods, rider tutorials and more. If there isnt already a tutorial on a subject you would like to know more about feel free to request one here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

etchy6

Post by etchy6 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:56 am

So after searching high and low and not finding a tutorial on replacing your top trucks

i've decided to make one...

1. Loosen off your egg shocks as loose as they will go and remove them. (you may find it easier to remove the whole pin)

2. remove your truck. DO NOT take one bolt out at a time, do them in quarters or the nut will raw the plastic and you will really struggle to get them back on.

3. if you have not already done so, remove the tension springs.

4. remove the pivot axel and bearings from your top truck. once you have done this your top truck will slide off.

etchy6

Post by etchy6 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:56 am

5. slide your new top truck on and re attatch the axel and bearings.

6. re attatch your trucks, again doing each bolt in quarters being gentle not to raw the plastic of the top truck.

7. put your springs and egg shocks back in, once they are in you can re-attatch your tension bolts and tighten them.

8. Enjoy the looks and show off your new trucks to your mates.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:24 pm

Sweet, good job etchy, I put it on the homepage to maybe catch some pedestrians passing by

http://www.surfingdirt.com
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

etchy6

Post by etchy6 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:26 pm

McCarver wrote:Sweet, good job etchy, its also on the homepage to maybe catch some pedestrians passing by

http://www.surfingdirt.com

Rad man!

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:22 am

Top Tip :)
Before you put your new top hangers on, put them in the freezer for about 45 mins. This hardens the plastic and causes them to grip the nuts better as you screw in the bolts, and stops the nuts slipping.

Nice post Dom
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:22 pm

not to shit on your post etch, as its excellent but if you could add any tips hints you have as to how to get the springs and the eggs back in as thats what my mate had real trouble with when he changed his hanger and i cant remember how we did it but some tip from the guy at bugs made it do-able

etchy6

Post by etchy6 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:32 pm

yeah it is reallt quite hard to do... when I change my other top trucks on my comp 95 I will do a seperate one on how to change egg shocks.

:)

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Jasper wrote:not to shit on your post etch, as its excellent but if you could add any tips hints you have as to how to get the springs and the eggs back in as thats what my mate had real trouble with when he changed his hanger and i cant remember how we did it but some tip from the guy at bugs made it do-able

How to change eggshocks on Matrix trucks
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:10 pm

lol thats all well and good with MBS yolks but decent ones like trampas are at least 40 ft longer (give or take a bit :D ) I find shoving it all together then pushing the pin in from the outside till it nearly touches the other inside of the hanger then sitting on the deck and giving it a good hard tap sorts it. Catch the nut on the bolt and tighten it to pull it together. Then leave it alone till you next want loads of grief.
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

stlmtboarder

Post by stlmtboarder » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:18 pm

[quote="Mutley"]Top Tip :)
causes them to grip the nuts better

/QUOTE]

nothings better than extra grippy nuts! :p

ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:40 am

I was going to do a how-to guide myself on changing eggs/dampas but looks like someone will beat me to it! Obviously, there are many ways to do it - I do it at home using a G-clamp to compress the first spring/dampa down, then simply slide the second set into place.
Other methods that I have seen range between brute force with a couple of mates, and an ingenious method using a park bench :D
I'd say the key points are to use an allen key down the top hole to ensure everythings lined up, and to heed the warning in step 3 given by MBS: My mate Simon forgot to insert the tophat washer and the top screw completely ripped the metal thread from the top hat. No spare tophat = no more riding that day.

Return to “How-To Forums”