Total votes: 68

Brewers12
Noob

brake or no brake

Post by Brewers12 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Do u ride with breaks or without

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Its brake, and mostly from what Ive read so far you pretty much need brakes if you are riding mountains big hills and bike trails like downhilling and freeriding.

But i think freestylers and big airers they dont use brakes im pretty sure mostly because its expensive but also because it weighs more and could probably get in the way.

As for kiting and boarder X im not sure.

TylerStartin

Post by TylerStartin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Kiting doesn't use em... Freestylers like meself don't use em, and it's a long drawn out battle whether to ban breaks from BX racers or not.
leapb4ulook wrote:By the power vested in me by our heavenly administrator I hearby forgive you and absolve you of all your sins. Go in peace.

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 am

Because of my age, I do take the odd break; have a sit down, maybe a drink;)
Bring on the night!

facebook.com/thatlooksdangerous

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:00 am

check out the vids in this post, show the difference pretty well: http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2472&highlight=downhill
by no means do you have to have breaks for big mountain riding, with a bit of luck and learnin you can concour alot of things. using breaks shouldn't be done because you can't get down the terrain infront of you but because you like the ride a break board gives you. its almost a completely different ride, more cruise, higher speeds, and belive it or not less breaking. but the feeling you get from riding breakless compitently is more like snowboarding than how break boards feel like mountainbiking. there just more freedom with the board.

but why limit yourselfs, ride both. just means getting a third truck fitted with a unit and break wheels. the best feeling is hitting a track breakless that you bombed on a breakboard the week before and riding it out clean:)

jondextan
Slightly dirty

Post by jondextan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:31 am

brakes in front or in the rear?

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 am

front when riding regular, rear when riding switch.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

HumboldtRc
Slightly dirty

Post by HumboldtRc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:58 pm

4wd electric breaks!!! That's my style, because I can bomb back up the hill or trail I just went down!

pigryder

Post by pigryder » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:51 pm

I gotta say although we haven't been riding long my boy and I bought the MBS brake kit and it worked pretty good but there was a huge downside for us... It made us forget all about power sliding and really hindered the upper body movements because of holding the brake handle. I think it made us lazy and I was always telling him to stay off the brake don't reply on it. It was nice for bombing dirt roads but I would rather ride that same hill brakeless and have huge stoke :D
"If you eat it they will always come back" - Uncle Doug

buggley

Post by buggley » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:00 am

brakes suck a ride should be able to handle the hill with out them or get better. say what you want but i hit some awesome steep doown hill street that is as long as it is steep and dont use a break. i also hit trails with out a break. if i cant do it with out bailing i learn to bail less then slowly not to bail at all
"from now on the only one im pimpin is sweet lady propane and im trick n her out all over this town" hank hill

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:41 pm

buggley wrote:brakes suck a ride should be able to handle the hill with out them or get better. say what you want but i hit some awesome steep doown hill street that is as long as it is steep and dont use a break. i also hit trails with out a break. if i cant do it with out bailing i learn to bail less then slowly not to bail at all

Good for you, however still an ill-informed opinion from someone who has not learnt the advantages of riding a brake board in certain situations.

You can ride tight, cambered, steep, technical trails at far greater speed with a brake where you wouldn't physically have the space to shave off speed without brakes, or where the hill is so steep that sliding becomes ineffective. A day of riding the mountainbike tracks in tignes without brakes would be as much fun as a bad day in baghdad.

Brakes also make hectic runs into a nice evening blast for those of us who have to go and earn some money the next day.

There are many situations where brakes aren't appropriate and will hinder your riding, especially while learning, but if you're against the use of brakes because you're just too gnarly, you've not found the right trails yet.

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:58 pm

sir seymour wrote: if you're against the use of brakes because you're just too gnarly, you've not found the right trails yet.

Amen!
Bring on the night!

facebook.com/thatlooksdangerous

Ian@KentATB

Post by Ian@KentATB » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:50 pm

You don't have a option in that poll for both.
[align=center][font=Impact]www.kentatb.com

[font=Courier New][color=DarkGreen][size=134]Freeriding - it's a monk's life
[/font][/SIZE][/color][/font][/align]

BDirthead
Experienced

Post by BDirthead » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:00 pm

I rode with brakes this Saturday and had a blast. Tried out a new board and the brake system worked great. I hit some difficult lines with no problem at all. Now there are many times that I don't ride brakes (for example tomorrow). At bmx tracks and skateparks, I leave the brake board at home. But long fire roads or steep single tracks, I will choose a board with a decent brake system.

Buffalo
Noob

Post by Buffalo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Hey BDirthead- What kind of brake system is that?

Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie

Post by Wyoming Adrenaline Junkie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:53 pm

BDirthead wrote:I rode with brakes this Saturday and had a blast. Tried out a new board and the brake system worked great. I hit some difficult lines with no problem at all. Now there are many times that I don't ride brakes (for example tomorrow). At bmx tracks and skateparks, I leave the brake board at home. But long fire roads or steep single tracks, I will choose a board with a decent brake system.

yeah what brakes are those, and is that a rear brake? which is better front or rear??

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:13 am

front, always front, if its on the back it just locks up and slides
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

buggley

Post by buggley » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:59 am

sir seymour wrote:Good for you, however still an ill-informed opinion from someone who has not learnt the advantages of riding a brake board in certain situations.

You can ride tight, cambered, steep, technical trails at far greater speed with a brake where you wouldn't physically have the space to shave off speed without brakes, or where the hill is so steep that sliding becomes ineffective. A day of riding the mountainbike tracks in tignes without brakes would be as much fun as a bad day in baghdad.

Brakes also make hectic runs into a nice evening blast for those of us who have to go and earn some money the next day.

There are many situations where brakes aren't appropriate and will hinder your riding, especially while learning, but if you're against the use of brakes because you're just too gnarly, you've not found the right trails yet.

i am getting a vid camera for W.M.D. i will get pictures and vids of of the trails they are all single track no room for error cause it is either thorns or trees and as far as sliding steep, yes some with drops over 20' and rocks, sludge roots and ankle breaking clump grass. im not that gnarly or skilled but when you come to the W.V. ride in october i will take you and your brakes to trails that will be more than a testy for you brake. i have found gloves work far better than any brake even on slick asphalt. i rode with brakes fo a while took them off then a year or two ago went back them. gloves are much better
"from now on the only one im pimpin is sweet lady propane and im trick n her out all over this town" hank hill

BDirthead
Experienced

Post by BDirthead » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:13 am

Don't know the type of brakes system on my new board, but I bought it complete off of E-Bay ($199 US). I run my brakes in the back. I prefer to slide the tail around on steep single track lines. These brakes worked 100% better than my old MBS set-ups. Having brake pads compressing against both sides of the disk, means alot more braking power. I was able to completely lock up the rear wheels, and have never been able to do that with the old reverse V-brake systems. Now I'm sure these aren't as good as Hydraulic systems, but the price was right. I've just used them twice, so we'll have to see how durable they are. So far I LOVE them.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 am

Them's the Munros :)
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”