Street Sledding

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Street Sledding

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:26 am

I met these guys at a Journeys exhibition at a mall. They are the typical over ethusiastic product developers but I like their street sled. The inventor was a jet fighter engineer.

http://brushfireindustries.com/

The first I thought of was, "How could I ride it standing up"? There is a way.

They have a YouTube channel at - http://www.youtube.com/brushfireindustries

It works on a basic fixed truck connected to a vertical pivot. You drift to control speed and power slide to stop. The wheel base is varied through a telescopic tube that runs from the truck (at the pivot point) to the deck allowing the wheel base to be shortened to drift in turns and lengthened in the straightaways for speed and stability. There are four wheels in back.

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:27 am

If you ride it standing up wouldnt it be a snake board basically?
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:34 am

McCarver wrote:If you ride it standing up wouldnt it be a snake board basically?
It would be if the back truck didn't piviot and the wheel base was telescopic. It would be an interesting board to ride.

Snakeboards (and streetboards) are twichey. They can maintain high speeds but one little twist of the foot can sending you skidding or face planting. I think even a standard speedboard could benefit from being able to change the wheel base to control stablility.

buggley

Post by buggley » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:05 pm

heck ya! i just emailed them to see if i could get one in exchange for lots of video footage. i would so ride that
"from now on the only one im pimpin is sweet lady propane and im trick n her out all over this town" hank hill

Travis
Old timer

Post by Travis » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 am

The first person vid looks cool, but the car park one, where you see he has to keep his legs held up, just looks awkward.
noTramp brake-boarder and proud!

BrushfireIndustries

Post by BrushfireIndustries » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:58 am

Grips to ride standing up are a current R&D project though as Felix said, the steering mechanism is super touchy and is the issue R&D is trying to work through. I wouldn't count on it anytime soon...

Buggley, I wish we could send one to you but we only have a handful of prototypes right now. The best way to get one right now is to go to http://www.indiegogo.com/xledtour where you can pre order a Cruiser Model for $200 (est delivery in 3-6 mnths) or get a prototype in August for as low as $500. The prototypes are fully functioning and are identical to "the Dyrdek xled" though you can get a custom paint job. As prototypes, they are "over engineered" (I ran over one with my Ford Exploder and didn't bend the frame a millimeter or crack the fiberglass) and are made of full steel and fiberglass so are heavy, but as we all know, that means faster! :cool:

P.S. It has 8 wheels in the back and 6 in the front. I've ran over speed bumps, 1" thick sticks, and 1/2" dead rises with nothing more than a little bump. The leg "akwardness" is the last thing on your mind while riding. I use my legs to push the wings for balance and agility and usually keep them up to increase visibility.

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:31 am

BrushfireIndustries wrote:Grips to ride standing up are a current R&D project though as Felix said, the steering mechanism is super touchy and is the issue R&D is trying to work through. I wouldn't count on it anytime soon....

Bungee cords are excellent stabalizers and easy to tension, seems to me if you attached 2 or 3 per side going Back to the short position on the telescopic tube you be able to get the twitchyness out of it. Even if you didn't fix it completely, its a good cheap way to start.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

McCarver
Gringo

Post by McCarver » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:50 am

looks like a lot of fun actually but no way would I do it without some pretty awesome elbow pads.
Like us on facebook for even more Mountainboardy Goodness https://www.facebook.com/surfingdirt

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:25 pm

BrushfireIndustries wrote:Grips to ride standing up are a current R&D project though as Felix said, the steering mechanism is super touchy and is the issue R&D is trying to work through. I wouldn't count on it anytime soon...

Well, that is, unless someone else makes one.

I wouldn't modify your board to make a stand up version. I would make a completely new board using the variable wheel base method you devised. The worst thing an inventor can do is to try to make an existing product conform to a different set of requirements. That's what gave up the off-road skateboard, the motorized skateboard, the current downhill speed skateboard (why do they still use skate trucks?) and those early airplanes that flapped their wings.

It would be an interesting experiment to make a stand-up, variable wheel base skateboard but is it really needed and would it do anything better than a standard skate board. I think it might.

The attributes of your board that best transfer to skateboarding are the front pivot truck, the low center-of-gravity and the variable wheel base. I could see these attributes most applicable to downhill speed skateboarding.

I could see a variable wheel base speed board with a fixed axle on a front pivoting truck.

Speed boards rely on drifting to control speed in turns. They reply on the length and low CG for stability at speed. Fixed axles would eliminate speed wobbles. The variable wheel base would provide stability at speed.

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Jimmy Chaos wrote:Bungee cords are excellent stabalizers and easy to tension,

I agree. The Gnarboard hydraulics would work the same way. The problem is that the street sled has to provide steering resistance within the area of the pivot to the front trucks. A cam or even a rack and pinon would be more compact.

OchoCinco

Post by OchoCinco » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 am

http://youtu.be/isUGCum1aRI
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/isUGCum1aRI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pnut
Noob

Post by Pnut » Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Looks like you would have to spend a lot of effort on pads

DrSkaCtopus
Noob

Post by DrSkaCtopus » Fri May 10, 2013 4:03 pm

So, it's a cross between a casterboard and a skeleton sled?

Return to “The Shed”