Whinlatter

Post, review and find ride spots in your area.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Nick
Noob

Whinlatter

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:02 pm

I'm planning a trip to Whinlatter on Monday but I'll only be there for a few hours so wont have as much time to explore as I'd like, I'm wanting to try out the comp track but I'm unsure where it is.

Please could somebody point me in the right direction?

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:07 pm

It's somewhere round about here
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:53 am

Yeah - walk to the end of the car park and down the path with the bungalow next to it (as opposed to the paths leading up into the touristy/bike area).

Then take the second firetrack on your left and follow it - the finish line was around the first hairpin corner. Follow that path through the trees and it will narrow and join up with another firetrack which is exposed and you get a great view.

Keep following it and take your next right at the hairpin and keep walking up until it flattens out (its about a mile in total but feels like 3).

Alternatively blag a lift with a Forest Ranger and ask them to take you to the mountainboard track near Kings Seat...lol. Or watch one of the comp vids backwards...

Nick
Noob

Post by Nick » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:52 am

Thanks for the info guys, now I just need to get my ABS fitted and I'm all set.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:21 am

hey nick are you coming for the 'whinlatter weekend' trip ?
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

Nick
Noob

Post by Nick » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:11 am

Unfortunately not, I may well be up for it next year if it's still on.

There's no way I could keep up with you guys at the moment, I only bought my deck a few months ago and don't really get as much time to ride as I'd like.

I'm hoping this time next year I'll be up to a good enough standard to ride with more experienced riders but for now I know my place.

Thanks for the invite though, if that was an invite :confused:

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:38 am

Nick wrote:Unfortunately not, I may well be up for it next year if it's still on.

There's no way I could keep up with you guys at the moment, I only bought my deck a few months ago and don't really get as much time to ride as I'd like.

I'm hoping this time next year I'll be up to a good enough standard to ride with more experienced riders but for now I know my place.

Thanks for the invite though, if that was an invite :confused:

Best way to learn is to ride with other people, after 2-3 runs you'll be a freeride god.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 am

Brennigs right, you progress a lot faster if you get the right advice and you have an example to copy. We've had new riders join us before at whinlatter. No body will rush you or judge what you do ( unless you ask ) you don't have to ride a whole run, you can ride just the bottom or the middle. You don't have to ride any bit you don't like the look of.

All in all its just an awesome week end with a chance to meet up with a bunch of mountainboarders of differing ability and enjoy your hobby.
leapb4ulook wrote:...... you're a freerider at heart, you've just been infected with freestyle.

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:46 am

Yeah - if you can make it you should definitely come; you might be surprised at how well you can keep up - especially as you have a good brake.

My first downhill/freeride was Whinlatter a few years ago and I had no brake or riding skills (arguably still don't...) but had a great time.

Return to “Ride Spots”