Detroit

Post, review and find ride spots in your area.

Moderator: BgSurfer

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Detroit

Post by markbrosnan78 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:47 am

Anyone live nearby or know of any place you can try mountain boarding somewhere near?

Someone was asking on Silverfish. Wants to give it a go but can't afford to spend out the cash before giving it a go.

I know you guys in the States don't have centres like we do in the UK but is there anything similar in the US?

Thanks.
[align=center]Trampa[/align]

[align=center]Allowing even fat blokes to ride since 2000...[/align]

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:29 am

I don't think there is anyone on here from Michigan, if this person ever makes it to ohio, they can get a hold of me.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 am

Cheers Jimmy I will pass that on. I am still surprised how small your mountain boarding community is in the states especially with the recent large rise in the number of people longboarding. I am doing my best to convert them one at a time.

Jimmy Chaos
Seen it all

Post by Jimmy Chaos » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:30 am

I thought for a while that we should try to piggyback street events with longboarders, the Argentina Snake Skeleton race just brought it back to the forefront. I was going to post something on the main forum but haven't yet.
I know there are a lot of people who enjoy hitting the tarmac, myself included that would love to race down a long snakey road...... besides being fun, it might be good exposure for an all terrain board.
.............:D................
" Blatant Self Promotion "

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Habitual Suicide[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][color="black"][font="Comic Sans MS"]-Mountainboarding T's-[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"][color="Blue"][SIZE="1"]
"Wear a helmet, don't drown in your own puke"
[/SIZE][/color][/color]

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:54 am

I'd love to do more road runs but it's too flat around here and UK roads are too dangerous so it would have to be a closed road thing or out Brennigs way.

My daily ride is now the longboard. I'm surprised that there isn't more of a cross over as we'll. I guess because you can longboard pretty much anywhere any time of the year that it never occurs to most longboarders to go off road.

The good thing is my general board skills have massively increased. As I can now slide a longboard I should be able to do a lot more on the ATB. I'm going to have to get back out on it before the winter weather arrives.

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:33 pm

markbrosnan78 wrote:... and UK roads are too dangerous...

Yeah know the feeling. I think it's even worse around here. The Latin side takes over and everyone thinks they are some kind of Schumaker or the like. When I see those American clips where guys go downhill on a board on a open road, reaching considerable speed, it automatically comes to mind... try this here and you'll be squashed in a heart beat. Even riding on bikes takes some guts and extreme care. Can't foresee going on a board.
- Enjoy the Ride -

markbrosnan78
Dirty

Post by markbrosnan78 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Yeah. I've only ever ridden the mountain board on the road a few times and on a back street hill. Still had to have your wits about you then.

I only rude the longboard on the local roads on my 5am commuter run when it's fairly quiet. Even then I ride against the traffic and jump up onto the pavement when something comes against me.

Ironically it's actually better to ride in London as you have bus lanes that keep you away from most of the traffic. Still need to be very alert and there are always idiots about.

I see all these videos on YouTube of wide empty super smooth roads in the States and Australia and all I can do is dream. I'd love to give those roads and hills a good session on both types of boards.

Return to “Ride Spots”