frankenboarding

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 am

Tornado wrote:What brake setup is this?

It is the Alpine Braking System, and it is good!
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:28 pm

Anyone else planning to build a nompa or something else

i have a 15ply trampa short that i bought for all the other stuff that came with it. decks to squidgy for my extreme mass. have thought about epoxying underneath with the carbon kite struts as stringers that was mentioned on here at one time, but not sure if they wouldn't just release with flex.epoxy really needs a pourus surface to grip into and i imagine trampa board is anything but that. so long and short is i may well nomp it. but i still have the problem of over flex. did try flip trucking it and extending the stance 4cm but just got chronic wheel bite that murdered my pinky toe when landing.

i'm also (don't tell felix or he'll sue me :P) having a go at a board that is low to the ground, or mountain-schlongboard. so far i've repaired a skate deck i found in a skip and reshaped the dings and delams with epoxy grout. next week i fiberglass and experiment with a flooring technique for the grip tape. if anyones got a spare mbs big skate truck they wana sell then give i a pm :)

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:37 pm

I've been wanting to make a stringer too, I wanted to make a super light but stiff deck and a stringer is one of the best ways to do that. I can't imagine epoxy working (as you've pointed out), maybe epoxy it on, fiberglass the whole thing, and add some bolts just incase but even that probably won't work. I have a few off cuts so I could experiment with epoxy, maybe even putting fibreglass between the two trampa pieces might work. A fibreglass - trampa bond might be stronger than a trampa - trampa one. Trampa do sell 'flex bridges', which are basically mini stringers that you bolt on to stiffen things up.

What will the shlongboard be for? Cruising? Sounds good either way.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Trampa do sell 'flex bridges
didn't know that, might be the awnser to all my problems. will look into that.

any test you do really needs to be a meter long with the equivelent force a big landing would put on a deck. so really best test is just build it and r&d. but i know allready from a flite lite i stiffened that the epoxy needs to penetrate the core to do any good.

the schlongboard will just be for fmucking about really, see what it can do. lower to the ground with smaller profile wheels means better skateability. and gonna try sldie wheels on there as i still think thats a crossover niche we haven't quite explored yet. (apart from akonis gi slide wheels). basically a fun comuting board that can also be jib'd. might be crap but 4 wheeled inovation and infiltration is the only way we'll ever see the end of micro skooters and roller bladers in civolised society.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:17 pm

I have little 10x5 cm pieces so I'm just going to epoxy them and whack them with a mallet until something gives. Looking forward to seeing the schlongboard though, I like the idea of commuter boards.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

My Frankenboard

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Okay, most everyone knows who I am now so maybe it is safe to post my frankenboard now.
Attachments
007.jpg
003.jpg
002.jpg
001.jpg

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm

The deck is 8" wide and 29" long and was custom designed and fabricated. The trucks are from a Carveboard Carvestick. The 12" long through axle is a part I had machined to add strength to the truck after breaking 6 axle bolts and the lower truck once. The wedges are from Carveboard and I added MBS the eggs.

The wheel are ABEC 11 90mm 82a. The bindings are MBS with brackets and straps rearranged to allow for the widest stance possible.

I have been riding this broad three days a week (minimum) at my local skatepark for four years.

Felix_the_Gat
Dirty

Post by Felix_the_Gat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Felix_the_Gat wrote:Image

Put some buttery slide wheels on that thing and it would be crazy good :D
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:14 am

second stage of the frankenschlong - covering with 2 sheets of builders frp carbon and polyester resin i skankt from work. the guest room now stinks so bad of resin that it might just mean the inlaws have to stay at a hotel when they visit in november:D, but first inspection looks hopefull. gotta grind off the excess now and then look at the sand and epoxy grip layer for the top. still after an old mountainboard skate truck if anyones got one laying about. none over here in nz.

Kiwy
Dirty

Post by Kiwy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:35 am

And i thought my friend who made copper ingots in his apartment living room where he also placed a car(on the 5th floor), topped it. But no you had to make a carbon board on a bed.complete with fluffy pillows.

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:24 am

What weight and weave is your carbon cloth belac? Looks like it drapes over the rails nicely. My 6-oz plain weave didn't drape that well.

I have an old set of MBS AT Skate trucks lying around somewhere. They need new liner cups though. I suspect shipping would be pretty steep.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:01 pm

the bedroom is where all my best creativity happens;)

on the carbon specs to be honest i'm not sure. its a sample roll we had hanging around from a job we were doing where you fully layer and anchor mashed up walls destroyed that were nearly had by the earthquake. its very heavy duty and isn't a smooth finish, more it feels like snake skin. i quite like thus as it differs from the norm but you cn still slide it. have also thought about embedding a final layer of hemp hessian as the surface with the airstrips logo on it. the carbon is uni weave and designed to have torsional/latrel flex in quakes up to a 9, so i think that might transfer over to heavy landings fat by fat blokes quite well, but i have slightly redirected both layers so there is a bit of added strength. and the draping seems to have worked really well, thought it might be a waste of time without a bag, but if it works on a fiberglass roof why not a skate board. will just have to see once i shape it and get to the edges, if they pull away or delam i might have to try something different.

as for the trucks, i've always just wraped stuff, chucked the cheapest stamps i've got on the package and just sent it with a hazey discription of what it is. only time i got stung was sending a 200kg rug back to my mum from mexico, cost me a fortune! but every other time it wasn't much more than local postage, just takes a wekk longer.

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:38 am

I'll look for my AT skate trucks.
Do you want me to price mailing to Z-land?
If so, I need a mailing destination for cost etsimates.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Felix_the_Gat wrote:Okay, most everyone knows who I am now so maybe it is safe to post my frankenboard now.

Ah, thought i could smell arsehole.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:45 pm

pm'd you address :)

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:35 am

Got it.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:35 pm

frankengriping:

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:07 pm

What did you use for grip grit? Adhesive?
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:44 am

the type of sand you'd find on the edge of swimming pool flooring. and the adhiesive is just more of the polyester resin i used for the carbon coating, so in fact the grip becomes another stiffaning/strengthening layer to the deck. think this is the way mountainboard decks should go, impregnated grip that doubles as stomp pads, means you can create virtual concave and gaspedals without risking having a deck shape that will snap under stress. basically these were all leftovers from a flooring job we did ages ago and i've had my eye on, has worked really well and given me a few plans for rainy days. next idea is to strip back one of the old mbs decks i've got and carbon that up. not enough hours in the day at the moment tho.

Return to “The Shed”