Few new spots

Post, review and find ride spots in your area.

Moderator: BgSurfer

Brennig

Few new spots

Post by Brennig » Sat May 12, 2012 11:31 am

Spent a few hours today exploring a few potential tracks and the sort. The first track I went to was one I've been eyeing up for a long time, it looked good on the OS map and the best thing was there's a road going straight up along side it so you can walk straight upwards before riding down a windy track saving lots of time with awesome potential for an uplift. You can see on the areal shot that it's right by the main road with the side road leading straight to the top. The track was a bit steep and pretty quick, it's mostly fine slate and the track as a whole isn't wide enough for scrubbing. Some awesome hairpins though, might return to hit it with brakes.

After that I headed over to Craig y Deryn (that big whoop as rock) to have a look. Craig y Deryn means Bird's rock in Welsh, the sea used to come up to it's face, even though it's now over 3 miles away, sea birds still nest on it, it's also a mine, had a fort on top and is used a lot for rock climbing. There's a cool singletrack going up half way then the rest is steepish grassy slope with lots of rocks to dodge around. Amazing views all around which is always a bonus. Looks ridable, a bit steep in sections, but there's also LOADS a big steep sweeping fields behind it that need to be carved up like a turkey on Christmas. I also spotted an awesome looking farm track over the other side of the valley that looks like a gold mine. Not bad for a few hours, I'm going up Cader Idris (a big mountain nearby) so I might scout a few more places on the way to the top.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Sat May 12, 2012 4:24 pm

Looks pretty awesome! We definitely need to do some riding up near you.

GoofyMark

Post by GoofyMark » Sun May 13, 2012 1:35 am

Mmmmmmmm, Wales is like a freeriding whore and Brennig is her pimp;-)

Do you have grid refs or similar so I can find those on a map myself?
Bring on the night!

facebook.com/thatlooksdangerous

hens162

Post by hens162 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:08 am

wales is like a mountain boarders heaven sweet!!
[font="Impact"]:cool:[/font]

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sun May 13, 2012 9:07 am

Both are around Abergynolwyn, my 'local' area is between Dolgellau and Aberystwyth.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

MarcATB
Dirty

Post by MarcATB » Sun May 13, 2012 9:20 am

5th photo looks tempting...
Visit Serbia and experience best boarder cross on planet

buggley

Post by buggley » Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm

one day when i dig my testies out of her purse i will make it out there to ride for a month
"from now on the only one im pimpin is sweet lady propane and im trick n her out all over this town" hank hill

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:27 am

Little update. Rode some of Bird rock the other day, awesome. Couldn't do it all because it was icy and the ground was rock solid, mole hills turned into tank traps and I didn't have my brakes for the track at the bottom. Yet it was still awesome.

Other news, I've been eyeing up this slope on Cadair Idris for a while now, according to my OS map it is a grass slope over 600 meters high and some 50% gradient. Looks like the craziest carving hill in the UK, like a slope out of the Art of Flight but made of grass instead of snow. It's difficult to get to, about a one and half hour hike up 700 meters with a mountain board. So I looked on this picture OS map website first and to my amazement, it seems to be exactly that. The problem with mountains is that they're usually covered in unrideable long grass and moss. The pictures aren't great but they are good enough. You can't seem the bottom, but it just goes on and on, just one huge slope.

Nice.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:35 am

that is insane/awesome. but surely you couldnt do much on that kind of gradient. you would constantly be leaning into the slope so only two wheel get grip and you would just slide down until you got some grip and then you would probably start doing flips down the hill...to your death probably. for the love of god dont try that without someone with you lol
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:38 am

found whats at the bottom. a LAKE :P

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:39 am

found whats at the bottom. a LAKE :P

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:15 am

Llyn Cau, the slope is behind the person who took the pic. Awesome scramble from the lake to the peak though. I could always ride the ridge, but the slope is where the party is at! I can ride slopes that steep, but they're only a tenth of the size.

There is actually a bigger lake at the bottom of the slope, it's going to called "The Slope" from now on. it is Tal-yLlyn.

Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:19 am

how do you ride them? falling leaf style?

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:20 am

Ben wrote:how do you ride them? falling leaf style?

straight down, switch.
My site: [color="Red"]OneDayMedia[/color]

The 6th degree

Post by The 6th degree » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:35 am

On your arse...

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:44 am

I've got my heelsides down easy, some times I drop the leaf when I should toe side, I'm trying not to though. I just need to practise toe side slides, I always think I'm going to fly backwards and smack my head.

I should go up after some heavy rain, longest slide ever. I've gone down about 80 meters once, the wheels slid easier then they turned it was so wet.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:45 am

The 6th degree wrote:On your arse...

You'd hit terminal velocity, I don't thinking smashing into a fence at 120 mph would end well.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 am

Brennig wrote:Image

By the way, that isn't The Slope in that picture, it's out of frame and to the right. Not in my wildest dreams would I ride that face, I've imagined it but I always end up dying.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:56 am

how have you not got any footage of this?
sounds awesome either way, ballsy in a completely different way then im used to thinking of.

leapb4ulook

Post by leapb4ulook » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 am

Gradient isn't the problem, its how rough the terrain is. Think tufts of grass and moss mean you never even get going.
Mutley wrote:Dude you are an inspiration, and a nut job all rolled into one.

Brennig wrote:Trees are where the party's at.

Return to “Ride Spots”