Strong and fast tires.

Everything happens here.

Moderator: BgSurfer

david0241
Slightly dirty

Strong and fast tires.

Post by david0241 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:49 pm

Alright so here's the deal, my pro 100 is now officially out of service due to destroyed t1 tires. Maybe it's unreasonable that I'm upset they only lasted a year, at least 4-6 months in days total of which the board saw no action. ATM I can't really afford new tires but I'm going to throw out the cash soon anyways because I personally see it unacceptable to let it sit in this condition with summer coming. For now, I'm riding it out on my Comp 95 but I need to buy replacements. So my question is, what tires should I get?

I'm looking something that's going to last longer than half a year of use but go FAST. I hear GI MAKS were the way to go, but with GI out of business I don't know what to think. Even with the t1's I find myself craving that extra bit of speed so ideally I want something that isn't sacrificing significant speed. I'd really like to hear some thoughts on this. P.S. I ride in all conditions, wet/dry cement, gravel, dirt, mud, grass, you name it.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:02 am

ive had a pair of t1 for nearly 3 years now. they are quite warn but still usable. when you say 'destroyed' what do you mean exactly?

i assume your looking for 8 inch tires, i recently got some primo alphas and they are pretty nice, not as fast as the t1s though. generally for speed you want a tire with a strong centre bead.
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:17 am

Maybe he had the old T1s that felt like chewing gum, they're really soft and get eaten up by tarmac and gravel.
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:03 am

you mean the grey ones?
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

LivEviL

Post by LivEviL » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:04 am

David were do you live? I may have a set of MAKS I would sell you.
He's no good to me dead.

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:12 pm

I live in western Washington, and by destroyed I mean either almost completely bald or the tire has literally forced itself apart. I tried riding on them for a while but after puncture #4 in a week I was just done. I'm not at home now or else I'd attach a picture or the balder tires but you can get an idea by the condition of the tire in the left picture. For a while I was dealing with the holes with rubber cement. One tire has still ehld strong with several layers of rubber cement and a tube patch. The other however, has been nothing but trouble. They both have similar damages. The one pictured was first attempted to be fixed with rubber cement after the tube patched. It quickly became apparent that rubber cement wasn't gonna do it this time... The tube was literally forcing it's way OUTSIDE of the tire from pressure. So I took the hubs apart again and used rubber cement to apply a layer of rubber I removed from an old bike tube and cut into a square. I then applied a layer of duct tape on top of this for extra puncture resistance and to help stop the pressure from forcing out the tube. This lasted about 2... maybe 3 days of good riding before it blew out again when my friend took it out for a ride. It's pretty clear that tire is done for, for good. I began to wonder if the tearing was due in part to high pressure as well as balding tires. That kind of puncture is beyond anything I've experienced before so I still don't know what to think. And beyond this, my other tires that don't have insane wounds, are almost complete flat on the center bead. What brennig explains seems fairly accurate to what I've experienced, the first times were just random either on the street with nothing really sharp, just a blowout, and the other one went when I was going through the "loop" nearby my house which is a forest trail made out of fairly packed dirt and gravel. When I opened up the hub and inspected the insides, the stitchign was fairly heavily frayed and I could tell the tire was damge just by that even before the puncture became so pronounced.
Attachments
IMG_12251224.jpg
IMG_11791225.jpg

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Brennig, are you talking about these? I wanted to get a set of the blues but if they are weaker I'll resist the temptation. Anyone know? I'm trying to buy tires a.s.a.p.
Attachments
mbs-t1-tyre.jpg

snowmonco
Dirty

Post by snowmonco » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:25 am

T1s are pretty soft. Puncture resistance is next to nothing unless anti-puncture tape is used. IMO I think they were designed for those UK grassy hills, to be fast and have an excellent grip. A trade off between grip/speed and hardness for wear/indentation resistance.
- Enjoy the Ride -

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Anyone try these? http://www.trampaboards.com/8-inch-black-trampa-tyres-hard-compound-no-inner-tubes-set-of-4-tyres-only-p-10047.html
I have to import trampa being in the U.S. and all, so I'm not too sure what my best option is.

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:32 am

Trampa tread is noticeably thicker, a tonne of grip too, and I've had no punctures since the start of the year since changing from MBS T3's (same thickness as T1)

Pro
Noob

Post by Pro » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:59 am

black tires are supposed to be stronger and last longer (even like black t1s) cause they contain more carbon or something

david0241
Slightly dirty

Post by david0241 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:54 pm

I've heard about the black tires being stronger in the past as well. I'm seriously considering the trampa treads because punctures every few times I got out is annoying.

@Daleyg3: How is the speed on the trampa treads?

Pro
Noob

Post by Pro » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 am

ive got trampa treads and i didnt notice any difference when i switched from blueT1s to them apart from they dont dig in when i slide if that makes sense?, they might be slightly heavier aswell but not noticibly

LivEviL

8 Inch Black Alpha

Post by LivEviL » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:15 am

david0241 wrote:Anyone try these? http://www.trampaboards.com/8-inch-black-trampa-tyres-hard-compound-no-inner-tubes-set-of-4-tyres-only-p-10047.html
I have to import trampa being in the U.S. and all, so I'm not too sure what my best option is.

I have a set of 8 Inch Black Alpha from TRAMPA if your interested $50 free shipping.
http://trampaboards.com/8-inch-black-alpha-tyre-no-inner-tube-single-p-10033.html
He's no good to me dead.

saul
Dirty

Post by saul » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:47 am

blue t1 is the worst tires on which I rode. grey ones is much more stronger and harder. and the black ones is the bes of t1

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:43 am

Speed on Trampa tread is very good, I use MBS Tri-spoke hubs with them = wider contact area. Compared to my T3's or T1's on Twistars they keep their speed much better.

Return to “Surfing Dirt Main Forum”