frankenboarding

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:36 am

reinforced snowboard for the above mentioned oversized skateboard.
and carbon stiffened trama kite board. they said it wouldn't stick but standing tests so far have been all good, no delam. have killed my dremmel trying to cut the 3 layers of carbon tho:mad:

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am

[SIZE="3"]Don't know if you saw this one belac. But my son likes the way it rides:[/SIZE]
(Just picked up a "new" (old) MBS Ambush Warrior deck on ebay for $19 -- thinking about adding ABEC 11, 4" flywheels for a MB-Skate Hybrid)

BgSurfer wrote:I put this together for my son with the bad left ankle (4 surgeries). He loves it ...

Thanks to my SD Bruthas MarkBrosnan and Brennig for the wheel suggestions, Bennet Alligators and Abec 11 Gumballs. My son chose the Abec 11 Gumballs, 76 mm x 75 A.

MBS Jeep Rennegade deck and MBS ATS trucks (15.75" axles).

~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke
http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/2009/10/street-carver-keeping-stoke-riding.html
The older I get, the better I was...
Ride what you like. :cool:[color="Green"][/color]

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:19 am

that's a bloody good idea bg, the angles would be just right I guess, but I guess the turning a tiny bit limited because of the height of skate wheels compared to pneumatics? I guess just ride loose bushings and she'll be right. I think you could do some awesome grip job on that deck, maybe even expose the wood in places.
I still dream of one of those local trip handmade wood decks the Columbians or Brazilians make, one day i'll have cash for boards again

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 am

belac wrote:I guess the turning a tiny bit limited because of the height of skate wheels compared to pneumatics? I guess just ride loose bushings and she'll be right.

That's what I thought too. But it seems to turn pretty well. The deck rides 2-1/8" (5.4 cm) above the ground. I haven't ridden it because I have been grounded for medical reasons -- will be for another 3 mos. Would love to take it up for a test flight.

Because of the deck and axle lengths, the wheels look a lot smaller in the pictures than they really are. That 76 mm diam is a big wheel. I would like to try the ABEC 11 Flywheels at 100 mm.

Here is a phone camera short video -- not too great -- of my son riding it the afternoon I finished putting it together. He hadn't been on a longboard in over a year and the bushings (MBS orange, medium duro) were new and "stiff." He pulled off a decent backside rail-grab 180 just the same:

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10100461456366647

~~~~~
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Left the trampa heaps of time to cure but wad off sick last week and bordom gave me the motivation toget her rideable.

Gi maks and crossairs, martrix lights with wobbly oranges wound as tight as a a nuns clunge, carbon reinforced trampa short, and f3s redrilled for widest stance possible.

More boardenstine projects gathering dust in the lab, but will probably have to wait till i'm next i'll to get round to them.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:31 am

Probably didn't know this when you had all your carbon-cutting-dremel-killing troubles, the best/cheapest way to cut any composites (carbon, glass, basalt, to some degree kevlar) is with a carbide hacksaw blade, grab on off the internet for £5 and it will meet all your cutting needs!
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:00 pm

Cool, i'l see if i can track one down for the next project, i ended up in the garden in a chemical suit just grinding the sides with a flexy blade. Even with the suit and full safety gear i still managed to get covered in carbon dust. Itches like the day after a cheap hooker.:eek:

What happened to your grannys curtains board brennig? That was looking very excellent.

Brennig

Post by Brennig » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:37 pm

It's lying at home waiting for the truck holes to be drilled, then sealed with epoxy. Whilst I'm in Uni halls with no chance of doing it here. Hopefully by Easter or summer I can finish it and actually ride it. But on the other hand I have very big things planned which will surpass Granny Curtains!
Russian Wives for Sale

MY DINOSAUR THEORY

Dinosaurs are from the future, they built a time machine and travelled back in time, unfortunately they miss judged the coordinates and got stuck underground.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:20 am

Drop thru mounted skate trucks. Just experimenting with it at the mo but my predictions for this is it will reduce the speed wobble and increase drift in corners. Need to find time to dremel out the second truck and get bindings on for abit of xmas testing.

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Interesting idea bud, let us know how you get on.

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:43 am

Thought I'd respark this post a bit with an idea I've been playing with. Drop thru chanel trucks in a striped back and recarboned dirtyleaf 95. Ages away from finishing even one truck yet, but the idea is to build a park specific jib board.

Ben
Old timer

Post by Ben » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:02 pm

fecking awesome!
I strive to ride as much as a go on http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum

BgSurfer

Post by BgSurfer » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:42 pm

belac,
How did the drop-through AT skate truck ride? Seems like it would limit turning radius. I imagine the lower COG was more stable.
The channel truck drop through is interesting. Again, how much turn responsiveness do you need?
Good to see you're still at it.
~~~~~

Keeping the Stoke

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:02 pm

With the skatetrucks i'm trying to create a specific responce for my kiting more than anything else. Seeing some of the southamerican riders go mental on skatetruck boards has made me wander if with a lower riding level i could get rid of bending leverage and speed wibbles. The project has been shelved till now as i'm trying to get some solid bindings working on it and did'nt have time to get them right. But its east wind season here now which gives me the incentive to get her ridden. Skating it round our car park at work it felt far less squirrley.
The channel truck drop thru is just the next logical step for this idea. The lower a board goes to the ground the more control the rider has, faster responce, better edging when drifting and much less speed wobble. If its carving your after then its the opposit you'd need i guess. I've got to find shorter springs or figure out a springless option before i can get to test these, but i'll post something up once i,ve done it :)
Oh and the other part of the idea, strenghening the boards with carbon, has worked brilliently. I,ve now done two fleight lites, a pro 95 and a sqidgy trampa short. I bought an old pro 100 recenly and will probly do the same with that.

buggley

Post by buggley » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:48 pm

How hard is it to get into kite boarding if you do it by yourself is it easy enough to learn
"from now on the only one im pimpin is sweet lady propane and im trick n her out all over this town" hank hill

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Dead easy mate. Mates and I thought ourselfs to a certain point and then started to meet up with others when we started to travel to meets. Just get yourself a simple 4 line 3m off of eBay and do a wind dance. Lots of tutorial vids on YouTube as well.
Improves your mountain board skills heaps as well, specially riding switch.

buggley

Post by buggley » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:07 pm

Will it be strong enough to catch air
"from now on the only one im pimpin is sweet lady propane and im trick n her out all over this town" hank hill

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:06 pm

Caleb, why would you flip your trucks if you're looking for a low COG?

belac
Old timer

Post by belac » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:23 am

Look again, matrix baseplate with bionic hanger and trampa green dampas. Its a franken truck i put together years back but was to loose to ride, i'm thinking changing the leverage point will sort that out. The old bionic hangers are nicely solid for grinding which is why i like them.

Mikael
Old timer

Post by Mikael » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Let me ask again :) Why would you keep your trucks flipped if you want a low COG :p

I know, I know, you said you like the grinding. Many people do.

Anyway, how solid to you think this mount is? I'd be afraid to ride it, I imagine it'd be easy to tear the trucks off on a big landing, or just hitting a rock or something.

Return to “The Shed”