OMG Kite Mechanics though..

Board building, design, technical innovations and new equipment. Post and discuss your latest creations, ideas, designs and builds here(Pictures not required LOL)

Moderator: BgSurfer

Daleyg3
Dirty

OMG Kite Mechanics though..

Post by Daleyg3 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:44 am

Since being asked to ride for Kite Mechanics in Longboard and Mountainboard comps by the owner Billy 2 months ago I've been seriously stoked! After lots of designing and testing the final product is finally here! 94cm length, 31 degree tip, carbon fibre bushing seats (Nompa inspired) with a carbon fibre and kevlar deck. When I say it's lighter and stiffer than a standard MBS setup, trust me.. can't wait to jump and pump this thing.

I'll be riding it in all the ATBA UK comps this year and the world championships in Serbia, in September.

I'll post again soon with some thoughts as to how it handles in all disciplines and some gnarly pics :)

Michael
Dirty

Post by Michael » Wed May 07, 2014 9:17 am

The bindings seem to be fairly close to the wheels, are you not worried about wheel bite?
I can do a wheelie on a uni-cycle...

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:21 am

At full lean I'm not getting bite on 8's, but there is drilled mount holes further back if I get bite with 9's or 10's :)

kitemechanics
Noob

Post by kitemechanics » Wed May 07, 2014 11:17 am

I am playing with one now set up with striker 9's and drake gt bindings at 15 degree. There is about 25-30mm clearance at full tilt so plenty of room for 10's with snowboard boots. We had made sure during the design phase to account for all setups, the idea was to translate the origional mk1design from kite friendly to out and out mountainboard. We are looking forward to the testing phase and will post more details. We will be meeting up to review our findings very soon and we can then move on to the titanium/carbon trucks.

sir seymour

Post by sir seymour » Wed May 07, 2014 2:06 pm

i have to run an extra wide brake axle on my nosno with 10's as i have size 12's and 21 degree forward on the front foot. The extra stability is nice though!
Looking forward to seeing it dale. Most people expect the heavy part of a nosno is the trucks because they look so gnarly when in fact it's the springy lump of glass which weighs it down. Brilliant for going through rocks in the mountains but always an issue for the lads who like groomed runs, going in the air and also on techy freeride where your legs burn out early.
Those trucks on a modern deck can only be a good thing!

Gaz
Slightly dirty

Post by Gaz » Wed May 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Congrats on the ride Dale. Also good to see a new company in the sport as well. Good luck for the season gents.

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:07 am

Initial thoughts (No I'm not over reacting):

Its turning circle, even with NoSno soft bushings cranked down quite a lot, is far better than my Old Matrix Pro's with Green trampa dampas.

It pops better for jumps than my MBS Comp 95 or Trampa35 long 17ply deck and keeps a lot of speed out from landings, more than my Comp 95 deck, about the same as my 35 Long.

It's super stable, NoSno alloys will always be the best for top speed imo and with them, on this deck, even considering the amont of turn, I'd have no hesitation taking it to 30mph+.

Return to centre on my Nompa and indeed other people's Nompa's was never as good as Trampa dampas. But these carbon fibre bushing seats are precision, the sort of precision you get from Precision longboard trucks, a noticable diffence that made me confident with the deck even more. The RTC is now about the same, maybe slightly better than Trampa dampas, but there's talk of new NoSno sized bushings this year. An exciting prospect for sure.

There's not really much more to say.. I thought this deck would only be slightly better than my Nompa I built. I was wrong, it's leagues above.. and easy to get used to!

EDIT: Complete on 8's this board is around 6kg, some 1.5-2kg lighter than most complete MBS' and Trampas.

Kiwy
Dirty

Post by Kiwy » Sat May 10, 2014 4:06 pm

That weight though...
Does it have any camber? I can't tell from the pictures.
How does it flex on landings?

Daleyg3
Dirty

Post by Daleyg3 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:09 am

Kiwy wrote:That weight though...
Does it have any camber? I can't tell from the pictures.
How does it flex on landings?

It has very slight camber, flex's a little but not much on landings (perfect for me), but I am a light rider at 70kg.

Return to “The Shed”